Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
sleepywombat OP
the DR650 pig

Oddometer: 456
tiger vs wee strom vs f650gs which one ?

my next bike purchase will be in about 12months, but i figured i may as well start the research now and hopefully when the time comes to buy i will have a good idea oif what i want! i currently ride an 05 dr650 (had it 12 months) and i love the thing however i find that i am less interested in the more technically dirt tracks aiming more towards compact dirt/gravel and tar. i commute daily on my bike so comfort is a big factor as is fuel ecconomy and reliability. ive been looking at bikes for the last month or so just to get an idea of what bikes i like. the bikes that have appealed to me the most are the tiumph tiger, suzuki 650v-strom, and the bmw f650gs. good points and bad points on people who have or had these bikes would be great..... i know they are all good bikes im more interested in the bad points people have noticed when riding these bikes.... thankyou in advance to those who reply
sleepywombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Holmes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Hmmm.... I don't think you'd be unhappy with any of those bikes...

However, based on my very limited experience with the F650GS I would say that it's probably not going to be a big enough change from what you currently have to be worth it. Plenty of info about it on this site I'm sure. Compared to your DR650 it's maybe a bit heavier, has more available factory accessories (like ABS, etc), probably a bit better on paved roads. Gas mileage is probably comparable (say 60ish mpg?). IMHO it's kinda expensive for what it is - those that own them will probably disagree ;-)

I currently own a V-Strom 650 and love it, so obviously it gets my vote. Based on your criteria it would be a good fit. More power than the BMW. Definitely lots better on paved roads than your DR650, probably a fair bit worse in the dirt. Plenty of aftermarket goodies. Good commuter, smooth, fun to ride on pavement, not so much fun in loose offroad conditions (at least for a noob like me). Reported mileage varies quite a lot - I don't spend much time on the highway, don't do a whole lot of stop and go driving, and get low to mid 50's mpg. Good bang for the buck.

Truimph Tiger - dunno about that one. I like the looks, have read mostly good things about them. Has 'character'. More power, heavier, probably the lowest fuel economy, probably the worst in the dirt (I'm sure there is plenty of info on this bike here). Most expensive of the bunch (bike cost + insurance).
Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
Grunt58
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes
Truimph Tiger - dunno about that one. I like the looks, have read mostly good things about them. Has 'character'. More power, heavier, probably the lowest fuel economy, probably the worst in the dirt (I'm sure there is plenty of info on this bike here). Most expensive of the bunch (bike cost + insurance).
06 Tiger = $274.00 a year insurance in PA with Allstate. I would think that the Big Cat would not normally be compared in this group. That bike is more in the GS/ V-Strom 1000 catagory. Try the Scrambler it may be a better fit. Try this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141616 or the following sites for Triumph info :
http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.ph...ews&file=index

Tiger only:
http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/
Grunt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
cgar380
actual self portrait

Oddometer: 267
well, I've had all three in this order; f650, wee strom, tiger.

The F will be almost like riding your bike now. I loved it until I rode something else for a couple of weeks. But I would buy another one.

I personally hated the wee strom, It was big and plasticy, and didn't have enough top end, and all in all felt unwieldy. I rode one at sea level for some miles and liked it but here at altitude, it was weak.

I now have a tiger which feels like a dirtbike on steroids. Feels like the F but heavier and more powerful. It still handles like a dirt bike and doesn't have all the jack plastic crap that you break when you tip it over.

That's my opinion and everyone knows opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and eveyone else's stinks.
cgar380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
CosmoSquig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I didn't ride the Tiger, but I had F650GS, and now I have a Vstrom650.

For dirt roads F650 is by far a better choice, especially if you choose the Dakar version. DL650 doesn't handle well offroad, it also feels not very tough (the F650 isn't too tough either, but it's tougher than the VStrom). ABS is also a good thing about F650.

I have a DL650 now, because it's cheaper. Besides I do a lot of road touring with a passenger - the DL is bigger and has much more power, so it's better for such riding.

If you ride solo, and the 48HP is enough for you, then the BMW will suit you much better. The good thing is the fuel consumption - f650 takes about 30-40% less fuel then the DL.

Both bikes are very comfortable (the DL's windscreen only sucks) and allow fast cornering on roads. My F650 made about 35000km with no technical problems at all, the DL has 5100km so far and no problems as well (meanwhile Transalp 650 - did 45000km and again no problems). These bikes are simply very reliable.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:08 AM   #6
uconnapharm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
My suggestion : No decisions untill all 2007 models are released.
2007 could be a fantastic year for new model introductions !
Triumph : a 675 Tiger ?
BMW : an 800GS ?
Buell : a smaller XB9 ULY ?
Honda : has promised 7 new models ; hopefully one will be a dual-purpose ?
uconnapharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #7
Grunt58
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoSquig
I didn't ride the Tiger, but I had F650GS, and now I have a Vstrom650.

For dirt roads F650 is by far a better choice, especially if you choose the Dakar version. DL650 doesn't handle well offroad, it also feels not very tough (the F650 isn't too tough either, but it's tougher than the VStrom). ABS is also a good thing about F650.

I have a DL650 now, because it's cheaper. Besides I do a lot of road touring with a passenger - the DL is bigger and has much more power, so it's better for such riding.

If you ride solo, and the 48HP is enough for you, then the BMW will suit you much better. The good thing is the fuel consumption - f650 takes about 30-40% less fuel then the DL.

Both bikes are very comfortable (the DL's windscreen only sucks) and allow fast cornering on roads. My F650 made about 35000km with no technical problems at all, the DL has 5100km so far and no problems as well (meanwhile Transalp 650 - did 45000km and again no problems). These bikes are simply very reliable.
One other point, the Tiger puts out :
Maximum Power106PS (105bhp) at 8,900 rpm
Maximum Torque98Nm (71ft.lbf) at 5,700 rpm

So your looking at about double the hp of the other bikes on your list. 2007 is bringing a new Tiger with more hp and a restyle (not to my taste for what I've seen so far).
Grunt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
Mr.Grumpy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgar380
well, I've had all three in this order; f650, wee strom, tiger.

The F will be almost like riding your bike now. I loved it until I rode something else for a couple of weeks. But I would buy another one.

I personally hated the wee strom, It was big and plasticy, and didn't have enough top end, and all in all felt unwieldy. I rode one at sea level for some miles and liked it but here at altitude, it was weak.

I now have a tiger which feels like a dirtbike on steroids. Feels like the F but heavier and more powerful. It still handles like a dirt bike and doesn't have all the jack plastic crap that you break when you tip it over.

That's my opinion and everyone knows opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and eveyone else's stinks.
I couldn't agree with you more about the DL-650! It's HARD to get a negative word in edgewise about that bike with all the fanatics about. It was nice enough but just was umm..... boring.Kinda like a KLR!

Any way, what year is your Tiger. The newer ones seem to be pretty plasticy too.
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
GetYourOwn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
I've had the BMw 650 nice bike but didn't really impress me on the super slab. Wanted a Vstrom but at the last moment came across a used tiger that was significantly less than the DL650. The Tiger is a super bike. Lots of power and extremly comfortable. It is a little tall and I can't flat foot the bike at stop lights but it is extremely well balanced. If I was going to buy any bike at any price I would buy a Tiger again.

P.S You can usually find great deals on used Tigers if you look around a little
GetYourOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:15 AM   #10
moosey
Superconcentrated Bitch

Oddometer: 117
My new 05 Tiger is a week old and will be in on Mon for the 600 mile service. I previously rode an 02 F650GS and put 32K miles on it in 3 years. I wanted a more long distance type of bike that still had the ability to do gravel roads and fire trails. On my first ride, I dropped it in some deep sand but was still able to pick it up easily. The handling characteristics of the
Tiger on gravel roads is not much different than the BMW, especially if you lower the tire pressure in the stock Anakees.

The Tiger is an awesome bike so far. My first long trip is coming up in July from WI to CO, WY and MT.

Rhonda
moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #11
YardSale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I haven't owned a F650 but I have a DL650 and a KLR650. I had a Tiger and loved it...silky smooth. The only problem (for me) was the weight.

I find the DL650 fits right in between. The Wee is lighter than the Tiger but smoother and more powerful than the KLR. Works for me.

Kevin.
YardSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:59 PM   #12
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 377
I do not own but have ridden a f650 once and I wasn't that impressed, felt like a heavier version of my XR650 with a little more comfort but a larger price tag. I do however own both a Wee and a Tiger but have not had the Wee off road yet. The Tiger feels very stable on the mild fire road but I think the Wee would probably be a little easier off road due to the lighter weight. As for power the Wee is impressive (i also have the smaller 885 Tiger) but does not feel as smooth as the Tiger. As for comfort the Tiger wins hands down, but for fuel mileage Vstrom takes it, but the overall fit and finish with the Tiger is better. All in all I would go with the Tiger.
That didn't help one damm bit did it?
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:29 AM   #13
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Oddometer: 679
Had a 2000 model 650 Dakar for a few days this week while my Caponord was in the shop.

The Dakar seemed alot lighter than the 40kgs compared to my Capo.

I did no offroad but plenty of backstreets and freeway to get a good feel for the bike. Much above 110kmh (4500rpm) and a few intruding vibes, but up to that speed a great bike.

Am sure it would be the pick off road as well- felt nimble and the thumper engine just loved to rev with nice torque spread.

The Tiger is also a heavy bike, and would be much dearer than the other two - so maybe compare this to a Vee. The Wee is the most road orientated, and IMHO a 650 is fine for those who like to change gears, I enjoy the roll on of the throttle and there is just something about a 1000 V-twin
vbstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #14
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywombat
i know they are all good bikes im more interested in the bad points people have noticed when riding these bikes.... thankyou in advance to those who reply
I haven't had the chance to try the Tiger or F650 but here's my opinion on the DL650 bad points.
1 - The stock bars do not work for me. They either hurt my wrist or shoulders after a few hundred miles. Might be that I'm used to MX style bars, but the sweep (to me) doesn't seem suited to people with wide shoulders.

2 - Seat to peg clearance is on the short side and I'm only 6' tall. An easy fix with either the touring seat, or Fastway pegs.

3 - The stock tires leave much to be desired on something that is labeled a Dualsport. They do hook up well on pavement,gravel or DRY dirt(depending on riding style) but anything involving WET dirt is a disaster.

From what I've read any of these bikes are great for what you are looking for but have to be tweeked. Small stuff mostly, but thats half the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
Wrathchild
Ogri Rules!

Oddometer: 161
Thumb Good Topic

Hey all,

good info in the replies. I am in the market for a big trailie myself and it came down to Uly - Dakar - Tiger, as the DL never did anything for me, due to styling i suppose. Uly got shot down due to "if it has to be a Buell, other models tickle me more for less $$." Dakar gave me mixed feeleing about it and the most important thing going for it was the mpg numbers, so that leaves the Tiger as the first pick so far. if anyone has any more info on this subject by all means keep posting, please.