User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
ErikB OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Question Magazines

OK, so not a GS-specific post, but does anyone here pay for a Motorcycle.com subscription? Is it worth it?

Also, I'm thinking of subscribing to a paper motorcycle mag. What's a good one? I'm looking for something that has a little of everything, not just cruisers or sportbikes.
ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
pathfinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Motorcycle news

Have you looked at Motorcycle Consumer News?

http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/

They just about cover the waterfront on different types of bikes altho more of the asphalt flavor than dirt. They take NO advertising so maybe they are less biased. At least that is my take on them

Cheers,
Pathfinder

"Half the people you see these days are talking on cell phones,
Drivin' off the road and bumping into doors"

Greg Brown
pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:43 PM   #3
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Have you joined the AMA yet? They work every day to protect your rights as a motorcyclist and the magazine isn't bad either.

American Motorcyclist Association

I used to read Motorcyclist religiously, but after a while the articles seem repetitive and I lost interest. They cover all catagories of motorcycles, but they seem to favor sportbikes.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:05 PM   #4
jlundin
Globe-Stomper

Oddometer: 1,009
This is a bit mainstream - but I opted not to renew my Motorcyclist subscription and went with Cycle World instead.

I got bored to tears of all the crotch rocket and jap cruiser crap. CW does a much better job at representing the broader scene.

Check out Motorcycle Voyager...
jlundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:05 AM   #5
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,169
Re: Magazines

Quote:
Said ErikB:
OK, so not a GS-specific post, but does anyone here pay for a Motorcycle.com subscription? Is it worth it?
I used to subscribe, mainly because John Burns was the editor for awhile. It wasn't worth it though, and he's no longer with 'em anyway. They produce (infrequently) very little original content.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:15 PM   #6
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I prefer the Brit mags, specifically "Bike." Where else would you see a test between a GS, VFR800, and a ST1300. If you can get to a Barnes and Noble, or Borders, I would suggest looking over the stuff for 2 or 3 issues, then pick the one you like best. I'm lucky to have Book People here in Austin, Texas with a great selection of mags.

O'yah, the original question! I subscribe to motorcycle.com, and wouldn't bother with it. I spend much more time checking out Motorcycledaily.com for a few minutes each day to stay up on the latest, D. Edge has a nice site, and it's free.

Mack screwed with this post 09-11-2003 at 07:20 PM
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:56 PM   #7
pebowles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
I vote for Bike, too. Hard to find (although Barnes & Noble seems to carry it) and expensive to subscribe to. Lots of content, a nicely independent attitude, if somethings crappy they say so directly.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:15 PM   #8
Claim Jumper
will work for knobbies

Oddometer: 520
I picked up an issue of Bike (or maybe T.W.O. [two wheels only]) which had an interesting comparison of the KTM 950, the BMW GS and the Honda Africa Twin. Good info there. You also notice the english mags always comment on the finish of the bikes, as in how they stand up to the weather. Not really a concern for southern california mag writers. FYI the BMW's always do well in this respect.
Claim Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:50 PM   #9
redseca2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
moto magazines

Free in San Francisco, but $20.00 or so to mail elsewhere:

http://citybike.com/

Motocycle Consumer News is graphically dead, but the contents are not.

I think Rider is the most acceptable of the mass market mags.
redseca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #10
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,872
For $11.95 a year or whatever it is, it's only a dollar a month, but I can't say I'm all that pleased or excited with motorcycle.com. When my year's up, I doubt I'll renew it. I like John Burns' writing but that's about it. And even he's turned into kind of a jerk.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #11
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,985
I just returned from Denmark, my X and daughter live there. My kid lives 3 blocks from the main train station in Copenhagen. In the station there is a kiosk that sells snacks and magazines and newspapers.

They had 42 (fourty two) Motorcycle magazines!!! on the shelves, so many that I actually counted them :):

Only a few were from the USA they didn't have Cycle World. they had some motocross mags and some Chopper stuff....Most were either UK or Germany, none in French a few in Italian. They has some duelsport mags, enduro and off road mags, touring mags etc.

The German mag Motorrad had it's 50 year issue out, it was thick as the Copenhagen phone book :): I just wished I read German

The foreign mags are SO MUCH BETTER than the USA crap. Living in the SF Bay Area i can go just down the street and get a ton of UK mags but some of the German ones really rawk!

I found this guy sometime back, The Magazine Man: http://www.themagazineman.co.uk/Maga...ks%20Index.htm
He lists maybe 80 or 100 MC mags!

CityBike is the best thing going!
Old 09-10-2003, 02:34 PM   #12
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 497
For some reason I prefer Cycle World.

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:45 PM   #13
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Quote:
Said J Lewis:
For some reason I prefer Cycle World.
Weirdo.

Of the U.S. mags I prefer Cycle World too, because they have Peter Egan, Kevin Cameron, and . . . wait for it . . . Jimmy Lewis. I usually don't bother with Motorcyclist unless they are running an interesting feature, like basically anything by Mark Gardiner (his Isle of Man stories rawked!).

I dig Bike too. I remember some months ago they did a story about skipping out on work and going riding. Great stuff.

photo galleries
Old 09-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #14
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,675
Quote:
Said HarveyMushman:
Weirdo.

Of the U.S. mags I prefer Cycle World too, because they have Peter Egan, Kevin Cameron, and . . . wait for it . . . Jimmy Lewis. I usually don't bother with Motorcyclist unless they are running an interesting feature, like basically anything by Mark Gardiner (his Isle of Man stories rawked!).

I dig Bike too. I remember some months ago they did a story about skipping out on work and going riding. Great stuff.
I started reading Motorcyclist more closely when Greg McQuide started writing there. He was a bud of mine when we were both Yankee Beemers in Massachusetts. He got killed back in 2000 (going back to his hotel on a Triumph at the Honda Hoot) and took the only spark of creative writing in that magazine with him.

I still subscribe, kind of like a bad habit. I read Cycle World because it seems to be written for adults. Not only that, Egan is simply the best motojournalist there is. No offense, Jimmy, but Egan talks about all the stuff we all do; hanging in the garage, obsessing about new and old bikes, drinking beer and telling lies about bikes with our buds.

I've got about 25 years of motorcycle and car magazines stacked here in my office (shelving and organization soon!). I don't miss Cycle Guide, but I really, really miss Cycle. The amazing amount of content in that magazine is still unsurpassed.

If I could offer one suggestion for CW, it's to keep us in the loop on your test bikes. You guys put all kinds of neat gadgets on the bikes, but don't tell us about them until you close out the long term test. Your, *ahem* competition tells us what's up, even though it's only a paragraph and they don't seem to ride them very much.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:01 PM   #15
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Quote:
Said kbasa:
Your, *ahem* competition tells us what's up, even though it's only a paragraph and they don't seem to ride them very much.
Their long-term reports are a joke!

Well, since last months update Ive managed to pile up another 100 miles. Ill need to find the time to get some gas soon, I guess. Since we received the bike six months ago we've managed to put about 500 miles on it. As you can tell, it's one of the more popular scoots in the Motorcyclist long-term fleet. With each passing mile I am further astounded by the machines stunning versatility. Just last night I rode it to dinner and backabout a 2 mile round tripand couldnt help but notice how comfortable it was and how well the engine performed with the choke on. Thats why we do these long-term tests, to learn what its like to really live with these wonderful machines day-in-day-out.

However, as wonderful as it is, the bike is not perfect. So I stole the editors credit card, opened up the accessory catalogs, and started the improvement process. On the way are a new rear sprocket (the 4th Ive tried so far; I just know the gearing will be perfect this time), a full Ti exhaust system to replace the full Ti exhaust system we installed last week, some trick wheels that weigh a whole pound less than the stockers (theyre only $3,500!), three new seats, five different brands of chains, 10 sets of brake pads, and a touring style windscreen that will earn its keep when I make the big 10-mile trip to return the bike to the manufacturer at the end of the month.

Hopefully installing all of the improvements won't keep the bike off the road for too much of the month.

photo galleries