User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,570
Question Tripmaster switch on an SE

Has anyone else actually fitted and got a tripmaster switch completely functional on an SE?

I have fitted one and the mode button works fine, the lower button works fine on trip 2 to reduce the reading but the upper button refuses to do anything. After looking through manuals and with help from Autostream on the mobile while looking at his setup on the adventure it all appears to be wired correctly.

Pin 12 on the speedo just does not do anything. If I earth out pin thirteen it moves the trip 2 display counting down. Nothing I do seems to make it count up.

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
If I remember the switch on mine correctly the single button changes the mode, the other two are used to advance or decrement the trip 2 odometer and thats it.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Seth your memory is faultless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
If I remember the switch on mine correctly the single button changes the mode, the other two are used to advance or decrement the trip 2 odometer and thats it.
...but my switch is with fault and this is why I asked the question, I know how it is supposed to work, but it does not.

What I need to know is there someone who has successfully wired in a tripmaster switch on the SE? Did it work properly? Do you have an SE Seth and is your switch working as per your memory of it?

Cheers
Pilbara
Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Sorry, just trying to be helpful, guess I didnt understand your question. I have the adventure. I thought you were implying that the second switch had a range of other amazing functions. I was merely pointing out that it did one thing only...guess I read it into your post that you had it working...versus not working at all. Seems kind of odd that it would not work. You would think it would be the exact same computer...would not make sense to come up with a new computer...at least not from a cost of manufacturing stand point.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Motobee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
KTM uses the same instrument cluster (#61014069000) for the 950 ADV/SE/SM, 990ADV and 06 990SD. So theoretically the tripmaster switch should work fine if wired correctly.

The cluster wiring on the 950ADV is virtually the same as the 950SE, except KTM shows the speedometer input to the cluster (black/orange wire) to be pin#14 on the ADV, on the SE it is pin#16

On the 950 ADV the multifunction switch is wired like this:
Pin#11 yellow/brown
Pin#12 yellow
Pin#13 green/red

The '06 Superduke and the 990 ADV use pin#12 for the coolant temp. input, instead of pin#19, which is used on all of the carbed bikes. So the 990ADV can't use pin#12 for the multifunction switch.

The 990 ADV multifunction switch is wired as follows:
Pin#11 yellow/brown
Pin#13 yellow
Pin#14 red/green

You might find someone with a 950 Adventure to check the cluster wiring to see if it is actually the same as the wiring diagram. If it is, you might try swapping the speedometer input to pin#14, and then wire the multifunction switch to pins#11,12,13.

Otherwise, you could try the 990ADV multifunction switch wiring of pins#11,13,14.

I don't know how KTM can wire the same cluster so differently, maybe there are typo's in the wiring diagrams, so it might be good to have some people look at their bikes to see how they are actually wired.
Motobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Thanks Motobee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobee
KTM uses the same instrument cluster (#61014069000) for the 950 ADV/SE/SM, 990ADV and 06 990SD. So theoretically the tripmaster switch should work fine if wired correctly.

The cluster wiring on the 950ADV is virtually the same as the 950SE, except KTM shows the speedometer input to the cluster (black/orange wire) to be pin#14 on the ADV, on the SE it is pin#16

On the 950 ADV the multifunction switch is wired like this:
Pin#11 yellow/brown
Pin#12 yellow
Pin#13 green/red

The '06 Superduke and the 990 ADV use pin#12 for the coolant temp. input, instead of pin#19, which is used on all of the carbed bikes. So the 990ADV can't use pin#12 for the multifunction switch.

The 990 ADV multifunction switch is wired as follows:
Pin#11 yellow/brown
Pin#13 yellow
Pin#14 red/green

You might find someone with a 950 Adventure to check the cluster wiring to see if it is actually the same as the wiring diagram. If it is, you might try swapping the speedometer input to pin#14, and then wire the multifunction switch to pins#11,12,13.

Otherwise, you could try the 990ADV multifunction switch wiring of pins#11,13,14.

I don't know how KTM can wire the same cluster so differently, maybe there are typo's in the wiring diagrams, so it might be good to have some people look at their bikes to see how they are actually wired.
I will try shorting pin 14 to ground and see if it moves the trip 2 up. Pin 13 shorted to ground certainly works for moving it down. Pin 12 does nothing.

I am surprised by the difference in connections of what seems to be an identical part. Must be some smarts in there to configure it eh?

Cheers
Pilbara