ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Window_licker OP
n0b
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Blackpool UK.
Oddometer: 233
BT45's or Avon AM26's for the street?

As it looks like Im not going to be able to fit a 19" front to my 990 with ABS, i am looking for the best 21" for on-road only grip. Through plenty of digging the BT's and the Avons seem to get the best write-ups. Anyone tried both types, or give a subjective idea of improvement over the standard pirellis?

Cheers
Window_licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_licker
As it looks like Im not going to be able to fit a 19" front to my 990 with ABS, i am looking for the best 21" for on-road only grip. Through plenty of digging the BT's and the Avons seem to get the best write-ups. Anyone tried both types, or give a subjective idea of improvement over the standard pirellis?

Cheers
Personally I think the standard Pirelli's are pretty great on the road.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul
 
KTMax's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oddometer: 1,099
BT45's is the stickiest tire available in 21' Lloyd... Availability of a BT45 rear seems a problem in Europe. The Avon Roadrider is fairly new so not much info around on these yet.

But you haven't riden your own 990 yet I believe so I'd say give the stock Scorpions a good go first. They're good.
__________________
690 SMR

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Window_licker OP
n0b
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Blackpool UK.
Oddometer: 233
Richard

The Scorpions were good, but might as well go for as much grip as possible on those bicycle rims . Will change after my first service, UK winter is fast approaching
Window_licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Window_licker OP
n0b
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Blackpool UK.
Oddometer: 233
Quick update on the 21" wheel street rubber:

The Avon Roadrider Am26 front is superb, far superior than the oe pirelli's in the dry and especially the wet. Steering is slightly heavier , giving a more confidence inspiring feel of grip. The profile does seem slightly lower but I have not encountered any adverse handling or stability effects
Avon have told me the matching rear is due very shortly ( about july 06) so will give a further report when its fitted.
Overall, for my 990 the Avon is the road tyre to fit
Window_licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
bLaCk 8east
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bLaCk 8east's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: London, UK
Oddometer: 304
Those Avons are great - great grip. What are you currently running on the rear with the front avon ?
__________________
Go n-ithe an diabhal do chuid calóga arbhair.
bLaCk 8east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #7
spsduc
spsduc
 
spsduc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
Personally I think the standard Pirelli's are pretty great on the road.
I agree, I was going to do a 17" setup for my 990s, but I have just done a track day on the std scorpions and was very impressed. They got a bit squirmy when really pushed, but you shouldn't be going that hard on the road anyway!!! Apparently I was leaving black lines behind me on some of the corner exits! It wasn't spinning up as such, just laying done a bit of rubber. Very predictable. For serious track work obviously road tyres would be better, but for the road scorps are fine.
I have just scored a spare set of std wheels, which I will probably put a 606/ 908rr combo on for real adventuring and leave scorpians on the other wheels.
I have attached a photo of the rear tyre.
Cheers,
Attached Images
 
spsduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
spsduc
spsduc
 
spsduc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsduc
I agree, I was going to do a 17" setup for my 990s, but I have just done a track day on the std scorpions and was very impressed. They got a bit squirmy when really pushed, but you shouldn't be going that hard on the road anyway!!! Apparently I was leaving black lines behind me on some of the corner exits! It wasn't spinning up as such, just laying done a bit of rubber. Very predictable. For serious track work obviously road tyres would be better, but for the road scorps are fine.
I have just scored a spare set of std wheels, which I will probably put a 606/ 908rr combo on for real adventuring and leave scorpians on the other wheels.
I have attached a photo of the rear tyre.
Cheers,
And the front.
Attached Images
 
spsduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
Dotbond
Africa, Africa
 
Dotbond's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Dunedin. New Zealand
Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsduc
And the front.
I was there. These pictures are for real. The show off was cruising past KTM525's on the straight at Levels Raceway sitting bolt upright tooting his horn!
But his ute driving skilz are questionable! :)
__________________
2012 KTM 690 R
2010 KTM 990 R (Sold)

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014