Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2005, 12:43 AM   #1
Autostream OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,826
Need extra space for spares/tools on the 950?

Not wanting to fill up my luggage with tools and spares, I have been looking to fit all spares and tools on the bike. Things like spare tubes in the front fairing, air compressor without housing etc...

When a new cpmputer was delivered to the office with some very nice closed cell foam, I finally had what I needed to use that spare 20mm space under the seat.

In my case I have managed to fit 8/10/12/14mm spanners, original pliers, folding 'T' handle ratchet screwdriver, pocket knife & a pair of 32/22mm combination tire lever/spanners...

When the seat is fitted, it sits flat and secure across the top and holds everything in place, even on my frequent plants in the dirt nothing has moved.

TIP: Used close cell foam as it will absorb less water when it rains or when washing the bike. The MK1 was open cell foam and a pain in the ass to dry out each time.

In the original tool box I can now fit the balance of the original toolkit, binding wire, several 0.5ml capsules of loctite, mini WD40 can & refillable can of chain lube**, 12v compressor sans housing and guage, tire repair kit, epoxy putty, selection of nuts, screws, washers, fuses etc, tire guage, electrical wire, duct & insulating tapes, needle nose locking pliers, spare s/plug, cable ties and other stuff that I can't remember...

I have also got three, 3 way 'Y' handled sockets with 8,9,10,11,12,13,14,17,19 tied to the frame behind the airbox where the excess plumbing used to live, I figure I should not need these often so they are tied with wire to keep them secure (I figure cable ties would probably melt from exhaust heat.

Anyone found any other useful p[laces on the 950 to hide stuff?

**I made up two robust caps from Delrin (hard plastic) off cuts as I had already had one can empty itself into the toolbox after the original cap collapsed, these can be seen as the 2 white round things at forefront of picture.

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Sweeet!

I think I've got some closed cell foam out in the garage- I'll to give it a shot- grat idea, thanks!

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Nicely done!

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Nice job mate
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
KonradKTM
Yes! Let's go!

Oddometer: 224
Great! I did not know it was so much space there - must be almost an inch or? how did you carve out wholes for the tools – only a knife or?

images from various trips: http://www.dropshots.com/konradktm
KonradKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
Autostream OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,826
carving closed cell foam...

For the first couple of prototypes I used a very sharp hobby knife. This foam is sort of layered and you could just cut through about 5mm and peel a layer out.

For the version you see I used a butane powered soldering iron with a nylon rope cutting tip (a wedge shape) and simply melted the shape in with lots of patience.

For those that are not metricated 1" = 25.4mm, so there is about 4/5 of an inch space to play with...it does taper slightly with the front being a tad thicker than the rear area, but the foam is 20mm and fits (quite snug at the rear, seat takes a bit of a push to latch down)

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,457
You... are a gotdamn genius. This is one of the best tips I've seen here.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:16 AM   #8
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
Another place to store tools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostream
Anyone found any other useful places on the 950 to hide stuff?
Behind the plastic side panels at the back of the motorbike, there is a narrow long space, adequate for levers and long spanners, on either side of the bike!! Beware of high temperatures though!!
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:38 AM   #9
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Thanks, Gefr

For finding a way to get the underseat tool foam photo back to the top of the forum
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #10
Dust Rider
Cuttin dust w/ the Dutch

Oddometer: 524
quick question

as a newbie, i got questions, where are you stashing spare tubes in the farring, just in behind headlight?? got any pics of this?? nice job on the seat stash hole!!
Dust Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana44mag
as a newbie, i got questions, where are you stashing spare tubes in the farring, just in behind headlight?? got any pics of this?? nice job on the seat stash hole!!
You remove the fairings (L & R ) that sit on top of the fuel tanks and place the tubes, ect inside them. The left fairing is where the canister is located (until you remove it)
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
Habenero
Is it summer yet?

Oddometer: 158
Great idea! Thanks for the post!
Habenero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #13
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostream
Not wanting to fill up my luggage with tools and spares, I have been looking to fit all spares and tools on the bike. Things like spare tubes in the front fairing, air compressor without housing etc...

When a new cpmputer was delivered to the office with some very nice closed cell foam, I finally had what I needed to use that spare 20mm space under the seat.

In my case I have managed to fit 8/10/12/14mm spanners, original pliers, folding 'T' handle ratchet screwdriver, pocket knife & a pair of 32/22mm combination tire lever/spanners...

When the seat is fitted, it sits flat and secure across the top and holds everything in place, even on my frequent plants in the dirt nothing has moved.

TIP: Used close cell foam as it will absorb less water when it rains or when washing the bike. The MK1 was open cell foam and a pain in the ass to dry out each time.

In the original tool box I can now fit the balance of the original toolkit, binding wire, several 0.5ml capsules of loctite, mini WD40 can & refillable can of chain lube**, 12v compressor sans housing and guage, tire repair kit, epoxy putty, selection of nuts, screws, washers, fuses etc, tire guage, electrical wire, duct & insulating tapes, needle nose locking pliers, spare s/plug, cable ties and other stuff that I can't remember...

I have also got three, 3 way 'Y' handled sockets with 8,9,10,11,12,13,14,17,19 tied to the frame behind the airbox where the excess plumbing used to live, I figure I should not need these often so they are tied with wire to keep them secure (I figure cable ties would probably melt from exhaust heat.

Anyone found any other useful p[laces on the 950 to hide stuff?

**I made up two robust caps from Delrin (hard plastic) off cuts as I had already had one can empty itself into the toolbox after the original cap collapsed, these can be seen as the 2 white round things at forefront of picture.

Great idea, I am going to do the same. I have a tow rope, two spare tubes and some rags hidden in the upper fairing sections (with the indicators mounted on them). the black plastic sections hold the tubes in place when screwed back down. A bit of a pain to get to, but as I said these are just my back up ones...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #14
MAKETIMBER
Blendzol or nitro?

Oddometer: 160
Where Did The Pics Go?

I sure would like to see what everyone is talking about. where did the pix go?
MAKETIMBER is offline   Reply With Quote