User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,130
Why Clean Your Bike

Now I would not say that I am Mr. Clean. (leave him alone YFF!) I understand how easy it is to let cleaning slide; you could be riding right? Or how about a siesta in the hammock... it doesn't seem as important as chain tensioning or other periodic maintenance, but that is a mistake.

Why? Because cleaning your bike, and I mean thoroughly - get down on your hands and knees and try to get into all those places your fingers can't quite push the rag, or start disassembling until you can - like I was typing, a good cleaning will force you to thoroughly inspect your bike and you will see things that you would not ordinarily notice. Not only that, but a clean bike is much easier to check than a dirty one. Your detection rate will improve, once all that dirt is out of the way.

Here is my example, and start of a search for information on a potential issue. I was down on my knees, when I noticed what looked like oil spray directly behind my kick starter shaft. I got curious and layed down on my back and found this:

See it? No? OK, how about a crop:

Yes, a drop of oil hanging from the bottom of my kick starter.

So now, that I know there is a potential issue - leaking kick starter seal? - I can do something about it. If I had not been down there cleaning my bike I might have ended up with a bigger problem, which usually happens in BFE.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't notice, I am soliciting information on potential sources of that leak. I would think that the kick starter shaft is a likely culprit, so I cleaned it up thoroughly in order to monitor it.

Here is the assembly:

Two seals are listed:

Item #: 0760223270
SHAFT SEAL RING 22X32X7 BSL
Quanity On Diagram: 1
Cost Each: $7.25

Item #: 58038022000
CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-12X18X1,5
Cost Each: $1.50

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
It's a good thing your bike was dirty or that oil wouldn't have soaked into all that dirt making the problem easy to spot. Keeping your bike clean is just wreckless and irresponsible!

CaptTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I am soliciting information on potential sources of that leak. I would think that the kick starter shaft is a likely culprit, so I cleaned it up thoroughly in order to monitor it.
Me - m - ories... like the cor - ners of my mind, misty water color me - m - ories... of the way we were.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
motostyle
\/ The MAN - R.I.P. \/

Oddometer: 186
"Why? Because cleaning your bike, and I mean thoroughly - get down on your hands and knees and try to get into all those places your fingers can't quite push the rag, or start disassembling until you can - like I was typing, a good cleaning will force you to thoroughly inspect your bike and you will see things that you would not ordinarily notice. Not only that, but a clean bike is much easier to check than a dirty one. Your detection rate will improve, once all that dirt is out of the way."

I broke into a cold sweat when I read this. For a second, just a second in time, I was 17 again and my dad was yelling at me to clean my VW so i could see if any oil was leaking from somewhere new.
motostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by motostyle
I broke into a cold sweat when I read this. For a second, just a second in time, I was 17 again and my dad was yelling at me to clean my VW so i could see if any oil was leaking from somewhere new.
Since this thread got unearthed, I am quoting my favorite reply.

And while my fingers are rattlin' away, I might as well say one (other) thing that might contribute to lack of cleaning, and maybe maintenance too: The Disposable Culture.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
bongodave
Legalize it, already

Oddometer: 38,691
Quote:
Since this thread got unearthed, I am quoting my favorite reply.

And while my fingers are rattlin' away, I might as well say one (other) thing that might contribute to lack of cleaning, and maybe maintenance too: The Disposable Culture.
Great article, and well said. I've fixed so many things just by fiddling with them!

How many people do you know who will ditch a car when it starts to give them problems? It's like replacing it is a smarter move than fixing it. That's not always true. You can make a decent living buying appliances with just one little problem and reselling them.

Cubans are still driving cars from the 50s. A little care and some elbow grease go a long way.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Mine has that same drip. I need to do the deal myself. I believe mine is leaking from the little one inside the shaft.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Me - m - ories... like the cor - ners of my mind, misty water color me - m - ories... of the way we were.
poopy schmoopy icky yick

- Mrs. Popsicle

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,496
this thread eluded me until now. It makes a lot of sense. I love it.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Now I would not say that I am Mr. Clean. (leave him alone YFF!) I understand how easy it is to let cleaning slide; you could be riding right? Or how about a siesta in the hammock... it doesn't seem as important as chain tensioning or other periodic maintenance, but that is a mistake.

Why? Because cleaning your bike, and I mean thoroughly - get down on your hands and knees and try to get into all those places your fingers can't quite push the rag, or start disassembling until you can - like I was typing, a good cleaning will force you to thoroughly inspect your bike and you will see things that you would not ordinarily notice. Not only that, but a clean bike is much easier to check than a dirty one. Your detection rate will improve, once all that dirt is out of the way.

Here is my example, and start of a search for information on a potential issue. I was down on my knees, when I noticed what looked like oil spray directly behind my kick starter shaft. I got curious and layed down on my back and found this:

So now, that I know there is a potential issue - leaking kick starter seal? - I can do something about it. If I had not been down there cleaning my bike I might have ended up with a bigger problem, which usually happens in BFE.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't notice, I am soliciting information on potential sources of that leak. I would think that the kick starter shaft is a likely culprit, so I cleaned it up thoroughly in order to monitor it.

Here is the assembly:

Two seals are listed:

Item #: 0760223270
SHAFT SEAL RING 22X32X7 BSL
Cost Each: $7.25

Item #: 58038022000
CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-12X18X1,5
Cost Each: $1.50
Welcome to the club...mine looks exactly like that but, you know why I ain't gonna fix it? Because if its leakin now when I barely ever used my kicker-- then it will just do it again after i fix it. Timing site glass weeps too.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:26 AM   #11
banshee8989
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 803
Quote:

Looks to me if you ride a KTM cleaning is essential. . After 15 years of abuse on a Honda the thing has never sprung a leak.

But seriously cleaning and inspecting is important and not just on dirt bikes. I wish we could get cage drivers to do the same thing.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #12
Grootseun
Thumpin around

Oddometer: 87
I had some intermittent Idling probs on my 06 Dakar. I decided to have a look see, couldn't see anything under the dirt

Cleaned the rocker cable thingy assembly (technical term) and voila problem solved.

Now the bike has to wait till sumthin else packs up before i clean it again...
Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Thank God for all these honest responses. I thought when I read the title that I would be out cleaning my DR with no real purpose in mind!
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod
Thank God for all these honest responses. I thought when I read the title that I would be out cleaning my DR with no real purpose in mind!
Not a terrible passtime IMhO.

BTW, this is a much livelier crowd than last time
Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
Svart
...is swedish for black

Oddometer: 302
How come your bike is not clean?
-"it hasn´t rained lately"
-"it´s not a harley"
-"if it was, you´d see the (orange) paint"

Now for real... -"I´m out riding. If I wanted it clean, I´d be home polishing"