User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,974
Odyssey PC310 battery for a KTM 640

Has anyone tried the dry cell Odyssey PC310 battery in their KTM 640 Adventure? It is supposed to be vibration resistant and last ten years. They also recommend a special charger instead of a battery tender. Does anyone have any experience with these batties? Are they worth $118?

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,292
i dont have a real answer for you but,, worth the money? i dont know its a pespective thing. i can tell you that about 7-8 yrs ago i dropped an optima in my landcruiser that may go a month or so between drives, never a battery tender or charge needed it has been worth every penny of the $130 i spent on it back then.

IMO when its time for a new batt on my bike, my money will go to optima, odyssey ect. not a lead acid.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,112
I thought the stock battery was over $100 (well, bought thru a KTM shop anyways) so for a bit more that doesn't seem to bad. How much are you paying for the old style battery?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
Has anyone tried the dry cell Odyssey PC310 battery in their KTM 640 Adventure? It is supposed to be vibration resistant and last ten years. They also recommend a special charger instead of a battery tender. Does anyone have any experience with these batties? Are they worth $118?
118 yikes.

Try ebay.

Odyssey World

Motobatteries

They don't have the 310 listed right now, but keep checkin or contact Odyssey World. I bellieve they are a factory direct seller.

Most people that have installed them like them.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

I just started looking for a battery. They have maintence free batteries on ebay for $24 plus shipping that are Chinese. I was also wondering if anyone has tried to upsize their battery and what they did if it's possible.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,216
I have an Odyssee on my Beemer sixfiddy. It gets shaken around just like it would on a properly used KTM. So far it has withstool all I threw at it (and all I threw myself against ). Very sturdy, and you never have to worry about acid leaking from it when you gently lay you bike on its side again.

Imho worth it's money (and in my case it weighs half as much as the stock battery).
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:47 AM   #7
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Imho worth it's money (and in my case it weighs half as much as the stock battery).
I may try one next on my NX - would you believe that the Odyssey is actually half a pound heavier than a Yuasa though (5.9lb to 5.4lb) even though the Odyssey is slightly smaller in each dimension

One major benefit for my bike anyway, is that that Yuasa has 120 CCA, against the Odyssey at 310, so hopefully that would mean I'd have to use the kicker less

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
I just started looking for a battery. They have maintence free batteries on ebay for $24 plus shipping that are Chinese. I was also wondering if anyone has tried to upsize their battery and what they did if it's possible.
Hmmm, isn't everything made in China now? (don't know whether to laugh or cry about that one...)

Anywho, I have experience with putting, nay scratch that, with having a larger battery put into my brand spankin' new bike. Casper Mountain Motorsports in Wyoming thought that since Partz Limited sent them a battery that didn't fit into the battery box, why not tear the friggin' battery box out and stuff the bigger battery in there!

To make an old story short, there are a couple of bolts under the box that were slowly wearing their way thru the battery housing when it was found barely in time.

Why do you need a larger battery?

Old 02-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Hmmm, isn't everything made in China now? (don't know whether to laugh or cry about that one...)

Anywho, I have experience with putting, nay scratch that, with having a larger battery put into my brand spankin' new bike. Casper Mountain Motorsports in Wyoming thought that since Partz Limited sent them a battery that didn't fit into the battery box, why not tear the friggin' battery box out and stuff the bigger battery in there!

To make an old story short, there are a couple of bolts under the box that were slowly wearing their way thru the battery housing when it was found barely in time.

Why do you need a larger battery?
They seem to be less expensive than the little one that they put in it.

I just installed a voltage meter to watch the charging voltage of my bike and it would only charge 13.7 volts when running 5000 rpm. I figured a larger battery might help if there is room.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:

I just installed a voltage meter to watch the charging voltage of my bike and it would only charge 13.7 volts when running 5000 rpm. I figured a larger battery might help if there is room.
compact does have a premium...

I don't think there is more room, unless you could relocate (and rewire) the stuff sitting on top to somewhere else?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #11
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,011
Quote:

anything from 13 to 15 volts is a good chargeing voltage

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #12
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Odyssey for your 640

Quote:
KTM640, I cannot answer your question about the PC 310, but I can tell you I have used Odyssey batteries for many years, the best was in my R80 RT which was still good after 7 years of 20K miles per year of running. They are , as far as I am concerned, bullet proof, sealed, powder rather than gel, can be installed on it's side, back , what ever and can stand a ton of vibrations. Had one in my Honda XR400 R for 3 years before trading for my own Adv. R. I will install an Odyssey the moment the present battery even hints of being down.

I use the Battery Tender junior on all my sealed gel or powder batteries and have had nothing but success, not a single problem yet, this going on for at least ten to twelve years!!!!

The Westco may be a battery site to check out, they are , from my sources, made by Odyssey and may be a little less, so check 'em out. Also some shopping around may find you the one you need for some what less.

Contact me if you need more praise, I have had great success. Gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Question Well

Anyone? I may be in the market for a battery, and the Yuasa YTX9-BS (not a direct link) is "fine", but I do appreciate progress so I am looking at the following:

Odyssey PC310 which is 8mm taller than the Yuasa (but a bit narrower)

WestCo 12V9-B that claims to be a direct replacement for the Yuasa.

Didn't find a replacement for the Yuasa made by the recommended Optima brand, but that just may require digging

Old 08-23-2006, 06:13 AM   #14
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Anyone? I may be in the market for a battery, and the Yuasa YTX9-BS (not a direct link) is "fine", but I do appreciate progress so I am looking at the following:

Odyssey PC310 which is 8mm taller than the Yuasa (but a bit narrower)

WestCo 12V9-B that claims to be a direct replacement for the Yuasa.

Didn't find a replacement for the Yuasa made by the recommended Optima brand, but that just may require digging
PC310 fits just fine and is a bit over a pound lighter. The guy who sells them claims you can run them flat 400 times without a problem since its a totally dry cell unlike standard batteries. Personnally I found this untrue as the mechanic working on my bike managed to kill mine by leaving it sit too long(says it won't recharge) Now I am on my second one but, since I'm having as-of-yet undiagnosed electric starting issues, I can't really give a good review of the battery performance since it it appears the problem originates else where.
Also keep in mind that oddysea claims you need a special charger if you run the battery down because standard trickle chargers don't deliver enough juice to recharge them properly. So this could add to your cost.
Otherwise it fits great and is lighter but, I'm dissapointed on the claimed run flat aspect but, then again, I may be having other issues with my charging system for all I know ( battery discharges hugely on starting attempts and just gives that silenced machingun sound). And I don't suppose they intended for the battery to STAY flat as long as the mechanic let it go (months).--I have a really bad track record with mechanics doing this to my batteries. I guess they all missed battery maintenace class.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #15
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Did you take your old one to a garage and let them hook it up to their mega-charger? They always have one for zapping car batteries. But yeah, if your bike is having charging issues then it would be difficut to blame the battery... if you are going to repair your charging system, perhaps you should be our guinea pig, and try the charging system upgrade that Earthscape posted?

Thanks for the fittment information! I will probably go with the PC310 as well.