User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 11:51 PM   #1
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,318
KTM 620/640 E/GS Adventure History

We have been collecting information informally in the flea market but knowing those posts will soon expire, it's time to collect it here for the archives.

At the 2005 KTM Rally in Ouray Colorado, I attended on my 1997 KTM 620 Adventure. At the rally, I spoke with Silver Bullet who told me that these were in fact, very rare in the United States. It seems the original low-pipe version of the Adventure was not very popular here in the US. He too had one but had ridden his 950 to the rally.

The rumored numbers knocking around were: 5 imported to the USA in 1997 and 22 in 1998.

There was another bike at the rally exactly like my own. We parked them side-by-side and joked about the numbers (not believing them). Out of curiousity, we finally looked at the VINs. They turned out to be 4 chassis apart.

Since then we have collected a number of other chassis to see if the quantities are true. If all of the US bikes were produced sequentially, then there are more than 100. However, there have been differences seen in early production bikes.

This brochure photo shows a pre-production bike. Notable on this bike are the non-production muffler hangers and the clear anodized WP Extreme forks.

Here is a breakdown of some of the yearly changes:

1996: First year of the 620 E/GS Adventure. World market bikes have a low-pipe exhaust with outlet stubs. No US market bikes except for some grey market imports. Clear windscreen. Clear anodizing on the fork legs.

1997: First year of US importation. Dark tinted windscreen, black anodizing on the White Power WP Extreme 50mm fork legs. World market bikes continued with dual exhaust with outlet stubs. To meet spark arrestor requirements, US Market got USFS stamped, twin Supertrapp mufflers. To meet emissions regulations, the US bikes also got the dreaded Edelbrock Quicksilver carburetor and a charcoal canister. The good news was that the rest of the world got the Dellorto PHM40 and correcting the poor starting and erratic low-speed running was as easy as ordering the carb and cables right out of the factory parts manual.

1998: Same as 1997 but rumored to have a different shade of orange paint. Has not been confirmed. The Edelbrock Quicksilver carburetor showed up again and most were turned into desk ornaments or sold to unsuspecting quad owners.

The motorcycles located and identified so far:

Year VIN Owner
1997 7847 Ignore Amos
1997 7850 BLU HWY
1997 7852 AntiMarket
1997 7862 Unknown owner in New Mexico (eBay sale)
1997 7863 Spudly
1998 8543 ChicagoMike (likely a Euro import)
1998 8575 Pokey66C23
1998 8681 Tom Warr
1998 8739 Dillon@ZenMoto
1997 8742 hondahawkrider
1998 8744 Geekventure
1997 8791 G-Funk
1998 8792 K9OFSTRIKEX
1998 8793 Strega
1997 8797 Unknown in Ouray
1997 8789 DesignerRider
1998 8798 Silver Bullet
1997 8801 Donkey Hotey
1998 8805 Sold in Los Angeles 2005 (unknown owner)
1998 8850 Unknown sold on eBay June 2008
1998 8855 DessertRat
1998 8857 mtbdemon
1998 8869 Chaos616
1998 8949 peasandcorn
1998 8953 DaddyBigDaddy
1998 8960 Alfredman22

The interesting thing is that they are NOT sequential. My personal bike could not be identified by the dealer and KTM North America had to be called to identify the year. Others have experienced the same thing. Many titles have incorrect years on them and it has been theorized that KTM built the bikes in one batch and titled them in the year they were sold.

The import quantities could still be correct since not all the US bikes were necessarily produced in sequence.

Another interesting gem stumbled on tonight that kicked off the authoring of this thread is this photo:

Yes, an orange Adventure with orange saddlebags, so what? Items not seen on any production models (at least not in the US):
  • Saddlebags (believed to be the rare factory bags)
  • High pipe exhaust (not used on the Adventure until 1999)
  • Oversized, rally style skid plate
  • Black engine (Adventure models had silver engines)
European model? Prototype? The stickers on the fork leg and the studio setting suggest a Euro model or at least a studio prototype.

Anything anybody can share? This is for the archive guys so chime in if you've got anything.

Donkey Hotey screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 02:58 PM Reason: Updates to registry
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
GJohnson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
#8793 is now my bike (thanks Mike) and sorry to say it is not going to remain stock!!!!
GJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:59 AM   #3
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJohnson
#8793 is now my bike (thanks Mike) and sorry to say it is not going to remain stock!!!!
Hey, ride the snot out of that thing! It's not like they'll ever be collectible. It's just interesting that so few were sold in the US and that KTM bothered to import them at all. It seems hardly worth the paperwork for so few bikes.

It's also a glaring reminder as to why we can't buy the Africa Twin and other Dakar styled bikes in this country. Transalp? Tengai? Elefant? TDM800? Popular bikes in other countries but the US market forgot them before the last units were shipped from the warehouse.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Interesting stuff. Even in it's latter days in the U.S. market, not many Adventures were sold.

2001 = 110 units
2002 = 155 units
2003 = 178 units

Not sure on the 2004/2005's
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Greg, I have a 97 sales brochure...

That came w/ my bike- looks brand new (was wedged in the sevice manual) and if you have'nt seen one I'd be glad to share it w/ you ifyou'd like.

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 AM   #6
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
This is an interesting thread.

I know Tom Warr and his bike is in excellent condition, well used, but also well cared for.

I have a 97 Adventure brochure I picked up in 97 and it clearly shows the bike you posted with the orange saddlebags. The weird shape is due to the fact that the saddlebag is designed to carry one front and one rear spare tire. The brochure also clearly states that the Adventure is not available in the U.S. I haven't looked at the brochure in quite a while, but if I remember correctly, it also has a picture of a bike with the low twin pipes.

Maybe tonight I'll pull it out of the archives and look it over.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Even in it's latter days in the U.S. market, not many Adventures were sold.
Wow, Chris, that's amazing. I figured they would have been in the 4-500's by then (which is still an amazingly low number). Any idea on the 99/2000 models (I also have a 99)? How confident are you in those numbers?

I have the brochure that came with my bike but it shows the studio photo of the bike with the clear windscreen and the drilled muffler bracket: no hint of the plastic saddlebagged bike. In fact, there is a small studio shot of what appears to be accessory aluminum bags. I'd guess the one showing the saddlebags was from a 1996 brochure? It's time for us to fire up our scanners and share some pictures. This is good
Old 12-29-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCifu
Wow, Chris, that's amazing. I figured they would have been in the 4-500's by then (which is still an amazingly low number). Any idea on the 99/2000 models (I also have a 99)? How confident are you in those numbers?

I have the brochure that came with my bike but it shows the studio photo of the bike with the clear windscreen and the drilled muffler bracket: no hint of the plastic saddlebagged bike. In fact, there is a small studio shot of what appears to be accessory aluminum bags. I'd guess the one showing the saddlebags was from a 1996 brochure? It's time for us to fire up our scanners and share some pictures. This is good
The 01-03 640 Adventure front rim recall states that approximately 430 bikes sold in the USA are affected (as I recall). So that is three years worth!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
Shahrizan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hello Guys..

ive been Googling for dry weight and bhp the 620 Adventure.. but i cant get any..

may i know the details, guys??
Shahrizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrizan
Hello Guys..

ive been Googling for dry weight and bhp the 620 Adventure.. but i cant get any..

may i know the details, guys??
Welcome Shahrizan.

According to the July 1998 issue of Cycle World:

Weight without fuel: 360 pounds (manual says 166 kg/366 pounds)
Weight with full tank 404 pounds

bhp 43.5 @ 7300 rpm
torque 35.8 @ 5000 rpm

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions I would be happy to look them up for you. The previous owner had a little collection of articles, magazines, and manuals. And the original briefcase too.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #11
Shahrizan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
Welcome Shahrizan.

According to the July 1998 issue of Cycle World:

Weight without fuel: 360 pounds (manual says 166 kg/366 pounds)
Weight with full tank 404 pounds

bhp 43.5 @ 7300 rpm
torque 35.8 @ 5000 rpm

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions I would be happy to look them up for you. The previous owner had a little collection of articles, magazines, and manuals. And the original briefcase too.
Cheers pal!
Shahrizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 800
I am curious to know the difference between the 620 Advnture low mounted exhausts: the supertrapp ones that have disks in the end vs.the standard exhaust canister style exhaust with outlet stubs (as shown by the 1st pic in this thread). As stated in the first post: "World market bikes continued with dual exhaust with outlet stubs. To meet spark arrestor requirements, US Market got USFS stamped, twin Supertrapp mufflers."

Mine has the supertrapp- but they are a little ratty (PO stored the bike outside). I was originally looking at fabricating something to replace this system as I go thru stream crossings on allot of my rides. I thought of just bending the supertrapps up at 45 degrees but I decided against it. My main reason being that its disk system pushes out heat and pressure around the endcap of the exhuast, rather than straight back like a standard exhaust, and I didn't want it to cook anything that might be in side bags and/or reserve tank.

Anyway, thanks to the Flea Market here on ADV, I just picked up a clean looking OEM full system with the more standard looking outlet stubs. So I was wondering how much of a difference there are between the two systems if anyone knows? I am hoping it won't impact performance much (I have the fcr carb in it), but I hope it 's quietier as this will be my offroad bike. I am really psyched about it, as it comes in pieces. It looks easy enough to add a pipe on each side withs a bend before the canister to make a Rallye-ish looking echaust..

Anyone know the difference between the two...

Thanks In Advance

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

I fear that the problem you're going to run into is the stub exhausts is they don't have USFS legal spark arrestors. That's why we got a different exhaust in the US. If you're using it for your offroad exhaust, whacha' gonna' do when Ranger Rick pulls you over?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Very Cool Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Anything anybody can share?
VERY happy to have stumbled upon this thread/find other owners.....I had no idea these bikes were so rare until I showed up in Denver to buy VIN 8793 last month. Purchased from 4th(?) owner and ADVRider member RedRice (Garr Rice) in September 08. Really enjoying the bike and looking forward to returning to CO. for West Fest 09!
So, for the record (on page one), Vin 8793 now belongs to "ME".

A few nice MODS on the bike "As Purchased"

-Custom rallye exhaust
-FCR39MXII carb (JD jet kit, R&D mixture screw, Honda diaphram).
-30mm risers by loaded
-12V outlet on left of console. Switch to..."nothing".... on right side (I may utilize that switch for heated grips in the future)

Only MODs "I've made" (thus far) was purchase/install of right mirror and installation of Baja Designs LED rear tail/brake light & license plate holder and flush mount turn signals....

Mods in waiting:

-Build date for new Renazco seat is January 19th
-Another set of custom "Crawdad Racing" Graphics on order from Hunt Graphics: http://www.huntgraphic.com/CUSTOM.htm

Link to trip report/photos documenting post purchase ride back to San Diego from Denver last month:
http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/i...showtopic=3007
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 10-08-2008 at 06:59 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
GJohnson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Crawdaddy, I sold that bike to Redrice. Glad it has a good home!! (thats one of those bikes that I wish I had not sold)
GJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote