Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Hollywood OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Pissed Help me remove a stuck outer wheel bearing race.

The bike: 2001 DRZ400e

The bearing: Front wheel, non-speedo drive side (left if you're sitting on the bike)

The what: Trying to push out the shot wheel bearing and the inner race popped free, and out along with the bearings and leaving behind the outer race stuck to the inner-circumference of the hub.

Tips for removal w/out paying somebody at the stealership, or a machine shop to remove it? I've tried tapping with a flat blade driver and using a race removal tool, but no luckie.

thanks,
Mike
Old 02-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Oddometer: 917
Use a long tapered punch from the opposite side. And use a heavy hammer, at least a pound. Hit it like it owes you money. One pop will loosen it enough to move the bearing spacer out of the way so you alternate hits, 180 degress apart. It will work it's way out. Use man tools, not a screwdriver and a lil' ball peen.

If that doesn't work, borrow your Mom's Dremel, buy some cutoff wheels for it and cut a groove, almost to the hub. Whack it hard with a chisel and that will relieve the stress and it will fall out. If you go a bit far and slice into the hub, sand the high points down before installing the new bearing.

You know how to install a bearing properly, right?

If they can't hear you, they won't know you're there.
Scottysix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
+1 on the dremel tool act, we used a die grinder to cut a groove to relieve preassure and they just about fall out

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,147
If you can you get at it from the opposite side, I find the best tool is an old 3/8" extension, hit the drive end with the hammer and use the female end to hook the exposed rim of the outer race and drive it out like that.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
Hollywood OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Thanks for the replies. Yep, I know how to set a bearing and I have Man tools, one especially useful one , I've just never dealt with a bearing coming apart the way this one has and I do have new bearings and a new oil seal to go in.

I had the idea of using a cutoff wheel to notch it and then bust it free with a chisel or a heavy drift but I was concerned about the inner hub surface. Like you said the if there are any high points I can smooth them with a rounded file prior to pressing in the bearing.

thanks for the replies.

Mike
Old 02-25-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,271
I have a bunch of small conveyor rolls that when the bearing fails you end up with the outer race still in there.
What I do, and use this method at your own risk, is run a bead of weld on the inside of it, it will work with mig but works best stick welding.
As the weld cools it shrinks the race along with it and they normally just fall out with a tap on the side of the workbench.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
The bike: 2001 DRZ400e

The bearing: Front wheel, non-speedo drive side (left if you're sitting on the bike)

The what: Trying to push out the shot wheel bearing and the inner race popped free, and out along with the bearings and leaving behind the outer race stuck to the inner-circumference of the hub.

Tips for removal w/out paying somebody at the stealership, or a machine shop to remove it? I've tried tapping with a flat blade driver and using a race removal tool, but no luckie.

thanks,
Mike
Before doing any damage I'd try warming up the entire assembly pretty hot. Something like a propane torch would do. Then when it's all good and warm rub the offending race with ice. It might just fall out.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze
Before doing any damage I'd try warming up the entire assembly pretty hot. Something like a propane torch would do. Then when it's all good and warm rub the offending race with ice. It might just fall out.
No. It won't.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
Scottysix9
Shhh...

One more thing...

Replace both bearings and their seals.

"If you're gonna do something, do it right"- my mom.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #10
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,174
Do you have a welder, any welder...!?!?

ussually they just come off just by welding on them, don't ask me why, it works.

but if that is not the case just weld any piece of metal as a bridge in between the two sides of the races (on the metal oviuslly, just cut a piece of anything and weld it one) and then you will have a surface to push aka hammer the S^^t out of it.

oviuslly heating the hub help to expend the aluminum too.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
vxweers
n00b

Oddometer: 1
usually forums are full of crap but if you just touch the bearing race with a stick welder in two places 180 degrees from one another the race will practically fall out.

I know. I just did it.
vxweers is offline   Reply With Quote