User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,851
I've fitted a new rear tyre - dunlop d908 not listed on the dunlop sites

This tyre does not show up on any dunlop sites worldwide that i know of.

From the side walls comes the following info:

rally raid dunlop d908 rr
140/80 - 18 m/c 70R

max load 335kg at 36 psi cold
tread 6ply 4 nylon 2 aramid
walls 4 play 4 nylon
made in france

the tread is cross shaped and quite unusual. The tread depth of a new tyre is about 14mm.

I've only done a few kms on it so far but will report further after I try my best to destroy it this weekend.

if someone would pm me I will send them an email with photos of the tread so they can post on this site.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
http://www.dunlop.pl/index2.html?sur...mc_D908RR.html
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

the tyre pictured in that link is not the same tyre in tread pattern as what i have.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Old 12-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
the tyre pictured in that link is not the same tyre in tread pattern as what i have.
PM sent

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

thanks tho got onto a local connection, now I need to wait for my aussie connection, atgreg, to post them for me.

For those who are curious I understand that the tyre is still being evaluated and was designed by an aussie rider, wonka.

Here they are currently retailing for $265 aud which is up there.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 853
Laugh what's a

tyre? Do you mean .. Tire?

haha! Damn foreigners need to learn to spell or they'll be as unedumikated as we is!

cb

try discountmotorcycletyre.com
Old 12-08-2005, 05:05 PM   #7
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Anyone know the speed rating of this tire? From the spec provided "140/80 - 18 m/c 70R" it would seem it's 70R. I don't know what this means. Is this less than H or V-rated? I don't require V-rated tire like Scorpion's but I at least would like an H rated tire like TKC's. If it's speed rated to low triple digits, that's one terrific looking tire for Central-South American travel...especially if its durable.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #8
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

I believe the tyre was developed for dakar style races and the installing dealer told me it is v rated. However, that said, the info on the side seems to indicate it is r rated which is good for 170kmh at full load.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,755
WOW do i like that tyre or wot

White pig

b0mb3r screwed with this post 12-10-2005 at 12:27 AM
b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

Tested

I managed to get out on the weekend and give this tyre a bit of a work out.

Firstly my speedo is not working so the distances are an educated guess.

Secondly, I ride dirt hard and tend to spend most of my time spinning the rear but not carry heaps of corner speed - I'm a point and shoot rider. Therefore my rear tyre usually looks like its been on a race track after a squirt down a dirt road.

The conditions I rode in were dry with the surface varying from loose gravel to shallow sand over a hard base but very little rock. I tried first gear sections through to fast open country.

The ride was about 200 miles with approx 70 dirt.

I have fitted a MT21 front and this D908, an emig damper and uprated my front springs to suit my 130kg weight and this ride was the first with this combo.

I'm not sure if its the nature of the MT21 or damper setup but the first thing I noticed is that the bike tips in very very quickly compared to the standard rubber. The transition almost feels knife edge and is at first a little unsettling till you get used to it. It seems to have got better now I've got a few miles on it but perhaps I've got used to it.

The bike now tram tracks and tends to follow contours in the road much more. This seems to lessen if I move my weight backwards so I will look at how the shop set up my suspension...

Ok, enough of the blurb.

On the standard rubber (the only other tyres I've used on this toy) it was rather disconcerting on any sand or deep gravel and the front would get very touchy. Now I just ignore the surface and go for it - in a nutshell heaps better.

The rear still spins in 4th (on the dirt) as the power kicks in around 5k rpm, I haven't found a long enough bit of road to see if it'll spin in 5th yet...

I could ride this combination with a lot of confidence road and off road and I'm happy with the rear.

It looks like the rear tyre will last probably about 1500-2k miles the way I'm abusing it. The wear is similar to the front in that the knobs are rounding slightly though it is retaining the overall shape and i did not tear any knobs off despite my best efforts. Again I stress I'm pretty hard on my tyres.

The now measured tread depth in the centre is 11mm - down from 14mm new, so I guess I've worn the tyre down a third in the probably 500km I've clocked on it since fitting - and all but 70 miles of it on tar.

I didn't see much rock, a few patches only but fed it through those areas as I was intent on killing the tyre for research purposes.

The tar/black top traction is fine. I've not ridden it in the wet tho. It's not particularly noisy on road.

A huge thumbs up for the emig damper set up - it makes for much easier riding overall. I'd rate it a must fit and reckon I'll never have another bike without one.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,755
Will there be any pictures coming soon???

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #12
Goldhelocks
You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer: 190
Tire

Wow, that is a VERY cool tire. (Grunt grunt grunt!).... Ok, can someone convert those speed and load ratings into SAE/American? I LIKE it!

What does it ride like on the pavement? Looks like cornering might become a bit bumpy and slightly unstable? I'll bet it is a beast in the dirt though!

Goldhelocks
Goldhelocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Dunlop D908RR

At the bottom is the link for Dunlop and the 908 tire or (tyre). They did not have the max load listed. I spoke to Scot Harden at the Nevada Rally Experience and he told me that the 908 is a better tire overall then the Michelin Desert tire. He also said that it was cheaper. The 908 tested well and is the preferred tire for the Red Bull KTM team for Dakar. I checked the price at http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do (rocky mountain ATV/MC) and the rear is $84.99 and the front is $57.99. I believe that Rocky Mountain does not charge shipping for orders over $100.00. Great price considering that my Michelin Desert tires cost me about $225 for the set. The next set that I put on my 950 will be the Dunlop.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...tire.asp?id=96

Live to Ride and Ride to Live.

ybracing screwed with this post 10-12-2006 at 08:47 PM Reason: missed spelling in title
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote