Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Cool2 Cost of Baja 500

Hi,

I've considering an attempt at the Baja 500 in a few years time, my enthusiasm partly fuelled by reading of competitor's exploits in the event on this site (I recall neduro's report).

Can anyone who's done the event on a motorcycle give me an idea of the costs involved? An itemised list would be even better.

Thanks,

Ian.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
hamfisted
2wheelsGood

Oddometer: 7
I wanna know too!!
Planning to do the Baja 1000 in 2010.
Baja 500 sooner.
Jim
05 Beta RR450
hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
flyingbeard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Thumb Me too

+1
flyingbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbeard
Me Too
Mark - you're seriously thinking about it? We should talk next time out. Been talking to Elmer for months now about doing the 500 and 1000 in '08 or '09.

Peter
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 AM   #5
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
i used to pit crew for a jeep team many years ago and still go for rides in baja.biggest problem if you have the bucks is to find time to prerun.the prerun will help you know when to take it easy and when to run some speed.next is finding enough buddies with trucks to pit for you.if you dont have alot of friends to pit just rent a bike with support.the pit crew thing burned me out-getting sent out in the middle of the night to tow in a busted race car sucks.now i just prerun the course and watch the race on my xr.
oldxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
flyingbeard
Beastly Adventurer

Here is info on Bike Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian640
Hi,

I've considering an attempt at the Baja 500 in a few years time, my enthusiasm partly fuelled by reading of competitor's exploits in the event on this site (I recall neduro's report).

Can anyone who's done the event on a motorcycle give me an idea of the costs involved? An itemised list would be even better.

Thanks,

Ian.
Hi Ian,
Here is some info on the cost of leasing a bike to race (Husky). I just got this today from BajaHusky. I will send you a PM will all the details FYI

Lease for Score Baja racing:
  1. 2007 TC 250, 450 or 510 for race lease for 7 days.................$7, 500.00 + a $6,000.00 Security deposit
  2. Security Deposit is fully refundable 30 days after the bike returns and is deemed in the same shape as it left. Otherwise, the deposit pays for all repairs needing done or if the bike doesn't come back during the contract period (usually 7 calender days)
  3. Any repairs to the bike or total replacement comes from the refundable security deposit funds.
  4. 2nd race of the calender year on the same size bike would be $5,000.00 + $6,000.00 Security Deposit
  5. 3rd race of the calender year on the same size bike would be $3500.00 + $6,000.00 Security Deposit.
Buy the Race Prepped Bike for $9, 900.00 and then have it shipped home.
(Lots of stuff, on the Race Bike)

Old 01-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
WONB2K
The Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 292
For your first Baja race I'd strongly suggest contacting Tim Morton through his website: http://www.bajaboundmoto.com/ He can help with all aspects, from pre-running to supplying a bike and race support. He has the resume and his experience would be invaluable to a Baja novice.

Jim
WONB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
flyingbeard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WONB2K
For your first Baja race I'd strongly suggest contacting Tim Morton through his website: http://www.bajaboundmoto.com/ He can help with all aspects, from pre-running to supplying a bike and race support. He has the resume and his experience would be invaluable to a Baja novice.

Jim
Thanks Jim
Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by WONB2K

Jim
I was going to post this, but since Jim beat me to it, I'll 2nd it.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,013
A Hundred Grand

4 solid years of campaigning various motorcycles in their native competition at the rate of about $20k/yr if you're on the budget plan. Then another $20k to set-up and execute one Baja race if you have lots of friends.

It's about the same budget as country club golf...
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
HUSKYraceteam
smedley

Oddometer: 31
Baja 500 basic. Not Honda pits nor factory ride.

Score Membership: $ 50.00 per person, all racers have to be members
Sportsman Entry: $ 500.00 est.
Pro Entry: $ 950.00 est.
Bike: You buy $6,000.00+ est. Either a 450 or 510/525/650. Expect to rebuild your top end or something close after race ends. Square rims, bent radiators, almost anything can and will happen.
Race Bike Parts: min.$1-$2K; Tires, tubes,chain, Stab,tank, stator rewind with light if night race,suspension rebuild front/rear
Bike: You lease $3500 to $7500 complete to race and return
Bike: Security deposit refundable $ cost of bike probably
Bike Spares: ? $1K to 3K depending on what you buy, wheels, sub frames, nothing.
Pre Running: $1-$2K (Trucks, people, food, motel, fuel, etc.)
Pits: $125.00 Baja Pits up to $600 for Honda pits. Checkers you have to be a checker. Mag 7, FAIR or your buddies are your other choices.
Race Fuel: $ Included with pit fee up to 3 gallons of 100unleaded race fuel per pit at Baja Pits locations. Honda pit prices include 3 gallons of 91 octane fuel and spare parts exchange.
Race Day: Chasing $ 700-$1500 depending on how many vehicles you have
Commute: $ Where are you driving/flying from round trip, renting vehciles or driving own, flat tires, vehicle breakdowns, etc? $unknnown?

That's it in a nutshell.

A friend raced the 06 Baja 1000 Ironman on an 06 Open bike and finished 4 hours after the finish line closed down. He spent $7K for the race + the bike ($5K). Two spare wheels attached to parts bike in chase truck, no spare lights (just the race set he already owned, otherwise $1K), one chase truck with 2 guys, 1 week pre running before the race, motels, fuel, insurance, food for 10 days (pre running and race weekend). Had flat tire that stopped him for 4 hours and missed his connection for night lights by over three hours after dark. No sat phones or FM radios used to save money. If he had those, chase crew could have driven to him and he would be have been racing most of night. Spent night in baja desert camping out without lights, first night. Cold brrrrrrrr.

Race can be done, but bare minimum here. Start saving now, find 5-8 buddies that want to race or find some cash sponsors now (like the rest of us are looking for). Good luck/ See you down there.

HUSKYraceteam screwed with this post 01-23-2007 at 08:29 PM
HUSKYraceteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #12
BajaKiwi
Hilt

Oddometer: 39
Cost Of 500

Priceless.

Very vaguely..

Pits by Honda $750.... to possibly half that with others (Mag 7, Baja Pits)
Score entry aprox $800 plus a annual $50 for score card.

Depending on how you exist for accomadation, gas, food $100/day to $250/day. Theres the whole range in Ensenada. If you're using a campground/ locals paddock/ or hotel in outlying towns it tends to be cheaper/ simpler in all respects (food/accom).

Bike. You can ride it stock as long as you have got 50/60 mile tank capability for race. Prerunning you might want a larger tank ( $200). If you're going for the basics invest in suspension ($850- best money can buy), damper (a lot but worth it), footpegs ($125), shark fin, Handle bars......and all the rest.

For 500 hopefully you won't need lights. You may want a plan B which might involve a helmet light ($250- $400, if you've already upgraded your stock bulb) just to get you last miles. Otherwise you're looking at a stator rewind and a single/ double 8" or Diablo from Baja Designs. ($125 + $200- $1200)

Vehicle insurance. For car/truck/van- $10/day.

Cost would depend a lot on amount of prerunning ie tires, odd tube, few levers, filters and oil. A rear for every 500 miles prerun, a front. A chain, set of steel sprockets.

For race you'll need fresh tires all around, oil,filters, chain, sprocket etc

If you're doing a LOT of prerunning I wouldn't suggest riding same bike for the race. It'll be pretty beat.

The 500 is a good race and logistically reasonably easy. It can be done for relatively cheaply. Not everyone is driving a Trophy Truck nor is every bike prepped to Honda race team standards.

On the day - enjoy. There won't be any amount of money that can pay for that experience!!! A.
BajaKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #13
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
It's about the same budget as country club golf...
And people STILL choose to play country club golf?????
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote