33 1/3 N C S + Cuba

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Throttlemeister, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well if it's any consultation , my laptop power supply was broken for a few days and got it going again on Wednesday:deal I'm doing all right on the pain, just sucks to be immoblie:puke1

So you want the ride report continued from Ecuador back in the good glory days of riding up until the get off or do you want the story of the get off first and then return back to the good old days of ADV riding??

I've got some stops to make this morning and should be able to get this going soon.
  2. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just keep going from where you were. Maybe the crash will not happen this time! :lol3
  3. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    This one time in Venezuela...

Some of the latest before I get back into the ride report proper. Got a little bit of skin funk going, thinking it might be do to the retractors and swelling I went through, kinda black:puke1
    [​IMG]

There where 49 of these little bastards, I got my dad pull em out for me, nice relief:nod
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got through with the Indian Health Services and get to see a doctor on Monday for the followup care:clap:clap:clap

All taped up now still healing up:
    [​IMG]
  4. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    shit boy, your leg looks like Freddy Krueger's face :lol3

[​IMG]
  5. farleywilbur

farleywilbur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Christ that photo is enough to keep me from buying a bike anytime soon. You just made my wife real happy!

Glad you are home and healing up!!!
  6. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn thats some hardware there John! :eek1 Looks like the Ole man saved the day there! :clap for those who dont know, John types with his feet! :lol3 So that means it is a bitch with the left leg out of commission. So I am sure it will take some time to get the RR going. Actually visited John today and he has a lot going on trying to get the help he needs from the Indian Health care system. What a f@%#ing mess for him. You would think a white, blue eyed guy would not have so much trouble!:lol3 "Really I am an Indian!" :D Ok seriously, John is doing pretty good. The immobiality is killing him however.
  7. s1000rr

s1000rr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ouch I itought the x-rays looked bad. Hang in there hope you get to feeling better soon.
  8. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    That Venezuela trauma doctor did do a great job getting that tibia straightened back up.
    He said he had to work on it quite a bit, 4 hours because he had to modify some hardware for me because I was special:lol3

Initial:
    [​IMG]

Post Op:
    [​IMG]

These are twelve screws from Latin America that where the worst:lol3
    [​IMG]

He said the fibula would be okay and heal up fine the way it was, being a non-weight bearing bone and all. This one sucks because it "clicks" sometimes that dosen't feel very nice. Come Monday morning I will get to see what the orthopedic doctor in Tulsa says, all my other doctor friends thought it would be fine, just waiting on good callus formation:pope
  9. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    Ouch, Ouch, Ouch, damn photo hurts me just to look at it.

When I had my little get off in Costa Rica my left leg didn't hurt very bad, just my whole body felt like hell for about 3 weeks after. Doc said it was because I bruised my rib cage and lungs.

The worst part was being immobilized and not being able to get around as normal. That went away about a month after I got a walking shoe instead of a hard cast.

You'll be all better for the next part of this trip. I have money on it.
  10. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, geeeeeze John, that was a good one :eek1 Hope the healing goes good for ya.
    Looking forward to hearing the rest of your story. :freaky
  11. matapo

matapo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nicely done. They left the fibula as it is because the articular part was intact plus it helps tibia heal faster.
    My best wishes. Get well soon.
    Greetings from Greece.

P.S. I m an orthopaedic surgeon ;-)
  12. sraff

sraff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now I'm feeling bad. For the last three weeks I thought you were sitting on your couch at home, watching fireworks and sipping beers. And now I read this, I was starting to think you were bulletproof, you do have a habit of tipping
    over. :wink: Enjoy the r&r with family and friends.
  13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work! That will leave a mark.:lol3 Why don't you head up here for a little R&R over Labour Day?

Hey Gregster, you still coming to the Soiree?
  14. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    :huh

wow, thats heavy. if you ever need a spare tire iron; you can always just dig that spare one you've got there out of your leg :D

get well soon brother man. remember: beer , weed, ample amounts masturbation and jalapeno nachos.

[​IMG]
  15. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still counting on you at the ALARR. Another doctor is supposed to be there that could give you an in depth opinion.Ob/Gyn I think. :y0!
  16. nightflyer

nightflyer Hors contrĂ´le

Oddometer:
    mmmm! be ready to do some explanation everytime you will go through airport security with that one!!!!:deal

good luck and get well soon (and next time we meet I'll tell you how I went through 5 hospitals this week end to get stitches on my open skull after a mountain biking accident and the bribes needed to enventually get it done, so overall Venezuela probably isn't so bad!!!!:evil)
  17. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    You hit the nail perfectly on the head, sucks to give up so much freedom. I've been in a walking boot the whole time since surgery and wondering if that will change or not, still hate the clicking of the fibula when I reposition my leg:puke1

I looking forward to walking again, I'm on extended 'break' from riding bikes for awhile:lol3 Gives me lots of time to plan thou, I will be riding that bike out of VZ for sure:deal

Hola Greg my old keg drinking amigo, fine memories on the Big Isle. I've met a whole bunch of great people on the trip:freaky
    I still get a kick out of how I captured your green bike in Fredericton IIRC unknowingly before we met up in NF:lol3
    [​IMG]

Starting to get back in the mood of typing a little now. Glad to have you still following along, lots more coming.

ADV never seems to amaze me about all the interesting people here:clap Thanks for information Doctor:thumb
    What are your thoughts about the movement of the fibula 'rubbing' back and forth. Do you think that will cause a problem with healing and should it be immoblized, ie; a cast up to femur to keep me from causing the movement to the fibula from my normal activity with my walking boot on?

I can't wait to walk again, crutches suck:puke1

I wished I was, I had a good run of it but slipped up at the end when my head wasn't in the game all the way, I paid bigtime for it on this getoff:cry I did however get to see a few left over fireworks on the drive up from DFW back to Oklahoma:clap

As far as tipping over; Well if for sure can't be said that I don't push myself a little bit:wink:

Chicks dig scars right??:lol3

This one's got a pretty decent story, the better part being all the ADV leading up to the stupid getoff:deal

Funny you are not the first to see the tire iron in there:lol3 I will be keeping that one once they pull it back out sometime next year:deal Think I might just zip tie it to the bike for a reminder and spare iron.

I'll pick a few out of the list and add hetrosexual sex and floating in the lake or river, and some good pizza. Damn I like me some nachos too.

Reminds me of a goofy joke: Guy walks up to a hot girl in a bar and asks nonchalantly; "Can I interest you in some pizza and sex?" As the pretty woman gives him a stange look, he replies directly "What you don't like pizza:huh" It should be so easy:rofl

It's going to be a little tricky, maybe if I sleep in the a/c'ed house and can find a couple hundred dollars worth of diesel fuel it might happen.

I'm not a doctor, but I'll take a look:lol3

Hola Mr, Y
    Surprisingly I haven't had a problem yet, but we are talking about Venezuela here:lol3

Sorry to hear about your experience but look forward to visiting the next time we meet:freaky

BTW Venezuela was just fine thanks to all the great help from friends down there and my family:clap:clap:clap

See you around amigo.
  18. nightflyer

nightflyer Hors contrĂ´le

Oddometer:
    Good to see you kept your sense of humour through all this, the force is strong with you, young padawan!:clap

BTW, I think you should make your avatar from that X-Ray, that would be one of the coolest in here for sure !
  19. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'd might make a better crusty old 'Grasshopper':rofl

Which one do you think would fit me best:ear

The break:
    [​IMG]

Or the Fix:
    [​IMG]

Or something a little more nasty:wink::
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tough plane ride back home:lol3
    [​IMG]
    This Buds for Me:1drink
  20. matapo

matapo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello again.The movement of the fibula wont cause you any trouble.Sometimes if the bone doent heal we perfom
    osteotomy of the fibula! I guess that you ll need 6 to 8 week with crutches(yes they suck).
    The boot that you had in the hospital is fine.A cast up to femur will just add stiffness to your knee.
    When is your next X-ray follow-up planned?