User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2003, 06:00 AM   #1
Gary OP
Another Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 304
Question KTM LC4 Fork Oil Change

Can anyone offer a 1-2-3 or outline a quick method of changing the fork oil on KTM USD 43's ('01 LC4E).

I found and downloaded the manual on the forks but by the time they get to pouring the oil out, they have disassembled beyond what I think would be necessary for just an oil change.

Theres a bit on KTMTalk.com for an '03 450 but it sounds like the design might be different than mine.

This is my first set of Upside Down Forks, and I've been used to pulling a plug or two and refilling out of a measuring cup.

I can see that I'll probably have to pull fork tubes and get one of those nifty fill level sucky things.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Gary
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:18 AM   #2
mcomstock
GS==offroad

Oddometer: 239
Gary, this isn't specific to an LC4, but in general for USD forks, you remove the forks from the triple clamps, remove the spring keeper cap in the top of the fork (there is light pressure from the spring on it, so be careful as it pops open.) Remove the springs and any shims that are present. Turn the fork top side down and pour the oil out, then pump the fork until you hear the fork sucking air to make sure you get all the trapped oil out. This can be messy if you don't do it slowly.

Refill with the specificied cc's of your favorite fork oil, if you have the spec and nifty sucky thing then measure the distance from the top of the fork to the oil level to get it exactly setup for your preferences.

That's the the general process. The complete disassembly drill in the manual is really more for inspection of fork internals for wear and/or valving changes.
mcomstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 05:53 PM   #3
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
what mcomstock said but i will add one small hint: break the fork caps loose before loosening the triple clamps. you also don't really need the special float tool although it may be worth having. i've always gotten by with a ruler and small flashlight. just pour in the approximate amount of oil, with the forks fully collapsed without springs and measure oil level from top of tube to top of oil. adjust as necessary. i just use a large syringe with plastic hose to suck out excess if necessary.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Thorny
Bent But Not Broken

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
what mcomstock said but i will add one small hint: break the fork caps loose before loosening the triple clamps. you also don't really need the special float tool although it may be worth having. i've always gotten by with a ruler and small flashlight. just pour in the approximate amount of oil, with the forks fully collapsed without springs and measure oil level from top of tube to top of oil. adjust as necessary. i just use a large syringe with plastic hose to suck out excess if necessary.
Important Point on this:

If you do not loosen the top tripple clamp you may not be able to loosen the fork cap because it actually squeezes the pipe tight enough to hold the fork cap from turning. So loosen the top tripple clamp and keep the lower one tight. that should allow the cap to spin.
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,940
Confused about fork oil level

Questions: I can't really tell in the WP manual where the outer tube is in realtion to the inner tube when measuring oil level, Can someone clarify this for me? Also what level is the piston at?

Thanks!

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro
Questions: I can't really tell in the WP manual where the outer tube is in realtion to the inner tube when measuring oil level, Can someone clarify this for me? Also what level is the piston at?

Thanks!
I guess you are talking about the sliding part of the fork? All the way down.

I might add that there are a lot of flakes from the springs that start to float around in the forks, they get into the valving and will affect how the forks work. The only way to get them in tip top shape is to take them apart and clean all the parts.

I weigh in at over 200 lbs., on the last cleaning I raised the oil level to 100 mm and that has solved the bottoming out problem for me. With the higher oil level the bike handles better now. New springs would be a better fix, so many things to do.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,940
Sorry I was not very clear. Yes, I was asking if the lower fork is compressed all the way into the upper when you measure the oil level.

I am going to try 120 mm of air space even though I am a bit lighter at 170 I like to jump and I am hoping that I get a bit less dive on the street as well so that I can practice stoppies if I ever get the guts.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:26 AM   #8
Gary OP
Another Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 304
LC4 Fork Oil Change

Thanks MC and Randy for the tips. This is making sense to me now.

Where you you find the fork oil setting/measurement. The WP manual refers to an initial filling to 25mm below the 4 holes in the inner tube with the outer tube extended, but to "adjust" the oil level after pumping to fill the cartridge.

And do you use 5w oil as I noted in the manual?

Gary
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
The Duke

Oddometer: n/a
Thumb Gary's report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
Thanks MC and Randy for the tips. This is making sense to me now.
Gary
Gary,
Just waht I was looking for!. I must have spent a day looking for this information on the forum - (the manual is seriously scary) so I look forward to hearing of your experience. Please document the procedure in detail I'm sure others will apprecoiate it. (I'm on a 99 Duke!!)
Old 03-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Gonna do this next weekend... thanks guys!

Everyone else should probably do it too... I'll take some photos of the innards.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdemien
Gonna do this next weekend... thanks guys!

Everyone else should probably do it too... I'll take some photos of the innards.
Here are some more links for you:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339544

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286065

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
in the process of replacing the seals in mine. 10 k on them. i finally settled on 5.2 springs, stock valving and 145 mm oil level with 7.5 weight oil. The are the closest to factory works forks feel I have ridden. I rode one of the factory Dakar bikes a few years back and they were a good benchmark. I weigh in at 220 lbs. and I can not bottom them any more and they have a very compliant and progressive feel.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:55 PM   #13
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
well, i don't have experience with your forks specifically so i can't say. but unless someone else has a better method to offer or you can't find out in the literature then i would suggest you loosen the fork caps, remove the forks, remove the caps, carefully remove the springs (keep them clean), collapse the fork and measure the oil level from the top of the fork tube. without better info, this should get you in the ball park. you may also want to drain the oil into a container then meaure the original amount so you have an idea of the quantity required. again this in case you can't find the fill volume listed somewhere. good luck.
i would stay with the oil weight listed for the forks in the manual unless your planning to revalve to some spec that requires different viscosity.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:34 PM   #14
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Eh? Well...

Hi Gary,

I just did this over the winter, and it seems to have worked out.

1 - Loosed fork caps (while on bike)
2 - remove forks
3 - Remove caps, pull out spring assmbly a few inches (It did not come out completely)
4 - empty oil out of each leg and compress/extend forks until comletely empty and sucking air (as indicated in prev. post)
5 - take recommend amount of oil (was it 450cc for each leg? can't remember) into a measuring cup, and pour into fork leg. Extend/compress a few times each while filling.
6 - Put caps back on
7 - put back on bike
8 - bleed air our with screw in top of cap.
9 - go for a ride.

I used the 5W recommended, and it all worked out great. Fork is as good as it was before.

I too was confounded by the process, but the somply way I did it seemed to work ok. If there is something wrong with how I did it..i sure would like to know...but it seems fine.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #15
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
- take recommend amount of oil (was it 450cc for each leg? can't remember) into a measuring cup, and pour into fork leg.

If there is something wrong with how I did it..i sure would like to know...but it seems fine.
Flanny,

Your method will work but - it is better to measure the oil height in the tube rather than the milliliters (CCs) of oil you are putting in. Slight air volume variations have a very noticeable effect of fork function. Measuring the oil height/air volume is a more precise method to achieve desired results.

Steve
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote