User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Window_licker OP
n0b

Oddometer: 233
BT45's or Avon AM26's for the street?

As it looks like Im not going to be able to fit a 19" front to my 990 with ABS, i am looking for the best 21" for on-road only grip. Through plenty of digging the BT's and the Avons seem to get the best write-ups. Anyone tried both types, or give a subjective idea of improvement over the standard pirellis?

Cheers
Window_licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_licker
As it looks like Im not going to be able to fit a 19" front to my 990 with ABS, i am looking for the best 21" for on-road only grip. Through plenty of digging the BT's and the Avons seem to get the best write-ups. Anyone tried both types, or give a subjective idea of improvement over the standard pirellis?

Cheers
Personally I think the standard Pirelli's are pretty great on the road.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
BT45's is the stickiest tire available in 21' Lloyd... Availability of a BT45 rear seems a problem in Europe. The Avon Roadrider is fairly new so not much info around on these yet.

But you haven't riden your own 990 yet I believe so I'd say give the stock Scorpions a good go first. They're good.

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Window_licker OP
n0b

Richard

The Scorpions were good, but might as well go for as much grip as possible on those bicycle rims . Will change after my first service, UK winter is fast approaching
Old 06-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Window_licker OP
n0b

Quick update on the 21" wheel street rubber:

The Avon Roadrider Am26 front is superb, far superior than the oe pirelli's in the dry and especially the wet. Steering is slightly heavier , giving a more confidence inspiring feel of grip. The profile does seem slightly lower but I have not encountered any adverse handling or stability effects
Avon have told me the matching rear is due very shortly ( about july 06) so will give a further report when its fitted.
Overall, for my 990 the Avon is the road tyre to fit
Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
bLaCk 8east
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Those Avons are great - great grip. What are you currently running on the rear with the front avon ?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #7
spsduc
spsduc

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
Personally I think the standard Pirelli's are pretty great on the road.
I agree, I was going to do a 17" setup for my 990s, but I have just done a track day on the std scorpions and was very impressed. They got a bit squirmy when really pushed, but you shouldn't be going that hard on the road anyway!!! Apparently I was leaving black lines behind me on some of the corner exits! It wasn't spinning up as such, just laying done a bit of rubber. Very predictable. For serious track work obviously road tyres would be better, but for the road scorps are fine.
I have just scored a spare set of std wheels, which I will probably put a 606/ 908rr combo on for real adventuring and leave scorpians on the other wheels.
I have attached a photo of the rear tyre.
Cheers,
Attached Images

spsduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
spsduc
spsduc

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsduc
I agree, I was going to do a 17" setup for my 990s, but I have just done a track day on the std scorpions and was very impressed. They got a bit squirmy when really pushed, but you shouldn't be going that hard on the road anyway!!! Apparently I was leaving black lines behind me on some of the corner exits! It wasn't spinning up as such, just laying done a bit of rubber. Very predictable. For serious track work obviously road tyres would be better, but for the road scorps are fine.
I have just scored a spare set of std wheels, which I will probably put a 606/ 908rr combo on for real adventuring and leave scorpians on the other wheels.
I have attached a photo of the rear tyre.
Cheers,
And the front.
Attached Images

spsduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsduc
And the front.
I was there. These pictures are for real. The show off was cruising past KTM525's on the straight at Levels Raceway sitting bolt upright tooting his horn!
But his ute driving skilz are questionable! :)

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote