Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Loss of Map Detail--Garmin 60cx

Hello all,

Riding around in the WY backcountry the other day, I am one minute looking at very minor roads (minor in the sense that some of them no longer exist in reality.) The next minute my screen shows little more detail than the freeway system and some major paved roads, all forty plus miles away and my immediate are is blank. Is it possible to fat finger the buttons to make it do this? Any suggestions for how to get the detail back when this happens?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
i had to fold up a little scrap of paper into a square shape and put it between the batteries and the memory card to keep the card from shaking loose. It was happening every ride
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,850
Do you download maps into a 60cx? I ask because you do on my 76 and if I ride "off" one of the maps I've downloaded and onto the built in "basemap" the exact same thing happens. Also, the cursor showing my position then has a dotted circle around it, indicating my position is "approximate".

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Notwithstanding some weird failure, I see two possibilities:

- The unit started using the basemap rather than a loaded map. As someone else mentioned, this will happen if you ride "off" the maps you have loaded - the unit will revert to the basemap which has very little detail. You can manually turning off/on what maps are displayed in Menu > Map > Info icon, although I have no idea how you could have inadvertently done this while riding.

- You may have zoomed to a level where the maps were "decluttered" to show only major roads and since there were no major roads in your area, you saw nothing. There is a setting in Menu > Map > Detail where you can vary the degree of map detail for any particular zoom setting. For backroads exploration, mine stays on "Most".

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
...You may have zoomed to a level where the maps were "decluttered" to show only major roads and since there were no major roads in your area, you saw nothing. There is a setting in Menu > Map > Detail where you can vary the degree of map detail for any particular zoom setting. For backroads exploration, mine stays on "Most"....
I just checked mine, and it is set at most. Also, when I zoomed up and down there were no minor roads. They'd all disappeared at all zoom levels. At this point I'm suspecting it was the card jiggling loose.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 07-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,006
I had that happen to my Legend Cx once. I pulled the SD card out, reseated it, and all was well with the world again!!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin
I just checked mine, and it is set at most. Also, when I zoomed up and down there were no minor roads. They'd all disappeared at all zoom levels. At this point I'm suspecting it was the card jiggling loose.
Haven't had any issues with the card on my 60Cx, but this explanation makes sense. Hope you get her working.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Do you download maps into a 60cx? I ask because you do on my 76 and if I ride "off" one of the maps I've downloaded and onto the built in "basemap" the exact same thing happens. Also, the cursor showing my position then has a dotted circle around it, indicating my position is "approximate".
Yes, I downloaded maps. But I should not have reached the edge of what I downloaded. Although, I did end up with the circle around the cursor, just as you describe. I'm inclined to think it was the card jiggling and losing connection as mentioned above. I believe the maps are stored on the card, so that is logical.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin
But I should not have reached the edge of what I downloaded. Thanks,

Jay
Funny, I ALWAYS do. No matter how careful I am, or how well I plan where I think I'll go, I always end up back on paper at some point!

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote