User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
sandgroper OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,695
Shoo Roos

Has anyone used this device on their bike or car? did it work for you? or did you still manage to collect something
Ed.
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
thumper gman
GLEN

Oddometer: 559
no picture so ill presume you mean those little whistlers, my cousien had one fitted to his car and my brother had one on his car and both have hit roos and destroyed there cars ive never had one fitted and have more country miles than both of them put together and have never hit one .
thumper gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,021
thumper's observation reflects pretty much what i've heard. i think (it was) csiro tested them and discounted any benefits from memory...

i'd invest in better lights perhaps.

here found this:

From the CSIRO magazine "Wildlife Research":

Frequency and causes of kangaroo–vehicle collisions on an Australian outback highway

Ulrike Klöcker A , David B. Croft B , C , D and Daniel Ramp B

A Museum Alexander Koenig, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universität Bonn, 53113 Bonn, Germany.
B School of Biological, Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia.
C University of New South Wales Arid Zone Research Station, Fowlers Gap, via Broken Hill, NSW 2880, Australia.
D Corresponding author. Email: d.croft@unsw.edu.au

Abstract

Kangaroo–vehicle collisions are frequent on Australian highways. Despite high economic costs, detrimental effects on animal welfare, and potential impacts on population viability, little research has been done to investigate the impact of road mortality on kangaroo populations, where and why accidents occur, and how the collisions can be mitigated. We therefore collected data on species (Macropus rufus, M. giganteus, M. fuliginosus, M. robustus), sex and age of kangaroos killed on a 21.2-km bitumenised section of outback highway over 6 months in far western New South Wales, Australia. The spatial and temporal distribution of road-killed kangaroos was investigated in relation to the cover and quality of road-side vegetation, road characteristics, the density of kangaroos along the road, climatic variables and traffic volume. A total of 125 kangaroos were found killed on the road at a rate of 0.03 deaths km–1 day–1. Grey kangaroos of two species (M. giganteus, M. fuliginosus) were under-represented in the road-kill sample in comparison with their proportion in the source population estimated during the day. No bias towards either sex was found. The age structure of road-killed kangaroos was similar to age structures typical of source kangaroo populations. Road-kills mainly occurred in open plains country. In road sections with curves or stock races, road-kill frequencies were higher than expected. Greater cover and greenness of roadside vegetation at the verge probably attracted kangaroos to the road and variation in this vegetation affected the spatial distribution of road-kills. The temporal distribution of road-kills was positively correlated with the volume of night-time traffic. The probability of a kangaroo–vehicle collision increased exponentially with traffic volume. Results are discussed in relation to the potential for mitigation of kangaroo–vehicle collisions.
Wildlife Research 33(1) 5–15

and...

Roo-Guard® sound emitters are not effective at deterring tammar wallabies (Macropus eugenii) from a source of food

Sarah Muirhead A , Dominique Blache A , Boyd Wykes B and Roberta Bencini A , C

A School of Animal Biology, M085, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia.
B Defence Estate Organisation LB 5001, Fremantle, WA 6959, Australia.

Abstract

Auditory deterrents such as the Roo-Guard® sound emitters (Shu-Roo Australia Pty Ltd) have been used to keep kangaroos off crops and airstrips. We tested the efficacy of the Roo-Guard® Mk II sound emitter in deterring tammar wallabies (Macropus eugenii) from a known source of food on Garden Island, Western Australia, where up to 400 tammars are killed yearly by vehicles. The device was not effective in deterring the tammars from the food even when an alternative source of food was available. It was concluded that the Roo-Guards in their present form are not suitable to keep tammars off the roads of Garden Island.
Wildlife Research 33(2) 131–136

Submitted: 27 April 2004 Accepted: 13 February 2006 Published: 12 April 2006

Full text DOI: 10.1071/WR04032

© CSIRO

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”

Mouse screwed with this post 04-13-2007 at 08:32 PM
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
sandgroper OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
thumper's observation reflects pretty much what i've heard. i think (it was) csiro tested them and discounted any benefits from memory...

i'd invest in better lights perhaps.

here found this:
Thanks for the light reading, I'll take your advice and put my money to better use
ed
Old 04-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 637
Yep, a loud exhaust appears to be the best protection,if they hear you coming,they are gone before you can spook them into running in front of you.......had a shoo-roo on the bike and still cartwheeled the bike at 110k's when it ran in front of the front wheel!By the way,don't be fooled into thinking they are only out early in the morning and at night,cos with the drought we have had over the last few years,the little buggers are out foraging for the green pick on the roadsides pretty much all day.The bit of rain we have had on the south coast over the last month or two has eased the situation a bit as they can get tucker well away from the roadside.Just remember to keep one eye open for them!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
wagsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The only thing I know thats shoo's Roo's away is a 12 gauge. Kam Boom..

I think a loud exhaust note is best as not only does it let them know you are comming but lets the Tin Tops as well.

I grew up on a farm and we had them on the car..did not stop us hitting them still.
wagsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:51 AM   #7
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley
Yep, a loud exhaust appears to be the best protection,if they hear you coming,they are gone before you can spook them into running in front of you.......had a shoo-roo on the bike and still cartwheeled the bike at 110k's when it ran in front of the front wheel!By the way,don't be fooled into thinking they are only out early in the morning and at night,cos with the drought we have had over the last few years,the little buggers are out foraging for the green pick on the roadsides pretty much all day.The bit of rain we have had on the south coast over the last month or two has eased the situation a bit as they can get tucker well away from the roadside.Just remember to keep one eye open for them!
Yep.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
sandgroper OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper gman
no picture so ill presume you mean those little whistlers, my cousien had one fitted to his car and my brother had one on his car and both have hit roos and destroyed there cars ive never had one fitted and have more country miles than both of them put together and have never hit one .
Yep thats the one, a friend in 3 springs fitted one to her car and never hit anything, but then she never hit anything before fitting it
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,021
ed, not that i've a strong desire to read this 170 page thesis on the subject but you'll find the summary at the start suggests you develop an effective way to imitate a foot thump if you want a deterent...

might be time to get the xr650 out of the shed again

masochist i am, here is a little quote from page 49

Abstract: The Shu Roo® is a commercial ultrasonic deterrent device designed to protect vehicles from collisions with kangaroos. The manufacturer claims the Shu Roo covers a 400-m area ahead of the vehicle, is audible to kangaroos and results in kangaroos moving from the path of the vehicle. I conducted laboratory and field trials to evaluate these claims. The Shu Roo signal had only a small component of ultrasonic frequencies and could be detected on grass and bitumen only to a maximum distance of 50 m, and was not detectable above the noise produced by 4 different moving vehicles. In static tests, the Shu Roo signal did not alter the behavior of captive eastern grey kangaroos (Macropus giganteus) or red kangaroos (M. rufus) in any way. The ineffectiveness of the Shu Roo should caution people against using other ultrasonic deterrent devices, at least for kangaroos.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”

Mouse screwed with this post 04-13-2007 at 08:52 PM
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Shooroos seem like a good idea but I have never noticed roos moving away from the only vehicle I ever had them on.

Now a DR with unbaffled Staintune scares the shit out of them.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
Shooroos seem like a good idea but I have never noticed roos moving away from the only vehicle I ever had them on.

Now a DR with unbaffled Staintune scares the shit out of them.
The one I 'met' on the Louth Road heading to the 04 OCR must have been deaf then.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Question Shoo roo

Has anyone fitted one of these type devices to their bike?

And I know it'll start a great debate but, do you think they work?

I'm on 12 hour shifts and I go to work and come home in the dark and I meet lots of wallabies each way.

I've had too many near misses lately!
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,452
My understanding is they are about as much use in keeping Roos away as George Bush is in Mid East Diplomacy
Old 06-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,248
It's been discussed before here... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221519

You could try dingo piss http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148061
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Those who have them swear by them to justify the purchase and point out they they have never had an "incident" since they were fitted.
Those of us who don't have them fitted point out that the vast majority have never had an "incident" either.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote