Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Luke308

Luke308 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bigfeet summed it up well...

My thoughts on the KLR 650 vs WR250R(X) :deal

The KLR definitely has more power...but what would you expect from a 650cc vs. 250cc? When I say power, I'm talking about grunt power...in a steep hill I can just roll on more throttle and I'll be good to go, where as the 250 will most likely need to be downshifted. That doesn't mean the 250 is slower per se, the gears just need to be managed a little more. It also goes back to what you're really using the bike for and what it was designed for...if you're expecting to break 0-60 speed records you've definitely got the wrong bike. These bikes were made to get you from point A to B at legal speed limits, and without a doubt the "little" 250 will do the job admirably.

Practically speaking I can not see any situation where the KLR's slight power advantage would enable it to get through a situation that the 250 would not. I can however think of many situations where the lighter weight and 6 speed tranny would allow the WR250 to get into places the KLR could not. I have had enough bruises and scrapes to testify where a KLR can not go...

It all comes down to personal preference and how heavy you like to lay on the throttle. Sure the KLR may be able to whip in and out of traffic faster heading up the pass to the Eisenhower Tunnel (which is fun...) but you're more likely to get killed doing that than taking your time in the right hand lane. If you think the minor difference in speed is enough get you killed maybe you shouldn't be riding on the highway in the first place :deal If you like cruising up Vail Pass in the left hand lane you also probably shouldn't be looking at 250's to begin with...that's why they make 950's and 990's :wink:

Excuse the unrelated tangent but I'm an avid shooter so I'll draw on my firearms experience to make this analogy: .308WIN vs. .300WM: The .308 is slower, gets blown around more, drops more at long range, and recoils less.... .300WM is faster, bucks the wind, shoots flatter, and the kick can really wake you up. If you're wanting to win competitions you'd be stupid to not pick the .300WM. The .308 needs a little more effort to run it well but it will shoot out X-rings and knock you just as dead at 1000 yards as the .300WM will....

same thing as the WR250 vs Bigger bikes... sure it's not as high performance but it will do the speed limit and will get to your destination at the exact same time that a bigger bike will and you'll save some gas money to boot....

If you're one to load up your bike with enough to gear to survive a zombie apocalypse the KLR will obviously power along better than the 250 would. Since there are currently no major outbreaks I would argue that if you have so much gear it seriously bogs down your bike maybe you shouldn't be carrying so much junk on your bike...less is more.

Some other notes on my brief ride of the WR250X. It's smooth, it's quiet, it has a low center of gravity which make it feel very stable, the EFI was not at all "snatchy", the brakes are solid, it's not real peppy - but once up to speed it cruises along at pretty good clip...that 6th gear makes a big difference.

FWIW - My $0.02

I think my signature sums up my overall feelings -
  2. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just gained four spares after putting a new set of BFG Radial All Terrain TA's on my Tundra.

Man oh man are tires getting expensive these days.:cry
  3. surly357

surly357 Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer:
    some good colrado/wrr specific info here and on the rockies regional thread lately! thanks guys (& gal).
  4. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got just 2 Rotopax carry bracket kits for the WR250R left if you're thinking of getting one. Free shipping, $129, you can drill for your best Rotopax location or use the different Kolpin jug.
    pics and contact info at www.BandBMoto.com
    thanks

[​IMG]
  5. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey, Luke!

+1 on all points. Thank you for providing your perspective!

You have an excellent running, straight tracking KLR, so I'm confident you'll find a buyer straight away. :deal

Let's ride again sometime! :thumb

Larry S.
  6. little squirt

little squirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so I'm kinda new to this website but not the WR...Is this the go to thread on here for all the info and excitement for our ride?
  7. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    1377 pages. I would say so.
  8. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey, LS.

This is the place.

Welcome!

-feet
  9. little squirt

little squirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:

yea, thats what i was thinking too :freaky
  10. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
  11. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    My R² has a new friend in the garage to keep her company...

[​IMG]
  12. mcwbyu82

mcwbyu82 WRR'er

Oddometer:
    New Nissan Cube huh? Very nice:rofl
  13. Foofighter

Foofighter Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer:
    Just placed an order for a 2011 WR250R yesterday! I have been lurking in this thread for months drooling over all of the amazing bikes that are in here!

All I was told was that the bike is currently in transit and should arrive in 2-3 weeks. Does anyone know, are the Yamaha bikes shipped right from Japan? Or is there somewhere the parts are sent to be assembled? Just wondering with the current state in Japan...
  14. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Nice Dan.. this was a close second choice for me when I got my Versys... I can't wait to ride it :freaky
  15. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    Anytime, Bill! The ABS and 0% financing sold me ;)
  16. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likely in a Yamaha Warehouse in the US.
  17. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    I'd think the same. With a low-volume bike they probably only run production once or twice a year, then ship them to the destination country where the storage costs are usually lower than Japan.

Because of slow sales the last few years, the earthquake may not have too much of an effect on supply unless a large plant got badly damaged.
  18. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Sweeeeeeet Dan-delions. Excellent choice! You're gonna love it. :deal

HF :thumbup

p.s. now she just needs knobbies, a skid plate, & some bark busters. :D
  19. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    After reading all the ride reports and glowing praise, I have decided to add a WR to my garage. I have some dual sport background, however, being mostly a street guy with some gravel roads thrown in, I like the super moto idea as well. My intentions are to purchase a second set of wheels, tires, brake, etc, to facilitate a quick swap. I asked on the WR forum if there was any reason that it was better to start with one platform or the other (X vs. R). The only issue that came out was the fact that R wheels are cheaper to buy than X wheels. Forrest, at Wheeling suggested starting with the X for this reason as well. One thing I had not really considered is if the slight suspension differences matter. In other words, if I buy an X and end up using it more for dual sporting than street riding, will the suspension difference make me wish I started with an R? Thanks for the insight and all the great info on this thread.

Heck, if I get one in time I might even be able to deliver coffee to the Screaming Beaver in person this year!

Shep
  20. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    The little bit of suspension difference, if any, won't matter. You'll either be satisfied with it as is, or want to upgrade it entirely. So, don't let that sway your decision. Simply decide if you like a black frame or a silver frame best. And enjoy....

HF :thumbup