Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:

Alright!!!:clap Another fellow HAM radio operator!!!

KJ6KVL- Thanks for chiming in!! :thumb

I would love to take you up on borrowing 2-3 more fuel containers for our brother ADVer noobs. I can link up with you a couple of weeks prior to the event to get them from you in LA.

I KNOW we have a few HAM radio operators out there...:ear
    Please chime in...

Cheers,
    Pablo
    ki6bdb
  2. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heey Lonestar and Roundtripping!!

Thanks for the shout out!!:lol3

Looking forward to seeing your mugs out there!:D

GREAT pics- I didn't know that mythical creature was caught on a pic!:deal
  3. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yoo Mike!-
    Yes- Velcro will be functioning:D

& I will set aside 12 gallons of fuel for when you & your gaggle of riders pass thru the Hot Springs on Sat.
    Any octane specific fuel for your 12 gallons???:ear

Looking forward to it!

cheers,

Pablo
  4. Shockdoc

Shockdoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have several VHF and UHF ht's that I use for the race bikes,send me your freqs, and I'll program them for the ride. Also have some chase radios if another support truck needs to use it.
  5. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey Shocdoc-

Thank You for chiming in.:clap

As we get closer, & we have a consensus on which band/frequency to use, We'll announce the freqs.
    I remember last year, or was it 2 years ago? We had a portable, stand alone repeater in use. If we can find that inmate and coordinate a location to hopefully cover the Race Track, Saline Valley & PSR, that would be awesome. I'm thinking location somewhere up on Hunter mnt should provide such coverage..:deal

cheers,
    Pablo
  6. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

doug, thank you.

we could have use a radio a week ago. we had like 27 riders and 3 trucks; yes, even after breaking it down to 4 groups, communication could still had been improved.

been wanting to get a radio now that we're doing long trips. will also one for the mex1k,

not familiar, so can you recommend a specific brands and model?

pablo, what are you using? deets pls.
  7. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting - this pre-dated my subscription and I hadn't read it yet.

Great article, ADVMoto is awesome. :thumb
  8. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I won't have it for this run but my ultimate plan for the KLR is to stash a 50W amplifier in the tail box I'll be running and one of those small/light batteries to run it (with the bike charging that battery as I ride). I'd then weld a tab to the tail box frame for a 5/8 wave no ground plane antenna.

I figure the KLR is such a pig it might as well have some special features. :D
  9. Shockdoc

Shockdoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you can't find him let me know...Pretty sure I can come up with something
  10. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great plan!

Thats something I wanted to do with my 990 when I had her.

@shockdoc- Sounds good.
  11. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am good with either one :evil
  12. Shockdoc

Shockdoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Radio communication is such a vital piece of equipment. Kenwood,Icom,Vertex are what we use mostly. SCORE,BITD,Mex1K are all going to use VHF. For the bike you will have a HT in your backpack with a radio harness that attaches to the helmet, then to a PTT switch on the handlebars. I run both the Kenwood and Icom with no problems.
    Joel.. I'll wire up your helmet and you can use my radio and harness/PTT for D.V. The least I can do for all your hard work putting this ride on. Give me a call and we will set it up.
  13. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    What do you recommend for speakers and mics? I haven't really gotten to the point of researching wiring the helmet up.
  14. Shockdoc

Shockdoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depends on the application, for the cup drivers I use gentex mic with a 3.5 jack for ear buds, semi custom and custom ear molds. Off road, I use different mics depending on the noise factor, IE Trophy Truck, sand car etc. again because of the noise factor,very rarely do I put speakers in, just really can't hear the speakers over the high db of a big motor or exhaust. On machines with less noise speakers and 3.5 jack get installed, you can actually back feed an iPod through the 3.5 jack to the speakers for music. Now...you have to remember that race radio communication is not the same as the other commercial kits on the market that people pick up from motorcycle shops. It's like saying "I need a tire for my bike", depends on the application and what you need it to do.
  15. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about speakers in the helmet with the ability to mix in iPod & phone. My concern though has been whether it would be any good noise wise. Earbuds have been a thought, they're just a pain in the ass to deal with, I've got a set of Fuze molded earbuds and they work well on the highway.

My other concern with earbuds is filtering out ambient noise when I'm not running audio.
  16. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel-

I use a Kenwood F6 HT (handy talky) HAM radio with 3 bands: 144, 220, & the 440 band.
    Most common HAM radios for HT's use the 144 & 440 band.
    reliable manufacturers for HAM radios, in my opinion are: yaesu, kenwood, Icom.
    be sure if/when you purchase one, go with at least those two bands( 144 & 440) "dual band radios". My F6 is a triband:D and has been rock solid with all my 4X4 & dual sport shenanagins..:evil
    Check out the hamradio.com website- its for Ham radio outlet store. There's one there in Burbank off of Olive.:deal

cheers,

Pablo
  17. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    www.hamcity.com is good too, they're based out of Culver City.

Pablo, about the fuel cans, would you prefer to use US spec or NATO cans? I'll make sure I have a few ready.
  18. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good question. I forget the pros & cons of each...
    What would You use? :ear

What has more capacity??

thanks,
    Pablo
  19. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

91 por favor...Do you have a paypal addy...?...will prepay......:deal:freaky
  20. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    I've used both. Lately I use hamcity as they seem to average a little cheaper and they're easier for me to get to if I have to pick it up in person (I work in downtown and live in Torrance).

FYI I run a Yaesu VX-7R, quadband radio that is water resistent. Dual receive so I can monitor two frequencies TX 50MHz, 144MHz, 222MHz, and 440MHz 5W 144/440, 0.3W 222, 1W 50. In the Jeep I run a Yaesu FT8800, 144 and 440 at 50W with dual transmit and receive (basically it's two radios in one box. I can simultaneously monitor both sides and flip between which one I"m transmitting on. As an added perk it will do cross-band repeat so I can hit it from my HT and push on the full 50W.

All of my radios are modified for race frequencies as well. :ear