User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2002, 03:13 PM   #1
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Question Two-Up Camping

I do almost all of my riding two up with the Chue-Shue, aka The Flame. All of our long trips are motel intensive, but we'd like to try camping off the RT.

I've camped extensively off my GS, and off my bicycle as well, but never two up. Can you all offer some advice for happier two up motocamping?

It seems to me that this will be a labor of love in some ways, as carrying enough gear for two people looks difficult. I have a tent, compact sleeping bag and thermarest. Also own the Helen2Wheels bags for tent and sleeping bags...

Any and all tips about gear and techniques will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, and hope to see you on the road this summer!

Steve
Old 01-23-2002, 05:30 PM   #2
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,534
Thumb Camping

I stuff the sleeping bags, thermarests etc into two waterproof bags and bungee them to the top of the saddle bags. The tent poles get bungeed crossways to the vertical posts of the luggage rack. The tent, clothes, cookware, food all fit in the saddlebag, topcase or tankbag. The more I camp, the less stuff I bring.

I went to Michigans U.P. last summer and tented next to a family which brought a trailer with a dirtbike and a 4wheeler, a pop-up camper, a 30 ft camping trailer and three trucks to pull it all. Different strokes, I guess.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:22 PM   #3
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have done extensive fully loaded bicycle touring, so the specialized gear is not a problem. I own pretty much everything we need to camp two up except a sleeping bag and thermarest for Chue-Shue.

The other main point is that we do not plan on cooking in camp, which means a big pile of stuff can be left behind. What about camp chairs and other creature comforts. What works best for two up camping?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-24-2002, 03:18 PM   #4
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,421
Thumb

Steve..

Kermit's Touring Chair...Not cheep about $100.00...Best camping chair out there..Sold through Kermit's camping products

6242 hwy 100 W
Pleasantvillle, Tenn. 37147
(931) 729-9836

Sorry, they do not have a web site, but i am sure someone here can come up with a picture of one and post it..

Rick
jocflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:57 PM   #5
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmm...you are right. At $100 they are not cheap. Perhaps i can save by having The Flame just sit on my lap!

Steve
Old 01-24-2002, 05:06 PM   #6
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
Quote:
Originally posted by jocflier
...i am sure someone here can come up with a picture of one and post it...
note: Information lifted from: http://home.sprintmail.com/~damian/acc.htm

Contact Information:

Kermit Easterling
6242 Highway 100 West
Pleasantville, TN 37147
Home: 931.729.9836
E-Mail: mctchair@centerville.net

Whenever you hear folks talking about camping gear you hear them talk about this chair. Handcrafted in the USA, this chair disassembles and packs away neatly in it's own carrying case.

Kermit's Kamping Chair:

Set it up once and you'll see how fast (under a minute, with no tools) and simple it is. Beautiful oak and aluminum structural elements. Forest green Cordura fabric. Wt. 5 lbs. Packs into a 4" x 6" x 23" Cordura bag. No small parts to lose. Attractive enough for your home, much less the trail.

Kermit recommends:

Ray Danley
4683 Birch Ridge Trail
Stone Mountain, GA 30083
Home: 770.593.1852
For repairs of the chair (though rarely needed) and custom embroidery of the cloth back.

And this:
Quote:
"Why isn't eleven pronounced one-ty one?"
As I've told The BOY, it's tenteen, tenty one, twleveteen... and so on.

HTH

Marc screwed with this post 01-24-2002 at 05:21 PM
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 07:44 PM   #7
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
I've got a kermit too...make sure you get the leg extensions.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
nwgs
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
I've got a kermit too...make sure you get the leg extensions.
I've got to try those.

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
PassTheGravy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Here's how I do it on the GS. First, one of these comes in handy:

I've got an extra large Helen Two Wheels bag into which go two thermarests, pillows, sleeping bags, a Jetboil, coffee, cups and various other supplies. A medium H2W bag holds my tent, and a separate bag holds another tent. (My daughter-in-law goes camping with me. There would be something creepy about sharing a tent. Plus, what if I need to rip off a big fart in the middle of the night? ) It all gets strapped on with the Helen Two Wheels straps.

She gets the right side bag. I get the left. The tools, air pump, etc. go in the tank panniers. Tank bag holds misc. stuff. No Kermit chairs, but I could strap one to the top of each side bag if I needed to. We usually have enough room to stop near our destination and pick up a sixpack of adult beverages to stuff in various nooks and crannies.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
hass
Fairings are for sissies!

Oddometer: 155
Wife gets one pannier, I get the other. Topbox is full of cooking gear and biking gear. In the black rubber sausage bag strapped to the topbox is the tent, two sleeping bags plus two sleeping pads.

Must haves: Gas powered soldering iron, tyre repair kit, wire, electrical cable and tape, first aid kit.
Recomended: 12V charger for phone, plastic bags, ziplock bags, plastic tubs for matches/teabags/etc.

Good luck!

You can find some pictures of our first ride around Europe here.
Attached Images

hass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
Joeles Frijoles
Adios Pantalones

Oddometer: 63
My girlfriend and I find ourselves doing quite a bit of two-camping on the Dakar these days. I used to evenly divvy up the smaller group items (e.g. stove, fuel, pans, extra water) and then give her a pannier to fill, but the two sides never came out even. These days I'm finding more and more group gear in my pannier. When running two-up, we usually throw the tent on top of one pannier, the thermarests on top of the other, and the two sleeping bags in the top case.

However you end up sorting it out, two-camping on the bike is one of my favorite weekend pursuits...even if I get nothing but attitude from my girlfriend...

Joeles Frijoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 08:57 PM   #12
Squirrel
Squirrely Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
We did it....Lisa and I on the RT last summer doing the N. Calif. camping thing. She got the right saddlebag, I got the left saddlebag. Tent and thermarests went into the topcase. Sleeping bags strapped to top of saddlebags via "bungee buddies". Two folding campchairs strapped to the Sargent passenger backrest. We didn't pack cooking utensils (I like going out for road food), but we did pack a small stove and coffee cone (I love strong fresh grounded coffee).

Suggestion: NO MATTER how long you plan to be gone, pack for a two day trip.....you'll be fine.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:22 AM   #13
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,678
They call me a trailer dragger...

Sorry boys but this is the easiest way to load camping suppies. P.S. am I the only one who has the right hand exhaust model?
Attached Images

"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 09:13 AM   #14
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: They call me a trailer dragger...

Quote:
Originally posted by XtreemLEE
Sorry boys but this is the easiest way to load camping suppies. P.S. am I the only one who has the right hand exhaust model?
That must be the special british edition, since I see it also has the shifter on the right. Hmmm, but the sidestand on the right too? I'm very confused this morning.:
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:39 PM   #15
Seymour
Cross country runner

Oddometer: 69
Thumb

On last year trip to Oregon and back home ,22 days trip two-up we stay 13 nights in Motels ,7 nights camping,first and last night at home.
We did laundry 3 times,in Paonia,Co. Redmond,Or.and I think West Yelowstone.We only care clean cloth for 5 days.

I have extra-large lids on bike as on Jeff side; http://home.att.net/~jeff.dean/biglid.htm

right saddlebag is my darling wife,so all her staff plus small termarest mattress have to squeeze there,no excuse.

left side is for my staff plus mattress ,plus two bottle of liquor from duty free ,plus air compresor
http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/airman.html

Top case is for tent like Bighorn from Eureka http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/English/Home.htm
than can fit easy in top case.plus slippingbag,just one,because,...

Tankbag I have extra gloves,maps,camera,water,moa anonimous book etc... in left no radio storige I keep rain suits.

I already book my vacation for trip in August to
http://www.bmwra.org/rally_2002.htm
and we going two-up of course

Titan
MOA #56216
See you in Trenton
http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally02/index.htm
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote