Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
    thanks, yeah I have a nice KLR, it has better suspension and exhaust n stuff, but like you when the track gets gnarly, or more specifically when it gets a steep downhill track, I can't handle it.... yeah too top heavy maybe....

Soooo I guess I'd better go try a few on. Problem is most dealers won't let you go ride one in the dirt :evil

mebbe I'll put an ad in the forum seeing if anyone knows of anyone selling a heavily modded but great bike :D
  2. Wasca

Wasca Adventurized!

Oddometer:
    If you can moderately handle the KLR in steep down hill then you don't need to test ride the DRZ in the dirt, it only get's easier and funner :lol3

You can watch some of my KLR videos in my YouTube Channel, link is in my signature.
  3. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    I have both the KLR and DRZ. Both are great bikes, but for off-road duties, the DRZ wins handsdown.
  4. lam007

lam007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I was going to get heavier knobs but I am riding mostly on pavement and then just a trail ride one day a weekend so I am wearing knobs out to fast. I wanted something that will still be ok in the dirt and gravel but give me more time on the asphalt.
  5. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
    oooh it's a tyre thread now :1drink

do what I do... I have a reasonable knobby on the front: Pirelli Scorpion Rally, lasts well, manages fine on the road and gives you great traction off-road.

On the back I have the long-lasting dual sport tyre. Recently was an Anakee 2. Was good enough in all but wet and steep terrain. They don't make that any more, I'm not convinced by Anakee 3 for off-road, so currently have a Pirelli Scorpion Trail on the back.

For your mix of riding, I reckon you'll find this a great deal. Good wear on both tyres, and traction at the front where you need it.
  6. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My KLR was the right bike at the right time, but the stable has grown.
    For me the KLR and DRZ are very comparable in terms of maintenance and after market.
    The KLR is better for road duties, but it's handled everything I've asked of it.
    The DRZ is much better for any offroad riding with it's main weakness being highway riding

I got my DRZ through a trade with an inmate here. Traded my KLX250 for it. I wanted something bigger, he wanted something smaller...worked out great for both of us.
  7. The Recycled Teenager

The Recycled Teenager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I did 3 years ago :D
    Two very different toys, you would never want to try some of the DRZ territory with a KLR, it may be possible for some athletic types but a lot less practical and far less FUN :lol3
  8. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking into putting new valves on my DRZ. I think I'll go with Wiseco valves. Looking at the microfiche, it appears as though the OEM valve seat is removable. What is the protocol here? Do I need to buy NEW seats or can I lap the Wiseco valves into the old seats?
  9. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
  10. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just sold one of my KLRs and I have one left that I use as a tug for a sidecar.

The main reason I felt comfortable letting the KLR go is that I now have 2 DRZs.. one a stock SM and another a highly customized street legal 2000-E.

I sent this bike to Eddie and had him....

rebuild and customize the suspension to my weight... 290lbs.
    and do a big bore rebuild, Yosh exhaust, E cams, new FCR39, Ron Hamp valves and springs etc.

But the key feature was adding a Nova W/R gear set. This gives me a E stock 1st and a bit taller 2 for dirt.... a bit of a jump to 3rd which is a great around town gear, and a higher 4th and 5th. This provides a 1st that works well in the dirt plus a 4/5th that allows comfortable cruising/passing on the interstate at 70-80+ indicated and the motor has enough poop to pull the bike up to the high 90's .... faster than I really want to go on an E with knobbies.

Its turning out to be the ultimate light weight adventure tourer for this old fart.

Randy from Wrightwood.
  11. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    what gearing are you running on that E ?
  12. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:lol3

If so... 15 front/47 rear. Plenty of tug off-road, easy 85mph on slab.
  13. lam007

lam007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    I'm on my first set of 270's and love them. 550 miles at Death Valley, about 200 miles on the freeway (don't really like the way they try to grab the grooves here in SoCal but not too bad) and another 150 or so miles in the mountains. They still look great and hook up very well for my conditions...mostly hardpack with some sand and rocks thrown in for good measure.
  15. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody wanna take a stab at this?
  16. MojaveSidecar

Oddometer:
    I went with 14/45.... in retrospect, I would probably should have left it stock at 14/47.
  17. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'm looking at 14/46 for ds gearing
  18. MojaveSidecar

Oddometer:
    I heard somewhere that for best sprocket and chain life, one sprocket should be even and the other odd number of teeth. :ear
  19. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    When it come to engine parts and so forth I like to stick to oem parts.
  20. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what the max rev's are on a stock 2012 drz400s.?
    And how about the RPM at say 65 mph?
    When I'm cruising down the road at 65,it just seems to me that the engine is just screaming.
    Your thoughts would be most welcome.