ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Meathead OP
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
No Clever Name

This is your personalized, formal invitation to a weekend of ADVriding fun in Northeast Alabama, for which I can think of no clever name. This will be the weekend of September 28-30.

I'll be posting gps coordinates and directions at a later date, but time is of the essence (because I've dragged ass all summer and put this off 'til now) and I'd like to give as much warning as possible. We'll be in Langston, Alabama, just south of Scottsboro, on the east side of the Tennessee River.

Edit: GPS geeks can find the place at: N34o31.841' W086o05.761'. I'll PM directions to everyone at a later date.

Here:

The lake is back there, I promise.

See? There's a dock with a boathouse there now, and the family boat for anyone who thinks they're capable of skiing (pics now posted - #62). Ask cRAsH about the weight limit.

There's a full-blown kitchen as well, and we'll have coolers full of your favorite . . . . . . . . . . PBR.

I intend to provide, as mentioned, a copious supply of PBR . . . okay, I'll get some other cheapo domestics, too. I've given notice to the local sandwich/burger joint that we'll be arriving en masse for lunch on Saturday (figure on spending $5 or so), and I'll be providing burgers, brats and such for the entire crowd on Saturday night. I'll also be actively recruiting help preparing a breakfast on Sunday morning.

There's room indoors for 20 people or so, as long as you don't mind sleeping on the floor, and listening to a bunch of old fat guys snore. There's room for dozens upon dozens of tents in the grass between the house and the lake, and you can even sleep on the dock if you'd like.

There are some really great roads in the area. I'm sure we've got inmates much more familiar with 'em than I am, but I'll prepare a good loop route or two, if nobody else chimes in. I know GSBS and a few others are intimately familiar with the area, and I've only just started to explore, so I'll cross my fingers and hope they can pitch in here.

This isn't intended to be an enormous event, but I'm also not gonna put a limit on the number of attendees. I would, however, like some kinda notice if you intend to be there, so I know how much PBR to pick up.

We'll ride. We'll swim. We'll ride. We'll ski. We'll ride. We'll eat. We'll ride. We'll drink. We won't ride anymore that day. We'll get up and ride.

I know it's short notice, but let's see a little turnout here.

In:

NoMystery
ab1wayout
ADVMax (fearless route planner )
adways
baldwithglasses
beefjerky
Bender
birdawg
BlueLghtning
bman
Boojum
btretired
Caffeind
CapeFearKeith
daGeeeze
DataDaddy
DC950
DeBandi
DeputyTom
dgunther
Dirtysouf
Dukeryder
dwj
elchulopadre
ElPelon
flux capacitor (or capacitator, for Michelle )
GaM & Becca
gaspipe
Grad
Hawk
hcope1
hoggjaww
HTSRocker
Jack Daniel
jennyhayes
Jhalls
JKnowledge

JohnTM
jumpingchollo
kellyk7
klr
klrzorn
knybanjo, a.k.a. Chewbacca
Krautbikeman
kv
Land
leewildwater
loose (my bad, dood )
Millrgd79
Mugwest
Pepperz
RicH2
RoadMinge
sangfroid
SDS
Shoganai
SlipperyPete & April the Unstoppable
squeakysquirrel
Steverino
SuchesRider
Swashplate
Team Redneck
tennisman
tmgs & the lovely Karen
Topdog
Venturer & brother
Willy-B
WoovsHoovs
Wheedle
Whorepedo
Xeraux

Maybe:

AdvRydr
AdvRydr
bronc3
CHROMEKID01
chuckklr04
cmwoodys
craftkr
Curvy
dakarboy, mud whiner
disconnected
FatDog
Fireman1000
gambrinus (DOOOOOO IT!)
geode
Gert
Incabiker
inkdwheels

jdavidallen
KaceCoyote
MountainClimber (out . . . thank you for your service and your sacrifice, sir)
Medicine Creek
norton73
PhilSpace
Reg01

RoundelRider
sandmar
2ndSPACE
snoid
STOBOTZ
Trailace

Meathead screwed with this post 09-27-2007 at 07:11 AM
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Trip
Unkempt

Oddometer: 31,120
This will not end well.

IN.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Oddometer: 31,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
This will not end well.

IN.
It had potential!

The Second Amendment - it ain't about duck hunting.

You heatherns needs some churchin up - http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Oh! And By The Way!!!!

That's not Larry.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

To Meathead and his wonderful Father, THANK YOU for a knockout weekend!

It WAS the stuff!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax
To Meathead and his wonderful Father, THANK YOU for a knockout weekend!

It WAS the stuff!

Wow looks like a great time, I am really really bummed we could not make it for this!

Tom and Karen
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
FBOMB
Re-noobed

Oddometer: 8,337
Holy shit!

Where ya been Mark?

edit: This will end.

Jay
FBOMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Sounds good to me dude. Nice place. Never ridden in AL. Guess that will have to change, eh? Barring any craziness between now and then, count me in. You need help with anything you know where to find me.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
If anyone sleeps on the deck, I want pics of when they're tossed into the lake!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,621
I dub thee NCN07

Sounds like fun. The North and Eastern parts of AL were my old haunts. Good times. Should be a cool event.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
GTomic
Sanguine

Oddometer: 13,783
Looks like an excellent floor for late night clog dancing. Anyone else?
GTomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #12
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,955

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:49 AM   #13
Mugwest

Oddometer: 6,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
This will be the weekend of September 28-30. [...]This isn't intended to be an enormous event,
Meat, you've given waay too much lead time for this to be anything but large. I want to meet you ATL/SE lot. I'll bring my omellet whisk and the good knife.

Dibs on tenting on the dock!

MRP
Old 07-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #14
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb Looks & sounds great

Dammit son...been keeping my eye out for a get together I could make...would love to meet some of the inmates in person, but am flat covered up that weekend. Will be cooking around the clock from Thursday to Sunday with a competition BBQ team.

BBQ on the River in Paducah, KY...any riders headed down for this & traveling through Paducah...stop by for some good BBQ & find the Buzzard Brothers booth. Give John the ADV riders salute & get a free BBQ sammich

Hate to miss this one...I'm sure you'll have a blast.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #15
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon
Dammit son...been keeping my eye out for a get together I could make...would love to meet some of the inmates in person, but am flat covered up that weekend. Will be cooking around the clock from Thursday to Sunday with a competition BBQ team.

BBQ on the River in Paducah, KY...any riders headed down for this & traveling through Paducah...stop by for some good BBQ & find the Buzzard Brothers booth. Give John the ADV riders salute & get a free BBQ sammich

Hate to miss this one...I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Google Buzzard Brothers and Paducah and came up with this... Way to go!

This is the 12th year for the festival and it ran from the 28th through the 30th. It's a charity fund-raiser and raised in excess of $300,000 last year. Won't find out for a while how much was raised this year. The news reports said that an estimated 40,000 people attended over the three-day period. Over 25 tons of meat and poultry was cooked.

Saturday - September 30 - was an awesomely beautiful day. Picture-perfect sky. Blue and filled with puffy clouds. The festival area was packed with everyone looking for that perfect bite of barbecue. I could've eaten the air. It smelled divine.

There were 88 participating booths. 46 of them were contestants hoping to bring home the #1 trophy. Cookers represented all kinds of groups and organizations. Red Cross, fire departments, churches, bowling teams, you name it. They're a fun group of people with the best senses of humor as noted by their team names. Smokin' Hose Grillin' Team (fire department), Basty Boys, River City Rib Ticklers, Buzzard Brothers, Certified Holy Smoke (Baptist church), and more.

If you needed something to eat along with your barbecue, there was plenty else to be had. Funnel cakes, of course, ribbon fries, Polish and Italian sausges (but, why?), roasted nuts, fruit smoothies, fried green tomatoes, corn on the cob, chocolate-dipped frozen bananas, made-on-site kettle corn (smelled yummy), cheesecake-on-a-stick, deep-fried candy bars, fried ice cream, and more, and more, and more.

We arrived just after noon and made our way through the mob of people. Bought a bunch of shredded pork and a couple of drinks from Buzzard Brothers. They've been Grand Champions several years in a row and we've never been disappointed with their cooked piggie . We were rewarded with very happy tastebuds and a full tummy. Buzzard Brothers was as good as we'd remembered.

As we ate, we did a significant amount of people-watching. This was VERY fertile people-watching ground. Since it was quite warm, my husband had to put his eyeballs back in their sockets when some young things strolled by in, shall I say, scant and/or clingy duds.

There were also some real "characters" to see. Biker mamas. Whoa! Some of them were true pieces of work.

Lots of people with their dogs on a leash. Buck and I thought taking a dog to an event like this was borderline doggie abuse. What with all the smells and some of the tidbits on the ground. I got a doggie "fix" when we chatted with a family who had their bichon, Jazzie, in tow. Looked exactly like my little Spike. He was a doll and I still miss him. Jazzie was adorable and let me get my fill of petting her.

Across from the beer garden there was a stage for live music. The band that was playing while we were there was pretty good.

As our final act of indugence, we stopped at a booth we saw as we came in. It was a church group that sold fried ice cream. Oh, boy, how delicious. Each serving was a big, and I mean big, scoop of vanilla ice cream that had been rolled in what looked like finely chopped/shredded coconut, ground nuts and cinnamon. Then the whole thing was deep-fried very quickly. Each scoop was topped with your choice of chocolate syrup or honey. Chocolate syrup, of course. A wedge of fried flour tortilla dusted with cinnamon/sugar completed the dessert. M-m-m-m, good! It took us nearly a half an hour to polish it off.

We sat near a large gazebo to eat our ice cream while watching about 6 horse-drawn carriages come and go. Everyone was in a festive mood and we had a great time. We always look forward to Barbecue-on-the-River. Only a little over 11 months to go until next year. Guess I'll have to be patient.

My recommendation? If you're in the Paducah, KY area near the end of September, stick around for the barbecue festival. You won't be sorry.

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote