User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
ktm frank OP
frenchy adventurer

Oddometer: 102
clutch noises

I own a silver 950 2004, in the morning when it is cold and its been sitting there for a while (at least 12 hours) i start the engine let it warm up t'ill i see four bars on the gauge temp. then i put it in gear and let the clutch go and start rolling the sucker tend to stalls and i need to let the clutch slip and its making a enorme teeth grinding noise like metal to metal kind of thing.bougt the beast recently it as 19000 km i think it a very early 2004 like the very first one sold in my province sept 2003,if anyone knows about that feel free to email me need info fast
Old 05-01-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Katoum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm frank
I own a silver 950 2004, in the morning when it is cold and its been sitting there for a while (at least 12 hours) i start the engine let it warm up t'ill i see four bars on the gauge temp. then i put it in gear and let the clutch go and start rolling the sucker tend to stalls and i need to let the clutch slip and its making a enorme teeth grinding noise like metal to metal kind of thing.bougt the beast recently it as 19000 km i think it a very early 2004 like the very first one sold in my province sept 2003,if anyone knows about that feel free to email me need info fast
Sounds like the clutch plates are sticking together. This is a common problem, some people feel it can be caused by certain types of oil. Try holding in the clutch and blipping the throttle a few times, the gradually ease the clutch out. Does this happen only on your intial clutch disingagement, or does it happen even after several starts?
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Doog
The Complete Squid

Oddometer: 101
Mine does the same - more so the colder it is. It's not so much metal grinding sound a s loud groan. Does it for first or second start-off (unless I slip it a lot) and that's it until the next real cold start...
I've taken the plates out, re-oiled them (let them sit overnight in oil) and re-installed - it helped, but still does it on really cold mornings.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
What I haven't figured out is why this bike does it, and not any of the multitudes of bikes w/wet clutches.
I've been a wrench for a lot of years now, owned 20 or so bikes, and even the dry clutch equipped ones didn't sound this bad. On the flip side, it's been 20k+ miles of hard riding w/no discernable slipping yet!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
ktm frank OP
frenchy adventurer

Oddometer: 102
clutch noises 2

it seem like the clutch is noisy when it cold or sitting for a few hours like today maybe 2 hours.i talk to my dealer and i looked at the computer whith one of is employee to find out that the clutch pushrod number as been replaced,feels like there is some kind of mystery soaring over that story.the owner of the dealership is a mechanic for 25 years certified lc8 and everything says that he replaced one pushrod on a 04 with the new one and the customer telling him that it still does it.so i am confused about that by the way the clucth do not slip.i will change oil for castrol what i always used on previous bikes because it smooth things out more than a lot.
Franky
Old 05-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
gbranham
Double eye

Oddometer: 987
Mine too, when cold. Good action @ operating temp. It all started after I put in Mobil 1 15w50 @ 6k miles. I've got Motorex in it now, full synth 15w50, @ 10k miles, but it's made no difference.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Lisa-Isabella
70's Girl

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm frank View Post

This is just normal KTM 950.

Only happens in cold temps.

They all do it (KTM's with dry sumps) I think

Because the engine is a dry sump you need to get oil to the plates from the centre of the clutch. The first time you use the clutch, in colder temps, gets the oil onto the plates then it all works fine .......... you sold the bike because of this ????? 2007

That's a good idea Digger, but Mort is right........... Not worth worrying about

Lisa-Isabella screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 09:35 AM
Lisa-Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote