Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2006, 03:30 AM   #1
Sycamore OP
d00b

Oddometer: 1,697
KTM 640 SM Exhaust modification

Peeples:

I need a few words on modifying a stock 2002 KTM 640 SM (yes, SM) muffler (shown pic 1 on attachment).
I just want to open it up a little. I have tools, 2 hands, half a brain and not much money.
I hear the groans already (not ANOTHER exhaust thread), so let me explain: I've done as much reading as I can on this forum (including the LC4 stickies), and either they are talking about some other exhaust, or there's a step that I'm missing, or some terminoilogy I don't understand. Call me dumb, that's*ok, but just help me out here.

When I pull off the end cap at the back of the muffler, I'm faced with a solid steel plate about 2 inches down into the muffler. It has a spherical bulge in the middle, gaps around the edges, and is held in place by 3 welds at the outer edges. Almost flush against the edges of the muffler is some steel mesh. (Pic 2 on attachment).

What is this plate and what do I do with it? Is it a spark-arrestor? If so, should it be removed? Cut or grind through the 3 mounting points or welds? Would drilling holes in it do anything?
Knowing this would at leat get me started, any further info would be welcome.

TO AVOID BOGGING DOWN THE FORUM WITH ANOTHER ZORST THREAD, anyone who has done this procedure is welcome to email me at katoombah@yahoo.com so I can ask questions direct. I'll be very brief and wont spam you, promise.

Thanks all.
Attached Images

Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
whow, never seen one like that before. it should have a flange with a hole in it. on the flange there should be a 6 bolt pattern for the Supertrapp disc's to mount to. this looks like someone cut it out alltogether and welded in a plate.
Are you the first owner?
other than looking on Ebay for a supertrapp or other used Lc4/SXC pipe I don't know what to tell you.
sorry, good luck.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
motophil
Paint it black!

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
whow, never seen one like that before.
It's the standard LC4 exhaust named HGS4 (engraved on it somewhere), as it is stock on all (European?) 640 LC4 since 1998. But I guess some US LC4 come with a supertrapp can.

- Philip
motophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
Sycamore OP
d00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by motophil
It's the standard LC4 exhaust named HGS4 (engraved on it somewhere), as it is stock on all (European?) 640 LC4 since 1998.
ok, now I know what it is... next question is, how to open it up?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
Sycamore OP
d00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
Are you the first owner?
other than looking on Ebay for a supertrapp or other used Lc4/SXC pipe I don't know what to tell you.
sorry, good luck.

No, I'm the second owner.

But the guy I bought it from was the first owner - he claims he never touched thing on the bike, and I have reason to believe him.

It's totally stock, even has the "Read the Maual Before Riding this Motorcycle" sticker still on the fender. By the way the exhaust also has a catalytic converter on it, halfway betrween muffler and header.

This is a mystery, maybe mine is different to the US models?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
The outside looks like the same Supercrapp that I have, but inside you have a welded on bit instead of a bolted on stack of discs and endcap... not adjustable. Bummer! I don't know what lies directly beneath that welded on cap (someone here might; wait for it).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Sycamore OP
d00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
The outside looks like the same Supercrapp that I have, but inside you have a welded on bit instead of a bolted on stack of discs and endcap... not adjustable. Bummer! I don't know what lies directly beneath that welded on cap (someone here might; wait for it).
Maybe the cap is welded there to stop naughty children from making the exhust louder? (We know what the Europeans are like). Perhaps the supertrapp discs lie benenath?
For the benefit of ADVrider I'm willing to cut the cap away & see what's underneath, but I'd require a new Supertrapp as payment for my service to the forum.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #8
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
but I'd require a new Supertrapp as payment for my service to the forum.
That's assuming that anyone here gives a shit what's inside....
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Maybe the cap is welded there to stop naughty children from making the exhust louder? (We know what the Europeans are like). Perhaps the supertrapp discs lie benenath?
For the benefit of ADVrider I'm willing to cut the cap away & see what's underneath, but I'd require a new Supertrapp as payment for my service to the forum.
Ignore ChrisC, he is awfully crotchety this early in the AM...

I have a stock Supercrapp wasting space in my garage, but it wouldn't be worth the freight to ship it to Dubai. It weights about 16lbs.!

Why not buy an aftermarket can? The one I am currently looking at is the Staintune. Completely mechanical baffles, so there is zero maintenance. They list for a bit over $200 in the USA. You can get their full exhaust for around $600. Folks seem to love them. Staintune is Australian.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #10
Sycamore OP
d00b

I'm planning on getting an aftermarket piece, but it's gonna have to wait a few months, the cost of this bike plus insurance etc nearly killed me. So I'm looking for more of a temporary fix, this muffler sounds pathetic and is really restricted.

I heard good reports about Staintune, but dealers here are limited, and often not willing to ship in a single unit.

Speaking of Supercrapp, I heard A-crap-ovic is also good.

Hey, anybody else out there know what to do with this exhaust? Come on!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #11
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
I heard good reports about Staintune, but dealers here are limited, and often not willing to ship in a single unit.
Why not contact staintune directly and see what the cost is for the to ship it to you. I think any prices you see on the web site will include GST ( goods and services tax), our equvalent of VAT, which you might not be charged as your getting it sent out of Australia. I'm not 100% sure though.

http://www.staintune.com.au/

http://http://www.staintune.com.au/contact.htm

Staintune Australia Contact Information
STAINTUNE: Australia's Pipes of Perfection
Phone (02) 4871 3188
International 612 4871 3188
Fax 02 4871 3581
Staintune Australia
51 Cavendish Street
Mittagong NSW 2575 Australia
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #12
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:

Hey, anybody else out there know what to do with this exhaust? Come on!
I say you should just drill a big hole right in the middle of the plate and look through, see what's inside. Your going to replace it in the future anyway and you are looking for better flow. Just go for it IMO. Keep us posted.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Ignore ChrisC, he is awfully crotchety this early in the AM...
Hey! it's Friday, it's gonna be 80+ F here in N. Colorado tomorrow and I'm going riding.... who could be crotchety with that on their plate?

But I still don't give 1/2 a shit what's inside a "Dubai-Can"....
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #14
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Hey! it's Friday, it's gonna be 80+ F here in N. Colorado tomorrow and I'm going riding.... who could be crotchety with that on their plate?

But I still don't give 1/2 a shit what's inside a "Dubai-Can"....
Karma baby, watch your karma...

That can is the Euro version of the Supercrapp, so it matters to most of KTM's market! I was thinking that there is no way KTM would ship that POS stocker back to Europe from the USA and simply used a Euro can for those bikes.

But on second thought the Supercrapps are probably made in China... so it really isn't all that surprising that they have the same anchor we do. Just a regulatory difference probably (adjustable vs. piss off! models).