User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2003, 04:11 PM   #1
Arch OP
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Bluhduh Adventure R comfort seat?

Thinking it's part number 579.07.340.000 and recently off of backorder? Nope, that seat fits other LC4s, but not Adventures. Apparently the much rumored factory Adventure R comfort seat is a figment of someone's imagination...
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
WHEW!

had me scared for a second as i just got word that they were off back-order and mine would be shipped as soon as the dealer recieved it. but my bike is an lc4 and not the adventure r and judging from the pic looks like it will work. can't wait!

sorry about your delimma though. hope you can get a full refund. surely so since it was their screw up and not yours.

btw, how did your seat modifications go? any improvement? any details? or, was that jimjib that was doing mods to his seat? either way how did it go?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
Arch OP
Incurable Gearhead

Quote:
Said Randy: ...had me scared for a second as i just got word that they were off back-order and mine would be shipped as soon as the dealer recieved it. but my bike is an lc4 and not the adventure r and judging from the pic looks like it will work. can't wait!...
Yep, you'll be fine, Randy. Looks like it'll bolt right up to a Dual Sport or other non-Adventure LC4. And no worries on having the shop send it back, they're all good buds. Just wanted to post this 'cause we were told that a so-called "comfort seat" existed for the Adventure and that's what we'd ordered. Seems now it was just a mistake by someone at the parts depot. So it's just an FYI for Adventure owners - Don't bother ordering a "comfort seat".

As for seat mods, it wasn't me, but I plan to do just that.

Old 02-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #4
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Thats to bad it didn't fit. I still have not decided if I want to mod my Duke's stock seat, maybe by sending it off to Sargent, or order just the comfort seat.

If you don't mind my asking, how proud was KTM, and your local dealer, of their seat $$$. or just $$.:):

I might just start shopping for a lc4 or Adventure a bit sooner then planned, before the Duke ends up with the seat, larger tank, etc.

Arch, did you have a standard lc4, or something similar, prior to getting the Adventure? Just curious how portly the Adventure seems.

Cheers, mack
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #5
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

you can get the comfort seat for under $100. i ordered one for my lc4 online and got it for around $80 plus shipping. i figured at that price it was worth a shot. even if i don't like it i'll atleast have an extra seat so i can send one off to get customized and still be able to ride my bike during the process.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 02-07-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Arch OP
Incurable Gearhead

Quote:
Said Mack: ...If you don't mind my asking, how proud was KTM, and your local dealer, of their seat $$$. or just $$.
Dunno what retail is. What I pay stems from years of cultivating a loyal relationship with my local shop, and it's always less than the online or mail order prices that others quote.

Quote:
Arch, did you have a standard lc4, or something similar, prior to getting the Adventure? Just curious how portly the Adventure seems.
I've owned a buncha different scoots over the last couple of decades and there's always a dozen or so in the stable, but this is my first Katoom. When used as intended, it never seems portly.

Old 02-07-2003, 08:05 PM   #7
Vagabond
Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer: 484
Re: Adventure R comfort seat?

Quote:
Said Arch:
Thinking it's part number 579.07.340.000 and recently off of backorder? Nope, that seat fits other LC4s, but not Adventures. Apparently the much rumored factory Adventure R comfort seat is a figment of someone's imagination...
I think that everybody with an Adventure R and a sore rump was hoping that the LC4 comfort seat would be the "silver bullet" that we were looking for. But unfortunately this wasn't to be this year. Maybe next time we'll verify fitment before getting our hopes up. This was a collective error on KTM's and the consumer's part. Oh well, you can't win them all
Old 03-21-2003, 08:08 PM   #8
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

well it won't work on the adventure but i finally got a chance to install mine on my lc4 and put a few hours in the saddle today. BIG improvement over stock. no more sore tailbone. well worth the 80 bucks and moves the bike even more toward perfect. now if i can just get the sidestand kit i'll be a very happy man.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:34 AM   #9
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Randy,

So you replaced your KTM torture 2x4", with a proper seat! Hopefully the oem 2003 seat will be a proper fix for Adv R owners who don't want to modify their seats, when it is available across the parts counter. (Sat on one recently, and it was a major improvement, plus I never cared for the tri-color silver, orange, black oem seat on the 2002 bikes.)

I have been planning to order the Dual Star weld on kick stand kit for my Adv. though I expect I will postpone the kickstand, until I figure out how I want to do my Scott's damper, as I plan to use a weld on bracket for that as well. I can't imagine how spoiled I will feel with a centerstand, kickstand, and a comfortable seat. Expect if they find out, the Austrians will send one of their security team's to take me away!

Cheers, mack
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:47 AM   #10
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Wink The pursuit of comfort!

Yeah...I went through about 6 months of trying to figure a good way to a comfortable seat on the Adventure...Seemed Corbin or Seargent were too expensive, and also seemed that no one made covers/foam.

So after eons of searching BRAP put me onto GUTS Racing www.gutsracing.com They made nice covers/foams for the RX/C that happen to be the same as the Adventure seat. Give them a call.

As for me, I fianlly decided to just do it myself with a cover from Guts. I cut the seat down about 3/4", made it wider by about 2", and installed some closed cell "ensolite" in the centre portion to maintain suspension value given the cut-down. Not sure how well it will work (although I expect to get the bike out for the firt time next week), but it looks good, and is definitely more firm, wider, and on less of a forward "cant".

Here are a few pics:

See the whole process at:

http://www.earthwatersnow.com/KTMIma...eat/index.html.

The whole process only took about three shop nights. Total cost $80.00 for the cover, and an old camping pad I had laying around.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 07:30 AM   #11
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
Yo Flanny

I checked the Guts web site and they show seat covers for 640LC4 ADV thru 00. Is that the one you ordered...the Gripper?

Looks great, thanks for the post
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 08:03 AM   #12
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Thumb Yep..

Those are them alright.

Just call Andy and tell him I sent you (I musthave sold about a dozen of these since I found out they make 'em!)...Be SURE you clearly specify that this is the cover with the ROUND NOSE.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote