User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Stranded in Iowa OP
couch adv`r

Oddometer: 298
a

Thou shalt explore the outer limits of engine-braking, backfire, and hurl fireballs from thy tailpipe.

Renting Alaska: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155041

Stranded in Iowa screwed with this post 11-06-2006 at 06:57 PM
Stranded in Iowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
gtcoop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
i did this highway last summer end of july and had perfect weather,70deg f. it's 90% dirt..i rode my v-strom 650 and it is easy.i went from denali park to valdez in a day.
Attached Images

gtcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcoop
i did this highway last summer end of july and had perfect weather,70deg f. it's 90% dirt..i rode my v-strom 650 and it is easy.i went from denali park to valdez in a day.

Here is my Denali pic from last summer. It rained so hard all the way across, that in places the water was 2 feet deep. I met some tourers on a rented 1200GS and they turned around. I ain't that easily swayed.

No other road exists, really!
I have used ATV's across those valleys and chased wolves all the way to the Glaciers, on my sno-gos. No other road alongside.
All other roads run perpendicular to it.

But no matter the weather, Denali Highway is in fact "The Great One!" Of many in Alaska.

Even with the torential rain that I saw across the Denali Highway, it was a good hard surface, not slick or spooky.

One of the close easily completed routes. But understand it is still prety remote, no cell phones, real phones, or 7-11's. Your all alone, yet as we are seeing more and more public traffic. On one of our rides we didn't see but one other vehicle. All the way across, yet I did see an OLD 70's Honda 750 with bald tires at Gracious House (link). The guy was all alone, and he seemed unafraid of his impending doom. Oh well so much for tourists....

Gusgus screwed with this post 04-07-2006 at 11:03 PM
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
I caged it across the Denali a few years ago, after it was raining-the road by Brushkana was 6" of mud. As we were hitting the pavement at Cantwell, a couple of full bagger hogs were going in. I did not see a bright future for them...
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:50 AM   #5
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,029
WOW! the "Best Bridge Ever" award goes to
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,624
I agree w/ Gus and 5... there's no road in the area that you're talking about.

There was one though.

About 6 or so years ago I took my family camping back in there. Pitched camp on the north side of the Denali Hwy about 1/4 mile off the road. One of the guys on the camping trip used to head up security for some mine that's back in there and knew the area really well. We had a few 4wheelers and I followed the others back to a river w/ an old log cabin beside it. Long abandoned, it was still better than no tent in my book but not by much.

Close to the cabin was a river that looked like it was probably crossable on foot but you'd need to rope off just in case and you'd be dead cold on the other side. I'd imagine that the water level there varies wildly and at that time there were still snow patches and it was probably early June or so.

Jutting out from the other side though was a wooden bridge base w/ some rotted timbers still poking out over the far side cut bank. Not much of it there but enough to tell that at one point it must've been a well built wooden bridge. Long enough ago though that whatever road led up to it on the side of the river we were on had been reclaimed. Near as I recall though it looked like there might be some roadbed left on the other side.

A guy could get back to that cabin and the bridge stump at the time on a GS w/ less effort than it took Friar, 5, and I to get back up that old boulder strewn mining road in the Willow District last year. Terrain was different too. No boulders / some muskeg / some serious muck holes in spots. Might not be the case this summer. Regardless, it ain't a road by any standard and may no longer be a passable trail.

The chances of you running into it w/out some serious effort are zero but I suppose it might be reported on some maps of the area.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
WOW! the "Best Bridge Ever" award goes to

Yeah, you just keep thinking that if you have to cross it while it's wet!
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
TRACTOR RIDER
No Rules Gruver

Oddometer: 1,638
great time

Don't worry about it, Just enjoy the ride. You'll find gravel, pavement, rain, and if your lucky a little snow.

It should be a great time.

Alaska is FANTASTiC !

Have Fun!!
TRACTOR RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Hey Kyle-I'll try to order the optional "good weather" package for you when you get here but no guarantees!

The Denali is a good choice. The ends are paved, about 20 miles past Paxson and 8-10 miles past Cantwell. The condition can range from fantastic to impassable, depends on the rain and degree of maintenence.

You don't need a gun unless you are venturing well off the pizza delivery grid. There are about 3 places I carry and it's doubtful that you'll be going there on a KLR...maybe one place, I might be convinced to take you to my "secret" fishing hole.

Rememebr to keep in touch when you get here!

Old 04-08-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded in Iowa
Yes, I want the good weather package with a large order of fries on it.... thank you.
I just watched that documentry called Grizzly Man, that guy seemed to be out of touch with reality (I don`t want to offend anyone) and I don`t plan to be on the main dinner menu. Last summer a buddy of mine got chased by a bear while walking out of an outhouse in Glacier National Park (damn, I missed a Kodak moment, and thought it was funny untill the bear changed directions and headed towards my tent), and thats in the lower 48!
I will definetly stay in touch. Thanks. Kyle 97 Bandit 1200 Iowa
The "Grizzley Man" was a flippin idiot. The bears finally got tired of putting up with him. He wouldn't have lasted that many seasons in Spenard. You haven't offended anyone here. Stop by when you are in Anchorage. Barb
BARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #11
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
you said it Barb! no great loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARB
The "Grizzley Man" was a flippin idiot. The bears finally got tired of putting up with him. He wouldn't have lasted that many seasons in Spenard. You haven't offended anyone here. Stop by when you are in Anchorage. Barb
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,867
Denali Highway

BARB screwed with this post 04-09-2006 at 10:48 PM
BARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #13
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded in Iowa
I rechecked my Topo maps, and yes there is a another road that runs parallel to the Denali Highway, on the north side of it (or across the valley). Is that an old Denali highway? I dont know why I`m so curious about it? Has anyone checked it out?

There is no "old" Denali highway, and no road parallel to the Denali. There are a few side roads, the Valdez Creek mine road, Clearwater creek trails, etc, so I'm wondering about this map!

Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
RevcoMan
West Texas

Oddometer: 109
Hey Stranded...

I'm currently in Anchorage, after riding pretty much all the roads in the state besides the Kenai Peninsula and the Coast...

See my report at:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139555

If you need some questions answered from someone who is currently experiencing the state for the first time ever, send me a PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #15
BigX
n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer: 609
Don't wait for the Milepost 2006

The "publisher" told me it was not being printed and "customer service" did not return any of the 4 messages I left.

Find an old copy or forget it.
BigX is offline   Reply With Quote