New OHV Trails in the San Bernardino NF!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by GSequoia, Feb 26, 2013.

1. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    It's a trap. Why close off all the good stuff and keep everyone on a few trails. Why can't they just leave shit alone? Not every little trail we ride on needs a sign saying its ok to ride here.
  3. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    Non-designated trails were already closed. This is about creating new blessed trails. Ignore it if you like but don't cry when something you want to see isn't done or your needs aren't met.

The SBNF is pro-access.
  4. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    There is no gotcha on this one. We are adding 14 miles of new trail to make a loop instead of running around on fire roads. And making 9 miles of fire road permanetly green sticker legal. And moving staging out from under the trestles finally. :clap

Open house this weekend if you wanna see the plan. Comments due by March 18. I know the folks in management in the SBNF and the green sticker grant guy in Sac approving it. All are ohv friendly people.

Support it or email your disagreement if you like. But you gotta show to know whats going on. They made the meeting next to the riding area on a Saturday in the late morning so you can sleep in and not complain about missing work.

Not sure how much more accomodating they could have been short of going door to door. :D

Mormon Rocks Fire Station
    7601 Highway 138
    Phelan, Ca. 92371
    March 2 2013: 10:00-12:00
  5. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    it's all good, but 50" wide? that is a road, not a trail...make it 12" wide and i'm in.:D
  6. Jeff aka BOLT

Oddometer:
    They cut about 48 inches. Barely wide enough for an ATV. Not legal for Jeeps, SxS or other full size vehicles. This is a newb area. Easy access off the 15 freeway. It's all good.

We do have another project on top of the hill (Big Bear/Arrowhead) adding about 20 miles of DIRT BIKE ONLY TRAILS. This will connect forest legally to BLM legal trails and a loop within the forest system from Devils whole and beyond. This is the big one that I have been pounding on for years. We got $220,000 in grant money for this year to get started on it.

And we ain't building fences with it !

SBNF is ohv friendly. It would be helpful if a few dirt bike guys actually showed up at this Open House so they think there is actually a user group that wants new trails. If they sit at their little display table all alone, whats the point of helping us? They might as well go get a grant to cover over more user created trails.

As long as there is a green sticker fund, why not keep them busy doing our bidding ? :thumb
  7. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:

ok now were talking, my parents live in cedar glen and we ride devils hole all the time. it would be awesome if they would take the fences down around the coxey creek area. thats above devils hole on the desert side.
  8. Jeff aka BOLT

Oddometer:
    Coxey Creek is part of the ROADLESS area forced on us by the Fed Gov. Protected area. We cross it at the top of Devils Hole. You've seen that small gravel pile there we toss over the creek crossing each year. Not much will change there. But beyond the crossing we will be trying to stitch new dirt bike only access to BLM and loop back into the forest. It shouldn't interfere with the outlaws. But for guys that wanna get off ugly fire roads and hit some more single track legally it's all good.
  9. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    This is is right there. I come from the Jeep world, I've only recently gotten into the D/S bike thing. I've seen the SBNF's Adopt-A-Trail system grow through volunteer labor. I've seen this directly lead toward keeping trails open (and re-opening trails that were closed for fire damage / etc.). You need to understand that opening up new trails is almost unheard of. The fact that the SBNF is opening trails for you is a major accomplishment.

In all these years there has not been a large amount of MC participation in the AAT system, I'd love to see this grow. If folks will show up to the meetings and get to know the forest staff I think you would ultimately see changes that you like in the forest.

Would this be a quick solution? No. It will take time to nurture those relationships and correct the tarnished reputation caused by careless riders. There is a reputation out there of MC riders being inconsiderate to others and not following the rules, this reputation can be fixed. There will always be assholes out there, let the stuffy 4x4 people see that not all of us are assholes (okay, most of us are assholes in our own way).

It's a lot like the saying Loud Pipes Risk Rights.
  10. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am planning to go. Hope to see some of you guys there :thumb

-M
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you been living under a rock? EVERY national forest was required to do Travel Management Plans and it is now only legal to ride on designated Open routes, all others are closed and ticketable if found on them. Same is true for entire Western Mojave BLM area except for Glamas, Lucerne, Barstow, Spangler, etc Open areas.
  12. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    :clap:freaky:D
  13. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    this message is self destructing...
  14. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    Shuuush... don't blow our cover.

:rofl

:freaky

15. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry buddy, but my parents live in the national forest. I'm sure if they got a flyer in the mail or seen one posted up somewhere they would have let me know. It's not right that you have to drive an hour to go sit at some Ba Ba boring meeting. Isn't that what corva and blue ribbon coalition do? Doesn't the AMA send representatives to those meetings on our behalf? I mean c'mon, they know how many people ride and what real riders want. Glamis had a fucking police staition for crying out loud. Dove springs on thanksgiving, over the years, there's so many cops, it almost seams like more cops than riders. A DUI checkpoint on the aquaduct road from jawbone to there. A dirtbike has to share the trail with a horse or a hiker but god forbid a dirtbike goes on a horse or hiker trail. It's really ludicrous. If they wanna lock us out, that's fine. I'm sick of the bs. Civil disobedience seams
    ms to be the only recourse left.
  16. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    It may be different in national forests not bordering 12 million people Southern California. I'm sure a national forest in Oregon or Idaho or Montana doesn't get the use like around here, but herding us into smaller and smaller areas just pisses me off.
  17. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    The Lybians lived under kadahfi for 30 something years. Eventually his people got sick of his tyranny. That revolution started with 1 citizen and grew and grew and grew. Eventually the people got the best of him. If more of us would grow some balls we could just tear down those fences just like the East Germans did with the berlin wall while the cops just watched. We could all ride happily ever after. So go ahead and ride your marked and signed trails with your fake smile while regretting not taking your freedom back when you had the chance.
  18. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    I can't (well I can) believe you are comparing the atrocities in Libya to our national forests. oh man. :norton
  19. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    If this was 1760 America I would be a traitor to king and crown. If this was 1776 America I would be a patriot. Right now most of your are in 1760.

Why do we need 220,000 taxpayer dollars to make a trail when we could just ride our own dirtbikes and make a trail for free.
  20. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    The people of Libya would still be living in tyranny if we (and the queen) had not spent billions bombing the place.