User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Zerodog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Eek My 640 is making oil>>>>>>

Over the last 2 months I have been working through issues with my new to me 03 640. This is a new one. Yesterday my bike was getting pretty hot just riding around town. Hotter than ever before and it wasn't hot outside. So when I got home I started hunting.

First off it was low on coolant. I don't know where it went. It was about 2 cups of coolant to top it off.

Second thing is the oil in my site glass was too high. Actually past where I could even see the oil line. It has been about 1000 miles since my last oil change. I have watched the oil level rise slightly over the last week or 2 in the window. It happened so slow I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not. But sure as hell I sucked 175ccs of oil out of the engine to get it back down to the high mark. The oil was opaque but not black or milky looking and it didn't smell gassy. But I guess it could still be gas. If it was water there would be mayo looking funk on my oil filler cap and the oil would look milky right? Or does full sythetic oil emulsify water really well and suspend it in the oil? It did take more coolant to fill the radiator than what I sucked out of the engine to get it back to the correct level.

Is it possible that I filled the oil wrong in the first place? Should the bike be hot or cold when filling to the high mark on the glass? I did it when cold after I bled the tube.

So the question is where did this oil come from/ or what got in the oil to increase it's level?

I am going to install a coolant catch bottle to see if that fixes my disappearing coolant problem.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
MartinDKtm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Maybe a water pump rebuilt job will be needed....It sound like it.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog
Over the last 2 months I have been working through issues with my new to me 03 640. This is a new one. Yesterday my bike was getting pretty hot just riding around town. Hotter than ever before and it wasn't hot outside. So when I got home I started hunting.

First off it was low on coolant. I don't know where it went. It was about 2 cups of coolant to top it off.

Second thing is the oil in my site glass was too high. Actually past where I could even see the oil line. It has been about 1000 miles since my last oil change. I have watched the oil level rise slightly over the last week or 2 in the window. It happened so slow I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not. But sure as hell I sucked 175ccs of oil out of the engine to get it back down to the high mark. The oil was opaque but not black or milky looking and it didn't smell gassy. But I guess it could still be gas. If it was water there would be mayo looking funk on my oil filler cap and the oil would look milky right? Or does full sythetic oil emulsify water really well and suspend it in the oil? It did take more coolant to fill the radiator than what I sucked out of the engine to get it back to the correct level.

Is it possible that I filled the oil wrong in the first place? Should the bike be hot or cold when filling to the high mark on the glass? I did it when cold after I bled the tube.

So the question is where did this oil come from/ or what got in the oil to increase it's level?

I am going to install a coolant catch bottle to see if that fixes my disappearing coolant problem.
Don't know what kind of miles are on your bike Rob, but it seems that water pump seals like to get "loose" at some point. Some have gone 20-30K before this happens, others can't make it to 15K. Not enough anecdotal info to determine the cause or causes.
I may arbitrarily replace mine this winter... just so I don't get any surprises next summer in the middle of a ride.

LC4 Pilot wrote an excellent guide on replacing the seals here.

Best 'O luck with the repair,
C
Old 08-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
Yup, as they say, it must be blown H2O pump seals. Mine was also make'n oil. It was about $75 bucks for new seals or $150 for a new pump, I bought a new pump and it fixed her right up.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
Zerodog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Damn.........I should have bought a new bike....... I have had to do quite a few things to my 9 out of 10 bike, so far this one tops it as far a pain in the ass. As I recall my oil was about the same color the first time I changed it. And my coolant was a little low after my 1000 mile trip back. So I probably bought it with this issue.....along with a few others that have sucked as well.

Does the new pump come with everything so you can just slap that puppy in? I didn't want to have to get into the cover but oh well. That is the way it goes.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog
Damn.........I should have bought a new bike....... I have had to do quite a few things to my 9 out of 10 bike, so far this one tops it as far a pain in the ass. As I recall my oil was about the same color the first time I changed it. And my coolant was a little low after my 1000 mile trip back. So I probably bought it with this issue.....along with a few others that have sucked as well.

Does the new pump come with everything so you can just slap that puppy in? I didn't want to have to get into the cover but oh well. That is the way it goes.
It's a complete assembly... everything in #1.

Pretty much use LC4 Pilot's guide and my cover re-seal guide as reference material... especially if you don't have a motor manual, and you should be good to go.

C
Old 08-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Zerodog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have read both. Thanks for the help and the great guides for this stuff guys.

I guess it is time to buy some parts and some good beer.