User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
edeslaur OP
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Wicked The odd couple; Portland to Sandy Eggo

At around 64,000 miles, my heretofore trusty and extremely beloved K1200RS (Naughty Zoot - and she was very naughty) had developed a habit of drinking her oil. The problem started suddenly on a trip from Flagstaff to San Diego, leaving Flagstaff full of oil and arriving in San Diego with that hollow look in her sight glass.

While the trip didn't last nearly as long as the expected 7-8 hours, and we, of course, took the long, curvy way home, Zoot and I had certainly shortened other, longer trips in similar fashion before. After all, she was a BMW. A very hot, sensual BMW with great curves and exceedingly long legs. And stamina. Whoo.

Of course, she started up in the morning with no blue smoke evident anywhere. Neither was it to be seen while riding, though the inside of the exhaust, typically a nice ash grey, had a few crannies where some black was building up. She was drinking behind my back and when alone, it appeared. And since I have days where we casually knock down 1,000 to 1,500 miles, this would not do. I've never had to carry any oil, and now she'd be carrying a quart everywhere we went. And she'd be going through much of it every day.

It was clear she had developed a drinking problem.

Lonely, I looked to the internet to salve my woes. I started an online relationship with another bike. I'm not proud, but there it was. And this one is an incredible sexpot, more lithe, she's much closer to her claimed weight, and incredibly agile in the, umm, corners.

Here my internet fling, Double Yellow, posing with her sister Dirty Husky. Notice Dirty Husky's knobbies are showing. Aren't they just a hot pair of bikes?

As you can see, it was only a matter of time. What a sexpot!

I did the unthinkable and I left Zoot. Her new owner loves her, though last we spoke, he was holding back oil until her pressure light came on. By then, she was out of my life, so I tried to be the good guy and steer her new owner in the right direction to ensure a long and happy relationship. She was, after all, as her maker had made her and it wasn't her fault directly that she had a drinking problem. I can only hoped her new owner listened and didn't try to wean her from oil cold-turkey.

My relationship with Double Yellow continued, hot and heavy. I soon found out she was swathed in carbon fiber, she came with skimpy city lids, and she wore a racy set of Ohlins. Even better, she came with regular lids too, enabling her to play the well-heeled in public circumstances. Oooooh man.

Before I knew it, she and I had a hot and heavy relationship going. I was going to find out, looking good isn't all that I needed as a man.

One day, DoubleYellow brought Dirty Husky along.

Dirty Husky's tail end was redone by Leo Vance, and with her skidplate and barkbusters, and her long, long travel, she liked it rough. Really rough.

I'm going to leave the rest to your imagination.

Dirty Husky's one limitiation was stamina, so an IMS 5 gallon tank was sent to help her get into shape for those day long sessions we all dream of.

After a slightly more extended converation, and a close look at my financial condition to ensure I could sustain these two in the manner to which they were accustomed, I decided that it was time to make our relationship more meaningful. They were going to come live with me.

What follows is my trip to collect these two sensual individuals and bring them down to a life of slavery and drudgery, where all they do is commute back and forth to work. It's a sad story, one no one wants to see a motorcycle live, but these two are living it now, in the shackles of a hard, demanding man, a man who's recently become lost, who works far too much lately to invest in pleasure time with his motorcycles.

What a shame.

I apologize in advance for the dry approach forthcoming, the lack if worldliness, but this writing style cannot continue and yet allow one to keep one's sanity... Whether the one is thee or me, we shall not know.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 08-12-2007 at 02:55 AM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:58 AM   #2
edeslaur OP
San Diegan

How to get two bikes from Portland to Oregon. Hmmm.

I could fly up there, ride one down. Fly back, and ride one down. Now that sounds fun!
I was feeling the love. Everywhere I turned, somone was willing to bend over backwards to help me with this problem, this conundrum. The folks at work, the fellow who bought Naughty Zoot (Monty Python, folks), and guys on my mailing lists all volunteered to help me out.

It's like when you take your bike to the restaurant and the valet offers to park it for you. Everyone's a helper.

My brother doesn't get out much. He lives in Tennessee, and he rides. Hmm, let's see if he wants to do this with me.

He does! Yaaaaay! It'll be like when we were kids and hung out together. Ok, not so much because a day full of riding precludes a day full of talking.

At the end, I really enjoyed the trip with my brother. However, we talked more on a trip to town in my cage than we did for hours on end on the road on the bikes. Sure, DUH. In hindsight.

Here's Mt Hood as my brother flew into Portland

My office view used to be most of the mountain over the Willamette (Will-Am-Eht), and a good view of the Hawthorne and other bridges.

Yannick's the picture-taker in my family. I rely on a mind like a steel trap to remember events. Unfortunately, it has a big hole in the bottom, so I forget that I should take pictures cause I suffer from CRS.

One big challenge - it had been raining like crazy all up and down the west coast. And cold. I have a great Heine Gericke setup, and even in 26 degrees, I can get by. Yannick's a fair weather rider. Tough as nails, but anyone who's ridden in that knows tough only gets you so far.

So what to pack?! One for me, one for him. One for me, one for him. Let's say, I packed more than I would have normally... This would have consequences later.

Drrags picked me up when I got to Portland. It'd been a long time and I missed hanging out with him. Love his attitude and his perspective on things. It' had been some years, but he didn't look and different. Awesome.

Yannick was coming in the next day, so we headed off and had something to eat.

He's in the middle of updating a few things. I know a few things, so I helped do a little drywall work and change out a couple of light fixtures. For some reason, I'd always rather do a friend's than my own.

The next day, we get up with the plan to go to Sand Lake and get some sand riding in, then come back in time to pick Yannick up from the airport.

Let's say that, like all plans, it was a good plan.

Here we are stopping off at Jim's where he loaned us a couple of flags. Thanks Jim!!

I never feel good when I'm R&Ring an axle nut and then going on a trip. But the Husky's is a Nylock, and that was pretty cool!

Here's Jim and I with Drrags' LC640
As you can see, Jim's salivating over the Husky while I'm looking for the camera. I didn't feel bad, his Triumph is pretty hot. I don't think I've ever seen a bike as clean.

And he recently got a new 510 he loves. Awesome!

After that, it was on the road. We stopped by the Log Cabin, a breakfast hangout from my 4x4 days. You can find the Log Cabin in the Tillamook State Forest on the N side of the road. It's been opened and closed several times, but finally seems to be staying open.

Thank goodness, I was starving for country fried steak, eggs over easy, hashbrowns, and an ice cold glass of milk.

If you want something special, just tell Digger, he'll hook you up.

As you can see from this shot, my prowess with a camera is unsurpassed. It's even digital. No, I have no shame.

While talking to Digger, he turned us onto a road that cut across to Vernonia.

I had a concern as the Husky was running Scorpions, the knobbies were packed up and ready to be shipped to her new home. If you haven't been in the mud in the NorthWet [sic], then you haven't been in mud.

When I first moved out there, on flat land, in 4wd with BFG ATs in my fullsize Blazer, I could barely move. That clay can be slick.

What the heck I'm on a bike now!! Let's go!

It wasn't to be. I made it about 12' up the hill and that was it. Drrags tried hard not to laugh at me, and only just succeeded.

At this point, our plans to go to the dunes at Sand Lake sorta petered out. Instead we found some logging roads and went on a jaunt. I was happy drrags had a GPS. I never get lost in the SouthWest, but in the NorthWet mountains, I get lost in a hurry. I think it's the constant overcast that does me in.

Here we are taking a break. Lovely view. Oh, and there's that overcast.

WHAT are you pointing AT?

Nope, I'm not seeing it

Lookit the poseurs!

Why is it my glasses are so dark? When I left the NorthWet, I was whiter than a sheet of paper. WHAT UV?!

This is a FANTASTIC shot drrags took. This is often my background at work. The bikes are offset by the beatiful birch trees, and the road wending by into the distance.

You can just imagine clipping the apexes of the curves and slice through them, gas pinned wide open. Real soon I was going to be wishing I had left the knobbies on.

Ooooh, I want to take a pik-shure, it's soooo pretty! :ymca
Drrags strikes as I step towards him - but it doesn't look like I'm walking...

So the Husky has about 190 miles on it (remember this). I'm running Scorpions (dualsport tires). And I'm used to running on roads like this on my CR500. So what do I do? Yep, I put the hammer down a bit (hey, the bike's still new).

Of course, I'm only used to riding in the dirt on knobbies, not dualsport tires.

All day, the brakes have been a bit, well, underperforming. We had just come down a biiiig hill to this, and I ran up the hill with gusto, and around the corner.

And down the straight.

To another corner.

Where I laid on the brakes in order to make the corner.

What I failed to realize is that the rear brakes seem to have broken in during the big downhill event (I was riding them on purpose). But not the fronts!
Next thing I knew, I was about 90 degrees to the road. I'm modulating like crazy, the a$$ end of the bike is swinging from one side to the other, and the fronts brakes are working, but not CR500 one-finger-with-knobbies great, and there's a big, steeeeeeep dropoff coming up with lots of those big, green, hard things called trees and stumps all over its face for me to fall down and hit.

I finally get it whoa'd enough to make the corner, but WOW. Always a pleasure that I don't target fixate often.

We shoulda got a shot of the brake marks, it was silly. Drrags pulls up and tells me he first thought I was going to show off and pitch it through the corner, and then realized things went wrong when the bike was suddenly pointing the wrong direction, right direction, wrong direction to support that.

What a noob thing to do. Heh.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 AM   #3
edeslaur OP
San Diegan

After some more puttering around on the roads, at faster and faster speeds as I started to push the Scorpions gradually to their limits (instead of all at once, like before!), it got to be time to head back.

Now, anyone who tells you the seat on a TE610 is comfortable is trying to sel you something. And to put this in perspective, I've completed 1,500 miles in 24 hours on a factory BMW saddle, with lots of 1,000 mile days.

130 miles into this ride, and I'm really struggling to know how on earth I'm going to make it to Sandy Eggo from Portland on this seat. It makes a 2x4 look wide AND comfortable to sit on (Ok, the seat's a little wider). A solution is ahead. I think.

Drrags takes pity on me (by reading my mind, I DO NOT WHINE) and lets me ride his LC640. I think he wants to say goodbye to the Husky. And compare one final time.

I'm impressed. The Husky is zippier, but the LC just motors along. It's motor is definitely old school, but in a reassuring way. The brakes are more better too. But the Husky's fronts are finally breaking in.

On the way home, they work well enough for a couple of stoppies. Gawd, I hope so, they're Brembos.

We drop the bikes off, grab the cage, and off to the airport to pick up my brother. I haven't seen him in months, so the buff guy on the sidewalk looks like him, but when did he get as big as me? Ru-roh. Little brother no mo!

SWMBO alert - DO NOT read the following. Please?

We go to dinner and are talking. The waitress overhears that I've just acquired TWO new bikes and shares that she rides a 600. She's attractive in an "I'm a married man" kinda way and I try to steer her towards either of the unattached, eligible bachelors at the table. (what's really funny is I remember that she was, but not what she looks like. It SUCKS getting older!). I swear they can smell the married ones.

At one point, I make change my mind about what I'm ordering (or something like that) and she makes the comment that I'm to go to her room. Excuse me? Where the he** was she 22 years ago?! Oh, right, probably not born.

It was fun, especially for a worn down, pudgy guy like me. I'm hoping she wasn't just working for the tip, but drrags and my brother assure me she was.

The next morning, this big guy is still my little bro. Well, with a goatee. Anyways.

Awww, isn't he cute when he's seepin'?

Fortunately, I'll be about 12 states away when he sees this.

We got to packing and getting ready. Drrags was going to ride down to the CA border with us. Righteous!

As you can see from the weather, and if you've been paying attention, you may begin to realize I've overpacked. What had been cold, wet drizzle for weeks was now dry with sun breaks. But only a fool would complain, and I dumb, but not that dumb.

My brother the photographer sets up his tripod. Remember, it's early. And it's a weekday. And he's setting this up in your front yard.

to take this picture

Yeah, we got some looks.

Off to the races!!! Well, except it's Oregon (and Washington). Where getting a ticket is the expectation of every day and every trip for anyone and everyone who exceeds the speed limit by any measurable amount.

I was super stoked this time, though. We had a secret weapon. Unfortunately, we can't tell you what it is. But like all good secret weapons, just the fact that you have it means that you won't need it. And it was a bonzer of a good one.

Let's just say I never, ever in my 10 years of living in the NorthWet ever had such an uneventful ride insofar as the speed-obsessed officers of the NorthWet law are concerned (two of my uncles, and many of my dear friends are LEOs - just not in the NorthWet).

When I lived there, my Valentine 1 and my Lidatek provided the air cover I needed, but they still went off and were used! Not this trip. It was unbelievably surreal. I thought I was in other states where the law is about the spirit and not about the letter. OK, enough ranting, I don't live there anymore and should just get over it like the big boy I'm supposed to be.

Our first destination is the Evergreen Aviation Museum where the Spruce Goose is housed. It's on the way to McMinnville, Oregon. They have an SR71 BlackHawk. And those are cool. Anything than can outrun missles is unbelieveably cool in my book. And since I've never ridden or driven something that can't use another 100HP, it fits my style... That's a Hammer I can identify with.
http://www.sprucegoose.org/

I'm on the R1100S, so, for once, I'm the fastest bike in the pack. I also have the most gear.

Right around I5 and I205, about 25 minutes into the ride, I suddenly realize we've left a critical piece of luggage behind - our water packs, mine with some tools in it. I snag Drrag's garage door opener and tell them I'll meet them , and hoof back towards his house (can I find my way?!), now in RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. And no lane sharing, this isn't California.

All the way through Portland. I get to his house, pop open the fridge, and get our camelpacks. For all three of us. Some of my tools are in mine. Cause I wouldn't forget my camelpack, would I? D'OH!

Then I get to fight traffic all the way back. I choose the wrong route around Portland and edge through rubbernecks looking at an accident Northbound.

Now, since this is Oregon, and I have had more tickets in Oregon than in every other state in the union and all of Canada combined (even though I've only lived there a fraction of my life), I choose to be somewhat cautious about fracturing the law on the way to the Evergreen Museum. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Let's just say, the R, she runs purty good on nice roads.

See, officers, I'm being a gooooooood boy...

I get to the museum

...and have to take a call for work.

I've been there plenty, so the boys are off exploring and taking pictures.

The view NOT to have

Apparently this has something to do with aviation...

there was a very purty flower

A BIG plane... In its day! The movie on how they moved it is pretty cool.

Now this has some HAMMER to it

We spent about 3 hours at the museum.

Time to go onto our next adventure!

Here's a drrags patented shot.

Once we hit the coast, the waves were really acting up. So we stopped!

At Rode A Point. Don't believe me? Check the signs.

Now these pictures just DO NOT do the size of these waves justice. I have a great video, but haven't figured out where to put it/upload it yet. I barely figured out how to do these pics (It's a time thing, not a technology thing. At least, I hope so, I get paid to know how to do, what do you call it, manage software Q A? )

This wave already had to come up about 20+ feet to even get to the top of the rock it was exploding over. Look at those midgets on the right!

People brought lawn chairs to watch the spectacle. It was a weekday, they were mostly retirees, so none seemed particularly pictureworthy. No, I'm not shallow. Honest!

The rock under the wave was taller than a house.

before

After

I think we were here around 45 minutes to an hour, just in awe.

Riding along the coast speaks for itself.

Chow break! check out the view from Izzy's. Izzy's is a budget all-you-can-eat buffet. Great view though.

Aha! The foreshadowed fix for the Husky seat-of-steel! Or is it?

Kush makes this little pillow (umlaat over the u), and it's very soft, and very cuddly, and feels like it would be a GREAT, FANTASTIC choice.

Unfortunately, after 5 minutes of sitting on it on a motorcycle, the vibration packs those little contents into something with the consistency of iron and it's no better than the Husky's own seat.

As soon as you stand and sit down, it's soft again. for about 5 minutes. My quads aren't strong enough to do that for an extended period.

No matter, it was left on for the duration, and is still on today, 4 months after this trip ended. I get lots of comments. Again, I cannot be emarrassed.

Shortly after this, Drrags parted company and went onto his engagement 1/2 way back UP the coast.

later!

Many, many years ago, in a galaxy far, far away, drrags turned me onto bikes, and riding long distances, and BMWs. Great guy, glad he came along for the ride, we were sad to see him go.

He commented that we'd made pretty good progress (he must've forgotten who he was talking to). I looked at my odometer, and said "When has 300 paved miles in a day EVER been good?" and laughed. We stopped a lot and saw cool things, and I can often be about the miles (which I enjoy immensely) and not the side stops available on that trip. Gotta learn to slow down and stop being so objective-driven.

That's the nice thing about Drrags and my brother. They look to the sides. Lots of these pictures wouldn't have happened without them.

One time I was in S. AZ on 95 headed N and was getting gas on a nice 98 degree day, me and Zoot covered in bugs (I know, on a hot day!). An older couple on their Harleys rode up, and he came over to chat. At one point, he asked how far I'd ridden that day, it was just after 1pm. I checked my speedo, did the math, and told him a little over 700 miles. "You hear that, Ethel! This guy rode more miles this morning than we ride in a MONTH!" Until then, I was impatient to go. I think I have 40 pictures from that trip, almost 2500 miles. Ooops, there I was getting all goal-driven again. Gotta stop and meet the people, see the land.

Sigh. Hope I can pass what drrags and my brother have onto my children. It's about the trip AND the destination...

With that in mind, I just realized I'm getting all goal-driven (get the report written, get the report written, get the report written). Sleep? That's for some other day, right?

Just before this, we sped through the town (ahem, 10 over). We saw the officer before he saw us, AND he didn't have his radar on. I was in utter SHOCK.

Over this hill is the ocean. I don't know why I know.

How's this for some nice sunsets?

Yes, these are copyright us! No stealy!

We made it to Gold Beach where I took one of the best pictures of my life and didn't realize it until after I got home and was looking at thumbnails.

10 minutes earlier and the light would have been so much better

Fooooood!

The view from our room the next morning. This time of year April/May, Gold's Beach is very affordable

Unfortunately, the deep end is right by our bank (the other side is inches deep), and all the water traffic comes by. We needed to be up anyways.

Right?

Me taking a picture

And having my picture taken at the same time

Yes, the R has ThrottleMeisters. I love the way they look, but I rarely use them. Except to take pictures, relax the knot in my right shoulder, or let my arm hang after 10 hours in the saddle.

Uhhh, yeah. Ok, then.

Hmm, let's take this turn off 101 and not take a picture of the sign. Spanish something or other point.

Lessgo right? Or left? hmmm

I WISH this picture would fractionally do justice to what it looked like in person instead of through the lense of a camera. The cameras (both did the same thing, one's a Kodak, the other a nice Canon) have dramatically increased the fog content. It's a real bummer.

At max zoom, you begin to see what the last photo doesn't show, but the naked eye did.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
edeslaur OP
San Diegan

See the doggy? It was cold.

The Husky is now coming due for an oil change, so we're looking for bike shops open on a Saturday morning. I have a filter and crush washer with me, but I need oil.

We find a Ford/Kawasaki dealer (I'm not making this up) in Brookings, and I get a couple quarts of Kawi synthetic. The guys are *very* helpful with my proposed oil change.

Now there's a funny story around the oil change, but it casts a light that might make some people look bad, so let's just say that a funny thing happened while changing the oil and that no animals were harmed in the making of the film. And you probably can't change your own oil there anymore.

This is the story I can relay. You Husky TE610 owners, pay attention!

So the Husky dealer has sent me a filter and a crush washer in case I goober the other one.

I pull the drain plug, and voila - 1/4 of a quart comes out.

I hold the bike upright. Nada.

The counter guy looks at me with THAT look. Yeah, that one.

"Uhhh, I Just checked the oil this morning, it was in the sight glass"

Still with the look. It's the look I'd be trying not to give me right now, no question about it. Well, there's nothing I can do, so I pull the oil filter out. The metal seperated from the element, and the spring is free. OK, Husqvarna factory filters may not be the best, but no harm done.

I put the replacement filter in, add a little oil, and seal up the oil filter housing. Put the drain plug back in, and pull the oil filler cap.

Just as I'm about to add oil, I find the sight glass to make sure I don't overfill and ... Whaaa? the oil level is still OK? WTF?

I breathe a sigh of relief, and proclaim my lack of stupidity to the world. I'm still getting the look (of course).

Hey, now HOW do you get the oil out? The skidplate is aftermarket and for this model, but there's no other drain plug. Just this one bolt the plate covers, but it's tiny (10mm), that couldn't be it. WTF?

It's early and the manuals are in a box on a truck headed to my house in SoCal. That won't help. What to do, what to do...

I KNOW! I call the dealer in Indiana (!!), Hall's Cycle, I bought the tank, filter, crush washer, and sundries from to ask them. The same parts guy I ordered the stuff from answers, but he's at a loss too.

That's not good.

They redirect me to Jack in Service. He very kindly explains that an oil change on the Husky requires changing the screen. There's a screen? He directs me to it in the side of the case below the shifter, and I hang up feeling 1,000% better.

I pull the two bolts, and out pops two screen tubes, one coarse, one fine. Even better, I get the rest of the oil!!!

The looks disappear to be replaced with nods. Sweet! The screens aren't bad for a first oil change. I put the screen in and start to screw in the bolts.

and I fill the crank, check the level, and pack up. Whee!!!!

After the oil change, it's off to a delicious breakfast across the street. I love my country fried steak, eggs over easy (got the rest yet?)...

We mount up and head back on the road.

Whoo-Hoo, Cali-Forn-I-A, here we BE!

Who is that behind me? He KEEPS following me!

Ha-HA! See if you can keep up, you!

Not really, the Husky's not broked in yet, so we're staying around 70ish.

Where has he passed me and why is he waving madly at me to pull over?

This doesn't look good for a reason.
Is that a bottle of oil I see on the ground?

At least we're near the beach. Right?

Very happily, my brother noticed the oil pressure indicator come on (you know, the oil can with the drip - the same one my BMW has) so he rocketed past me (?!) and waved me down.

So now I'm going over the oil change details. I used to work on cars, engine rebuilds, rear ends, cams, whatever. I'm not a slouch.

See if YOU can figure it out.

We've come about 20 miles
The bike runs great, seems just the same as ever
Oil level is good
Oil seems to be sloshing around in the sight glass when the engine is runnning.
The oil pressure indicator is on when the key is on.

I have no idea and am plain stumped. I *know* I did everything right, this was just not a hard thing.

At this point, my brother asks "Now what?"
I swear, it's the miles, not the years. Because I look at him and say "Well, the plan ended, so the adventure must be beginning!" and I laugh.

This is just so not a big deal compared to some things that have happened in my life. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but it is what it is.

I finally succumb and call my preferred dealer (will be my dealer) in SoCal. I walk through the symptoms and what's happening. No joy.

I go back through the steps I did yet again with myself. Pull the drain plug, filter, screens only fit one way and no way they're blocking anything. I had even compared filters to make sure. WTF!!!?!

Figure it out yet? Why not, you have all the info I had!

I call Jack at Hall's again, and apologize profusely for bothering him yet again.

I explain the problem and he starts to laugh.

Husky dudes and dudettes, PAY ATTENTION.

The LCD indicator that looks EXACTLY like the LOW PRESSURE warning icon on every other vehicle in mankind (like the BMW parked right next to it in the picture below) is the oil *CHANGE* indicator. No, not a wrench, the oil drip can with the drop coming out of it. Phreeooooowww!

I wanted to remember this place

On the Road again! (Willy Nelson style, sing it with me!)

The R with regular lids is not the best looking bike from the back... A little hippy. With city lids, it looks sharp, though. But that's not conducive to a multi-day journey.

I feel like I'm getting smaller...

Ayup, definitely smaller

HEY! The bathrooms right behind the tree in the pic above!!!

J/K, he was looking at the note on the windshield!

She looka good, eh? And isasum big tree. And isa small version of sum big tree...

When riding with the camera around your neck, bugs and road crap can jam the doors over the lens

Break time!

My, what deep tracks you have!

Ru-roh!

For those of you who don't know, 4wd does not make you invincible. You can still slide in the wet or snow or ice.

4wd allows you to get unstuck when you're in 2wd. And go far enough to really get screwed.

Don't go downhill in the sand, 'cause you're probably not going to get back up the hill. Especially when it's wet and coarse. And you left your low profile street tires at street pressure.

This Grand Cherokee has Quadra Drive (all 4 wheels drive, unlike almost all other 4x4s). You can tell from the shot because all 4 wheels are sunk an equal amount. The guy digging brought the tow truck.

People watching the circus

Is the tide coming in?!

Aha, it begins to make sense!

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,812
It sure looks like a good time on 2 wheels, but not such a good time on 4 So, did the Jeep get rescued before the tide came in?

thanks for the great report and pics
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
edeslaur OP
San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
It sure looks like a good time on 2 wheels, but not such a good time on 4 So, did the Jeep get rescued before the tide came in?
I've been in Mexico when the answer's "No" In this case, very likely, but they were taking too long and it was eating into the time we had left before it got dark, so we took off.

The headlight on the Husky kinda mandated not riding at night.

Someone compared the stocker to a Mag lite and I agree (my 3D model). it's a 35w/35W. but the bike provides soooo much value for the $$ that I have no problems shelling out for a different light. Brembo brakes, Marzocchi forks, Excel wheels. Stock. Really.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 08-12-2007 at 08:11 AM
Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
edeslaur OP
San Diegan

I know people who've driven through deer on their BMWs and didn't even go down.

We have one-upped them. We drove through trees. Really!

Does it get any better? Heck yeah! Bring on the curves!!! (they're coming!)

Ah, past Ferndale and out towards Petrolia in the California Lost Coast. Isn't the western-most saloon on the continental US out here somewhere?

This is Mattole road.

Note to self - next time, fill up before going into the Lost Coast. There are towns, but we didn't find the gas stations...

The next pictures are from the bridge S of the hard left (if you're going S). The bridge is one lane. The wind blows a continually. And we're still wearing our jackets for a reason.

And I can't believe there's a house out here. WOW!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...wloc=addr&om=1

The sense of isolation is magnificent. I stood still for about 10 minutes and let the wind course over me as I tried to absorb the tranquility, the starkness. It was magnificent.

But not something I want to experience on a continual basis.

It's a boat... right?

Check that grass bend

About 20 minutes later, a horde of Goldwings were headed North.

Yaaay, we're in Petrolia! Wow, that church looks kinda neat in the distance

Turns out it needs a coat of paint, but still a quaint town.

The bridge

The road is technical. In this case "Technical" means no guard rails, no painted lines, 1.5 lanes wide, tight turns, blind corners, bumps, potholes,
root-heaves, and cattle (though none were on the roadway when we went
through, there is nothing to prevent them from going there in many
places).

The Husky didn't complain, but the R did a couple of times. Fortunately, no bent wheels! Whee!

The route drops you into an amazingly quiet, serene part of the redwoods.

At this point, the R was getting empty. And no gas in sight. Uhhhh...

Cooooool

Break time! That's code for "Time to look at a map, Double Yellow, she needs gasolina!"

A runner came by, which raised my hopes. He told us that gas was still about 25 miles out. Ouch! I was hoping he lived near there, but best we could tell, he drove out 20+ miles to go run in the redwoods on a paved road. OK, then.

Most of these pics didn't turn out, dark or blurry from BOTH cameras. There must be aliens near here.

Here's a couple of the few good ones

"Small" tree

Standing on a downed redwood

As I said, be sure you start this loop with a full tank. The R1100S had 205.6 miles by the time we got gas (we bypassed a possible around 180 miles since it was 87 octane only), a new record for that bike. At 130 - 140, the light usually comes on indicating 1 gallon left. I have yet to pull over low 40s on it.

I figured, whatahey. When that happens, and the light's been on for over 50 miles, and the light comes one when you have 1 gallon left, you do start wondering if 87 octane will work well enough (it will, I'm just stubborn)...

We were at the point where I was gonna run out and send my brother ahead. The beauty of the see-through tank - he had about a gallon left and I was on fumes.

Throughout the trip, I used the Husky's tank to judge how much the R-S had left since R-S' don't have fuel gauges. And then one more corner and there was gas.

Good!!! I was sick of doing 45-50 and moving my hand at a glacial
pace. Bring on the Hammer!

When I filled up, I put in more than they say it takes. Whew!! (or I got ripped).

I'm SOOOOO glad I put the IMS tank on the Husky before riding it down.
From 3.4 to slightly over 5 gallons, 250+ mile range with trail gearing. Whee!

To be honest, I don't recall if there's a gas station in Ferndale. I didn't think I'd need it. Google doesn't think so. (Gasoline near ferndale, ca)

Whuzzat?!

Anudder tree!
This one is taking the definition of tree a little loosely

It ends here:

And is held up with cables. The signs indicate only about 25% of the remnants are alive. Man, this tree has grit!

The cutover to 1 at Leggett is unbelievably technical at the right speeds. What a ride!

Man, that Husky is FAST! I thought I was on the sportbike!

Catching him!

Nope!

I wish I had a better camera. Or maybe I should have slowed down?

Nah, better camera... Check the lean, though...

Someone has got to learn how to keep up...

Just a few miles before the curve in this picture, I had a *serious* moment on the R. This was one of the more serious moments I've had in years. I was not pleased.

The road S-es away beautifully with beautiful camber, and I decided to cut across the hump as I was passing a truck. As the R rode down the camber and then crested the hump, the a$$-end bottomed out hard and then pogo'd up pretty darn high.

Remember, I'm a dirt-biker, it's OK if the a$$ comes up a little off a bump.

Let's just say, that just about ruined my whole freakin' day. For the rest of the day, I rode like a newborn, which sux because those roads are amazing in that section.

Now I've ridden this road more than several times on Zoot and had never had this type of issue, with more crap than I had on Double Yellow. Turns out the Ohlins were set way soft on compression and rebound (preload was maxed). AND, I later learned, Ohlins springs are set up for your weight and have a very narrow weight band.

The spring the R-S came with is a 170, I weigh 260 with gear, and probably had another 90# of crap (very pessimistic, it's all clothes). Grossly overweight for that spring.

For the 170, this means that if I weighed 170 with gear, with preload maxed, SMWBO better not weigh more than 130ish with gear to even be close to retaining good manners. Luggage? Yeah, that's not going to happen, now is it?

So, what I learned about Ohlins on the R1100S (other bikes vary) is I can EITHER pack SWMBO OR gear, but not both with the Ohlins spring for me. My choice is to get a heavier Ohlins spring rate, suck it up, go back to stock, or see if another shock mfgr supports my needs (unlikely on the R-S, it's not really intended for 2-up like, say, the R-RT).

I still haven't decided, but I've only been commuting, so I'm not unhappy with the preload maxed (the front is a bit soft, but more adjustable).

Now. But it took a few months to get over it and to be able to trust the bike again.

I learned a lot about owning and buying aftermarket motorcycle suspensions, and I'm not sure that Ohlins are right for my needs. Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic, but the weight range I need is much greater than they offer, and several of their techs concur (I didn't believe the first two).

Before buying aftermarket suspension, sure to ask the right questions. I had to make them do the math on the spring compression/inch vs leverage from the rear swingarm to come up with how we'd be undersprung even as a couple.

And if you're buying off eBay? Plan on buying a pair of springs!

For instance, I take my M3 to the track and I kick Vette a$$. But during the week, I pack my kids in it and we drive in heavy traffic to school, or I go to Costco and get $400 worth of stuff for our family of five.

I had that level of versatility with Zoot (a K1200RS), but I do not with Double Yellow (R1100S).

Here started my disillusion with a bike and good looks. I love form, but function is my top priority (Just watch the Paris Hilton video to figure out which you are. She's hot to look at, but a cold fish).

The honeymoon was over.

But the trip still had more fantastic things to present.

Getting closet to Fort Bragg

Can you see the house?

We stayed the night in Fort Bragg. Maybe we stayed in the wrong place, but we left the next day, both of happy to put the town behind us. It was weird. Maybe it's the aliens again.

Out of nowhere, a copse to drive through

And what should loom from the gloom? It's big and orange! But not a KTM!

My foot only looks like it's touching the ground.

See?!

At the next stoplight, after the toll booths, I asked my brother if he was comfortable splitting at lights when the cars were stopped. He was willing to try it.

I almost found out the hard way how much wider the R-S is than Zoot was, even with bags. Those must be the extra-spacious lids.

He did great, and was amazed at how easy it was, how safe he felt, and how much time we saved. He's a convert!

Lighthouse!

Peanut?

Cell phone use is causing riders to crash. They hold it with their left hand, need to brake hard with their right, as their weight shifts forward, their right hand pushes the bars left (can't drop the cell phone!) and KaBoom!, down they go, usually to their deaths. IMBWR is having a discussion about this issue right now.

Here's an alternative way to use your cell phone. Notice that he's still holding onto the wall even though he's not going anywhere. Safety first!

Close up

The Husky finally succumbs to the known issue of the exhaust, esp aftermarket ones, causing the lens to warp and fall off. A piece of copper wire nearby and my Leatherman, and we're good for the next 500 miles (or more, I'm notoriously slow in fixing hacks that aren't mission critical!)

Third accident this trip

Yaaaaay! We made it. Kicking back in the kitchen.

I pulled an all-nighter, but it was well worth it!!!

Hope you enjoyed it!

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!