User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
DVDaze 1200GSA 2UP

We only had one day to get to Death Valley so we trailered the bike 620 straight and boring miles from Boise through the middle of Nevada. From Beatty, NV we came down the pass into Death Valley just as the sun was setting. I knew it was going to be a great weekend.

We arrived at Furnace Creek Ranch and waited in line to check in. There were many bikes already here and still more arriving as we headed to our room. At least I didn't feel like I was the only one not camping. The Ranch was nice, clean rooms, good food, friendly people. There were a variety of bikes in the parking lot.

Excited to get on the road, we skipped breakfast, bought some snacks for later, gassed up and headed off towards the Racetrack. Here are a few pics along the way.

We stopped at Ubehebe Crater and chatted with a few other bikers.

There was another group ahead of us at the start of the gravel/rock road. They were lowering tire pressures to prepare for the journey to the Racetrack.

It was about 27 miles in so we stopped a couple of times.

We caught up with the group ahead of us at Teakettle Junction, then on ahead a few miles to the Racetrack.

Although the sun was harsh around 2:00pm the colors were still vivid under a balmy 70 degrees.

The rock outcropping in the middle of the dried lakebed is called the "Grandstand."

The parking area with a variety of bikes.

My wife chatting it up with the guys. Not many women out here, although we did meet a nice couple from Brazil now living in CA. We later had dinner with them back at the Ranch. It's really nice to meet other riders on these kind of trips and to make new friends. We hope to see them again this summer.

She's hot out here!

The road wasn't too bad, but there were washboards and lots of loose rock. We were able to get up to 50mph on some of the straight sections.

After we hit pavement we decided to head up to Scotty's Castle. It was getting a little late so we didn't take the tour. Some nice detail in the architecture.

We made it back just in time to get in the group photo. That's us on the far lower left. I'm sure there were many more still out in the hills.

Got our buttons. What a nice guy!

On Sunday we headed down to Badwater at the lowest point...282ft below sea level. We walked out on the salt flats...don't really know why...I guess cause everyone else was.

Then we headed back up towards Artist's pallet. Stopped to take a shot of the Badwater and the saltflats below.

Artist's drive was scenic and fun.

We headed further to Zabrinski's Point.

We couldn't go home without saying we had been through Titus Canyon, so here we go. The dirt road was more technical than the road to the Racetrack, but we did well. One important thing about riding 2 up is that when you slip or slide, your passenger needs to remain still and calm. Just like my wife...she's a great partner. There were a lot of tight inclining and declining switchbacks, minor sand, gravel and rocky areas. I really had to pay attention so I didn't stop too much to photograph. The views were magnificant throughout the journey.

We stopped, as most do, at the top of the pass on the red earth.

Titus Canyon. Sorry about all the bike pics included in the scenery.

We came out of the canyon, aired up and headed back to the Ranch. Only 30 miles of dirt but the terrain was enough to wear me out. Had a great dinner and headed home Monday morning through that wonderful boring 620 mile drive. The trip was so much fun, I can't stop thinking about the next one........Baja!
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
Huber Tuber
Beer is good

Oddometer: 166
Great pictures! I plan on a trip to DV very soon. Shooting a short film and have to do some location scouting. Grandstand looks very cool. Did you see any sand dunes?

748s
749s
R1200GS
R1150GS
Aprilia Tuono
KTM 950 Adventure
MV 750 Brutale

Huber Tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,853
nice report!!

looks like they cleaned up the road to the racetrack really well.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
What a fantastic pictorial!! Thanks for the numerous and awesome pics!! Looks like a great annual event!!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:45 AM   #5
btretired
anal retentive

Oddometer: 1,029
Thumb Love the Pic's

We lived in the High Desert area out there for 4 years during my last tour in the AF.. Rode through DV twice on the bike-- but missed alot of what I see here and I'm jonesing to go back and do it right..

How comfortable does your wife find the back of the GS? Most of the folks I see ride 1 up. Mine enjoys our riding but has only been on Harley's..But she has over 50K in the saddle.. tried her own, didn't work out. I've got the bug for a GS after taking one for a Demo but she's worried about the comfort..
btretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
Metal Doc
Duc addicted

Oddometer: 1,446
Great pics and report.

I'm jealous
Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
Oly
Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer: 8,099
Great shots, thanks for posting.

We saw you two at the exit of Titus on Saturday afternoon I believe.
Oly is offline   Reply With Quote