User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Davest OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Ktm 640 03,04,05

Still trying to decide on a DR or 640, interested to know if there was any changes from 03 to 05 for the KTM as possibly looking at a low k second hand bike from these years as an option to the DR.

Cheers,
Dave
Davest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
03 KTM has high front fender and later years have mud magnet low fender (just dumb if you ever encounter mud).
03 has 1 disk and later years have 2 (unecessary weight)
Wider BLACK front wheel on 04, 05 (more weight)
General consensus is that newer front end mods were to make bike similar to 950 to smooth production rather than real world rider feed back.
I believe 04, 05 bikes get a oil nozzel squirting on bottom of cylinder head like the rallye bikes have. Other than that, its all about paint jobs.
03 is available in orange (LC4E) or silver (ADV) and later years only orange ADVentures.

BlitzBike screwed with this post 02-04-2006 at 10:47 AM
BlitzBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Two Dot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Never have seen a 03 640 in orange. Only silver, I believe. 04 and 05 got the fancy orange paint.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 96
I believe the 640A received the whole front end of the 950 in 04 (if ya can find one) including the larger forks.
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
The 2003 A was available only in a “somber” silver/black color scheme. 2003 was the year for the greatest single number of changes, upgrades, improvements... call them what you will.
These changes can be found here.

The 2004 model received, for all intents and purposes, the front end from a 950A.
I would tend to agree with BlitzBike regarding the value of those "improvements". They are arguably more beneficial to the street rider than the dirt rider.
It's a moot point, as unless the bike is a grey market from Canada, Mexico or elsewhere outside the US, none were imported into the US by KTM. These bikes, like the 2005 are all orange/green pearl metallic in color.

The 2005 model is pretty much a carryover of the 2004... new to us, a year old to the rest of the world.
The only major mechanical improvement for 2005 that I am aware of, and previously mentioned by BlitzBike, is the addition of a second oil jet, in all likelihood designed to provide additional cooling to the underside of the piston.
The fuel capacity was reduced by approximately one gallon, from 7.25 to 6.25, by modifying the inside surface of the tank. This was done to accomodate a rather large emissions device on the right side of the engine near the head. I have not seen this device in person, nor have I seen good photos of one. This change may have occured in 2004, but as we had no US bikes to eyeball, it's hard to say.
There are some additional changes for 2005 of arguable value such as the round folding brake pedal peg.

I have not seen close-ups of the 2006 model which has yet to make it to the US, although I understand that, much like the 2005, a small quantity will be imported. The most noticeable visual difference is the addition of the words "Dual Sport" on the tank. IMO... not exactly attractive. Are they trying to convince someone of use or intent with that reference?

Anyway, that's what I know or at least think I know. The only thing on 2004 and later that is not easily or cheaply fixable for dirt work are the soft black Bahr rims and the reduction in fuel capacity... although that last item may not be an issue for some.

I have a certain bias for the 2003 model and would suggest this year in a used bike. However, they command a premium over prior years that far exceed the typical year change value, due to the long list of improvements.
A 2002, although not equipped with some of the 2003 goodies, is still an excellent bike and not something I would sneeze at should a good one come along for a fair price.
A used 2005 would be nice; the cost of changing out the rims for serious dirt work (if they've not been done already) could be kept to a minimum by having someone like Woody's Wheel Works simply lace on better quality rims.
The front brake and fender issues are relatively low cost, and typical suspension "correction" is a common upgrade on all Adventures... unless of course you happen to weigh 150 lbs.

C

creeper screwed with this post 02-04-2006 at 01:45 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Yada, yada, yada...
The front brake and fender issues are relatively low cost, and typical suspension "correction" is a common upgrade on all Adventures... unless of course you happen to weigh 150 lbs.

C
You rang?

Even for a lightweight the suspension is undersprung if you are going to do any serious dirtwork. Former 02 640A owner and have ridden a DR650 some.

What do you plan on doing with the bike? Experience level?

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote