User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Long term KLX250S review

I've no hope of this generating the interest of Eeyore's great ULY thread but since a number of folks have expressed interest in the new (to the US market ) '06 KLX250S, I'll post my ownership experiences here.

I took delivery of the first one my dealer received at lunch today. What a sweet little bike! My prior dual sport riding has been almost entirely on KLR650s so my impressions will be tainted accordingly. Also, just let me say thanks to everyone that shared their limited first hand information on this new bike and their speculation on what this bike would be like compared to my old KLR and my other choice, the DRZ-400S.

I only have 25 miles on the bike so far but it's love at first ride! It's so light and agile compared to the 650 and of course, the suspension is worlds better.

The Dunlop 603s seem to work very well on the street and the short hop I took down a loose gravel road felt just like knobbies should.

The most pleasant surprise is the over-drive 6th gear (0.904 according to the owners manual). It will have no problem on the highway even with my fat butt loading it down. What will be a problem is keeping under 4K RPM for the 500 mile breakin period. That's just not going to be possible. This bike begs to be revved.

Now, can anyone help a suspension noob with some basic setup info? This thing has more adjustments than all my previous bikes put together ;-)

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
Dirtgrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
How fast will it go, do you think? How high does it rev? At what revs do you have to shift it? Congratulations on your new bike.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgrain
How fast will it go, do you think? How high does it rev? At what revs do you have to shift it? Congratulations on your new bike.
Not sure yet.

Here's the gearing according to the owners manual:

1st 3.000 (30/10)
2nd 2.000 (30/15)
3rd 1.500 (27/18)
4th 1.250 (25/20)
5th 1.050 (20/20)
6th 0.904 (19/21)

The tach has redline at 10,500 RPM

Final drive gearing is 42/14 or 3.000

Assume a tire circumference of around 82 inches which yields a very theoretical top speed of about 100 mph.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Assume a tire circumference of around 82 inches which yields a very theoretical top speed of about 100 mph.
It will very definitely run out of torque before it runs out of revs. A DRZ-S does also, and does not normally reach 100 mph actual, with far more power availble. But say yea for the 6 speed so that one can have a decent 1st for the woods without the bike revving out on pavement segments!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #5
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,439
I can't wait to hear more about these bikes. I think this bike is a great addition to the DS market for states like Wisconsin that make converting a dirtbike nearly impossible.

Lets see some pics!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 28,554
interesting to see the mods develop too...

god knows they really have to wring out the KLX300 to get it to hop...

oh, found this on klxzone...

POWER SURGE
Measured at the rear whell the Team Kawasaki KLX's crank out 34 horsepower. To put that figure in perspective, out of the box a KLX250 produces and uninspiring 18hp. Take a look at the devlopment that nearly doubled the KLX's power output.

• The stock piston was discarded in favour of a high compression Wiseco piston. The piston used is actually made for Honda 1100cc road bikes and requires machining to suit the Kawie.
• The 2001 thumpers are slightly down on performance compared to McFarlane's 2000 thumper because of this year's strict fuel restrictions. A higher compression piston was used in Andrew's bike because it drank hi-octane fuel.
• It has taken two to three seasons to develop a camshaft that Kevin's satisfied with.
• For durability reasons a forged steel Carillo conrod replaces the standard rod. Kavin had the conrod purposely built 2mm longer than the stock rod. As well as raising the compression slightly, the longer conrod also makes the KLX pull stronger.
• Plans are afoot to alter the combustion chamber to allow higher compression without detonation on pump fuel.
• The cylinder head on the factory four-stroke is very similar to the head on a production KLX. The port shape remains the same and the valves are stock standard. The only improvement is a clean-up with a porting tool.
• Staintune Australia and Kevin Doyle worked together to develop and exhaust system that suited the KLX. Modifications were made to the system to fit the KX subframe.
• The standard black box has a rev limiter that puts a cap on the revs at 9500rpm. A vortex ignition replaces the stock unit and has been programmed to rev to 11,900 rpm during dyno tests, the horsepower of the KLX is still climbing when it hits the 11,900 mark.
• A 37mm FCR carburettor replaces the standard carby. This modification alone makes a massive improvement to the KLX's low to mid-range performance.
• Heavier than standard Barnett clutch springs are the only non-genuine components inside the clutch.
• To enable the engine to reach maximum revs quicker a modified KX250 flywheel replaces the KLX flywheel. The KX flywheel is nearly 1.5kg lighter than the KLX equivalent.
• Kevin makes up a modified kickstart gear because standard KLX's have been known to break kickstart gears. The problem can also be solved by changing the decompression timing. According to Doyle the timeing is too far advanced which gives the bike too much compression when starting. Retarding the timing lowers the compression which reduces the strain on the kickstart gear and also makes the bike easier to start, because the engine turns over faster.
• The KLX's run Maxima 100% synthetic oil, which is replaced after each race meeting. Apart form that the engines don't receive any extra maintenace throughout the season. Last year, Andrew's thumper was pulled down a couple of times to check for wear but each time it was nailed back together without any replacement parts. The same piston and rings were used for the entire season.

http://www.klxzone.co.uk/klx_dirt_action_article.html
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
charleshmosesii
No skills no worries

Oddometer: 835
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to check it out, yay for me!

I'm with stupid, and I'm alone
charleshmosesii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
go man
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
I can't wait to hear more about these bikes. I think this bike is a great addition to the DS market for states like Wisconsin that make converting a dirtbike nearly impossible.

Lets see some pics!
Try Washington totaly impossibul
go man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd View Post
Not sure yet.

1st 3.000 (30/10)
2nd 2.000 (30/15)
3rd 1.500 (27/18)
4th 1.250 (25/20)
5th 1.050 (20/20)
6th 0.904 (19/21)

What's the primary ratio? I would really like to know so I can use this information.

I have a spread sheet that can calculate speed at given rpm and tire diameter that I use to compare tires when changing out on my street bike and also to compare tires when planning supermoto wheels on my KLX650. It is set for six gears. You key in the gear teeth, the primary teeth, the sprocket teeth, the tire diameter, and the rpm desired. It will tell speed in each of up to six gears.

Anyone wants a copy it is an excel worksheet and I can email a copy. PM me.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
What's the primary ratio? I would really like to know so I can use this information.

I have a spread sheet that can calculate speed at given rpm and tire diameter that I use to compare tires when changing out on my street bike and also to compare tires when planning supermoto wheels on my KLX650. It is set for six gears. You key in the gear teeth, the primary teeth, the sprocket teeth, the tire diameter, and the rpm desired. It will tell speed in each of up to six gears.

Anyone wants a copy it is an excel worksheet and I can email a copy. PM me.
I am using 2.8 as the primary ratio. I do not recall where I found that info but will update if I can locate it.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
I am using 2.8 as the primary ratio. I do not recall where I found that info but will update if I can locate it.
2009 primary ratio is 2.8 (84/30) according to the service manual. Probably the same for the '06-'07, as the reviews all mentioned the change for 6th gear in the '09, no mention of a change in the primary ratio.

Lots of info here:
http://www.gearingcommander.com//

Then click on Gearing Basics in the Help & Info dropdown

250senuf screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 10:35 AM
250senuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #12
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd View Post
Not sure yet.

1st 3.000 (30/10)
2nd 2.000 (30/15)
3rd 1.500 (27/18)
4th 1.250 (25/20)
5th 1.050 (20/20)
6th 0.904 (19/21)

For an 09 KLX250 the fifth gear is 21/20 and top gear is 20/21 the primary is 84/30 resulting in a bit higher rpm in both. This is per the Kaw parts diagrams for the north American market.

You can verify your gearing based on Kawasaki since they list the tooth count in the parts listing.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:36 PM   #13
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,971
Congrats on the bike, and not to open up another can of worms
for you, but dont worry about a soft break in, ride that sucker.
I really wish the 400 had a 6 speed, must be nice to have it.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Quote:

The most pleasant surprise is the over-drive 6th gear (0.904 according to the owners manual). It will have no problem on the highway even with my fat butt loading it down. What will be a problem is keeping under 4K RPM for the 500 mile breakin period. That's just not going to be possible. This bike begs to be revved.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
mewerj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
yah but if you are in an easy to plate state you have all kinds of options in addition to the drz400e i.e. a klx300, wr250f, wr450f, xr400r, xr250r, drz250.
mewerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #15
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Thank You Thank You Thank You

Quote:
I've no hope of this generating the interest of Eeyore's great ULY thread but since a number of folks have expressed interest in the new (to the US market ) '06 KLX250S, I'll post my ownership experiences here.
I've been looking at this bike since the first early announcements a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to a continuation of your experience with the bike. I'm 6'0" and about 210# with slightly longer legs, so I'm looking forward to seeing how well you fit the bike and if it will haul you around well.

If I get the bike it will complement (not replace) my DL650. I'm looking at using it almost exclusively off-road (and the pavement between the trails). Aftermarket dual-sporting is getting tricky here in Nova Scotia, so I want a factory street legal bike. I hope this is it.

Thanks for the information and keep it up!
Alan
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote