Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
christian OP
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,623
KTM 625 SXC -- Anyone installed an extra oil cooler or reservoir ?

I read the LC4 index and saw 1 thread regarding this but nobody that actually did it.

Anyone mounted an Oil Cooler or extra oil reservoir on a 625SXC ?

I am debating between 640 Enduro, ADV or SXC... this is one big point for me.
Thanks
christian
Old 09-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Christian,

IIRC the 2004 and beyond SXCs have the same oil capacity (1.9L) as the LC4E and adventure. 2004's also have the fcr carb as well. Guess they could all use some extra oil capacity.

Dean
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
christian OP
Exchange your GPS Track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan
Christian,

IIRC the 2004 and beyond SXCs have the same oil capacity (1.9L) as the LC4E and adventure. 2004's also have the fcr carb as well. Guess they could all use some extra oil capacity.

Dean
seems like the US specs SXC in 04 don't have the extra oil. They came here only in 2003 and 2004 that's all. I know about the FCR, but my concern is oil.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
seems like the US specs SXC in 04 don't have the extra oil. They came here only in 2003 and 2004 that's all. I know about the FCR, but my concern is oil.

That extra oil capacity is one of the main reasons I went with the LC4E and ADV bikes instead of the SXC (that and cost of cush hub and extra fuel capacity). The expense of adding a cush hub seems to make it easier to get the LC4 and change the carb instead of trying to add oil capacity and cush hub to the SXC (and tank and matching seat if you want more range).
Keep in mind that the Adventure tank gets close to what a typical car gets per tank 200-300 Miles depending on carb set up and rider (mine is around 200 with FCR). I think I got circa 150 miles on my 18 liter (stock BST carb). The smaller tanks tend to turn into a pain in the ass if you plan on lots of road miles but, of course they are better for serious off roading. I used to ride a LC4E with the 12 liter and I traded to the 28 liter tank because the gas station interval was to tight. Then I had another LC4E with the 18 liter and now I have the Adventure with the 28 Liter. I'd say anything less than the 18 Liter is no good unless you are riding mostly off road near home (or trailering). Big road miles requires the 28 liter tank (sometimes called 25 liter) especially with the thirstier FCR carb I have now that relegates that big tank to circa 200 mile range.
It all comes down to how you intend to use the bike. If you are gonna be commuting to work and such, I would get the Adventure or LC4E 18 liter with longer service intervals (and switch the carb when you can afford to) but, if you only intend to use the tarmac to connect trails and don't mind a little tighter oil change interval then get the smaller capacity SXC (LC4E with 18 liter makes a nice middle compromise).
I don't really have a garage or work space and I ride 1,100+ miles to work every month so the Adventure is the way to go for me to keep the service intervals at a tollerable level however, your situation may vary. I will say the Adventure is a bit more versitile with its power receptical and range.
The digital speedo/odometer comes in very handy for letting you know your fuel situation and speed easier than the analog set ups on the smaller bikes do (has reserve warning light too) The only thing I don't like better about the Adventure is its a bit more involved (4 screws more) to get the tank off and it doen't come stock with the FCR. You just gotta ride with a half empty tank off road so its handles like the smaller bikes.
So in summation I'd say anything less than the 18 liter turns into a trailer bike unless you live near the trails and any thoughts of big road miles or touring will have to be at least 18 liters but, preferably the Big adventure.
The consensus is that its easier and cheaper to turn an adventure into an
LC4E than the other way around if you are thinking of that option. This gives you the versatility of all three bikes. I had thought of this option but, in time, I just adjusted to the slightly piggier bike and didn't worry about it
because its not worth all the extra gas stops in my current riding scenario.
For myself, the smaller oil capacity and lack of cush hub are deal breakers on the SXC (and you gotta do the dual sport lights your self).

BlitzBike screwed with this post 09-28-2006 at 07:40 PM
BlitzBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
christian OP
Exchange your GPS Track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBike
That extra oil capacity is one of the main reasons I went with the LC4E and ADV bikes instead of the SXC (that and cost of cush hub and extra fuel capacity). The hassle with that and especially the expense of adding a cush hub seems to make it easier to get the LC4 and change the carb instead of trying to add oil capacity and cush hub to the SXC (and tank and seat if you want more range).
Thanks, I already have the cush hub wheel from my 520EXC, the SXC also has the high flow. it seems that for me, it's easier to do SXC to dualsport than Enduro to more power.

But as I said, I am looking at options at this time.

The dream ... 03 640ADV and I would buy a smaller tank. But there are hard to get around... somebody wanna trade a 520EXC ?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
The dream ... 03 640ADV and I would buy a smaller tank.
wanna talk about difficult......that is going to be tougher than anything else you have proposed so far. they dont make a smaller tank that will work with the front fairing of the adventure, you can put one of the smaller tanks on it but then your going to have to change everything else up front to use it.

i dont know if it will work but this is what they use on the 660 rally for an oil cooler. it may work on a 625 but dont quote me on that.....

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan
Christian,

Dean
i could be wrong but ive never heard this before? one way to find out really quick though is to look at the front of the bike and see if it has a spin on oil filter coming out of the main downtube. if it does then it means that it has the extra oil in the tube like the LC4-E and Adventure models.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
christian OP
Exchange your GPS Track!

Thanks, I've seen the filter on the new SMC but not on the older SXC

I am trying to find if anyone makes an aftermarket to retrofit a bike that doesn't have it.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
I read the LC4 index and saw 1 thread regarding this but nobody that actually did it.

Anyone mounted an Oil Cooler or extra oil reservoir on a 625SXC ?

I am debating between 640 Enduro, ADV or SXC... this is one big point for me.
Thanks
christian
I highly dobut it; unless it's some kind of home made affair; this is one reason why I sold my 625 and replaced it with the 640 Adventure
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 AM   #10
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg
I highly dobut it; unless it's some kind of home made affair; this is one reason why I sold my 625 and replaced it with the 640 Adventure
Here is a link (on this site) to someone who did it.

I asked for info but I misplaced the reply. Just a matter of fabing some longer hoses IIRC.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
Rubber_Down
SF Rat...

Oddometer: 83
Question Oil Cooler Upgrade Anyone?

I'm going to atempt to revive this thread in case anyone has made progress. I just sold my 950 Adventure to pay some bills, and bought a well farlked 625 SXC (bored to 672). I like the idea of keeping my oil cool, and plenty of it.

Has anyone added a oil reservoir or cooler to their SXC?

My first thumper, can't wait to have some fun

2009 BMW GS F800
2003 KTM 672 SXC, Adventure Style (sold)
2006 Ducati 620 MTS Dark (sold)
2005 KTM 950 Adventure (sold)
Rubber_Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #12
techieguy
Lost in the woods

Oddometer: 354
not an SXC

I don't think the bike in the pic is an SXC unless it is a highly modified one to emulate a 640 Adventure. Good news for you the Adventure already has a larger oil capacity and probably won't need the oil cooler unless you are planning some serious off road.

Good luck with the new bike!

Techieguy
Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #13
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by techieguy
I don't think the bike in the pic is an SXC unless it is a highly modified one to emulate a 640 Adventure.
+1... (looks like a 2003) and ya gotta love the "guillotine" license plate mounting
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
Rubber_Down
SF Rat...

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by techieguy
I don't think the bike in the pic is an SXC unless it is a highly modified one to emulate a 640 Adventure. Good news for you the Adventure already has a larger oil capacity and probably won't need the oil cooler unless you are planning some serious off road.

Good luck with the new bike!

Techieguy
It's a 625 SXC, bored to 672, with Adv 7 gallon tanks and body work.
It's basicaly a Adventure, but one area it falls short is Oil cooling/capacity. It's not a HUGE deal, but would be nice, oil is my friend .

I can't wait, she is going to be delivered Nov. 4th

2009 BMW GS F800
2003 KTM 672 SXC, Adventure Style (sold)
2006 Ducati 620 MTS Dark (sold)
2005 KTM 950 Adventure (sold)
Rubber_Down is offline   Reply With Quote