User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
ihavemanyfleas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Heading to NZ... advice

I'm looking for a place to rent a bike when I'm there. Any ideas?
Also, are there any must see places I need to hit while I'm there? I will be there in late Oct.
ihavemanyfleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:19 AM   #2
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Touring Nz

Google Motorcyle Rental New Zealand. There Are A Few Here But I Live Here So I Dont Need To Rent Them!! There Is A Book Called The New Zealand Motocycle Atlas Which Has All The Road Maps In It Plus All The Best Motorcyle Roads With A Rating. It Depends On Where You Fly Into And How Long You Have. The South Island Is Sensational With A Huge Variety Of Country Side. However Weather May Be Hit And Miss In October. The North Island Has Some Neat Country Side Also But Is More Populated And Not As Many Mountains. Just Get Out Of Auckland And Head Off The Main Highways. If You Are Into Gravel Roads We Have Heaps Of Them Through Some Really Neat Remote Country. Bring Wet Weather Gear As October Can Have A Lot Of Showery Weather. Enjoy !!
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Oddometer: 5,053
I will also be there the week of Oct 15th and am thinking about renting a bike for a few days. I have meetings in Auckland. Would love to go to Queenstown, but time and money may be an issue.

I am assuming that I would be ok touring solo, any additional info would be appreciated...

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.

SmugMug Coupon: guwbixLxjaoTI
Save $5! I did!
GSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
peach
Peach

Oddometer: 62
http://www.motorcyclesnewzealand.co.nz/default.asp

These guys are excellent and have BMW GS 650 and 1200's!

Tell them Paul K recommended you too...
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGIRL
I will also be there the week of Oct 15th and am thinking about renting a bike for a few days. I have meetings in Auckland. Would love to go to Queenstown, but time and money may be an issue.

I am assuming that I would be ok touring solo, any additional info would be appreciated...
You'll be fine travelling solo. If you're short on time, either a few days north of Auckland - Bay of Islands, The Kauri Forests, Cape Reinga - makes for a great ride, or a couple of days around the Coromandel Peninsula is also good & within easy range of Auckland. the distances aren't huge in NZ, so a NZ$100/day XT600 or similar is all you need if you don't want to spend $250/day on a GS12.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
You'll be fine travelling solo. If you're short on time, either a few days north of Auckland - Bay of Islands, The Kauri Forests, Cape Reinga - makes for a great ride, or a couple of days around the Coromandel Peninsula is also good & within easy range of Auckland. the distances aren't huge in NZ, so a NZ$100/day XT600 or similar is all you need if you don't want to spend $250/day on a GS12.

Cheers
Clint
Thanks. I am trying to convince a friend to meet me in NZ. If he cannot make it, then I will considera bike for a couple of days out of Auckland. If I don't ride, I will go to Queenstown and trek around a bit.

If the riding does not come together, I won't be crushed. I just spent 12 days riding in Southern Africa. I am just looking forward to adding NZ to my list of places!

Save $5! I did!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Thanks. I am trying to convince a friend to meet me in NZ. If he cannot make it, then I will considera bike for a couple of days out of Auckland. If I don't ride, I will go to Queenstown and trek around a bit.

If the riding does not come together, I won't be crushed. I just spent 12 days riding in Southern Africa. I am just looking forward to adding NZ to my list of places!
Cool! There is a dirtbike tours company in Queenstown if you need a fix. A lot of the famous hiking trails around there may still be closed due to snow in October, so plan on checking out some of the lower level routes.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #8
susieshiner
maverick

Oddometer: 22
Quote:

Tick off the places you have motorcycled in?
Ever thought of taking the time to motorcycle tour and really experience the places, people and develop an understanding of a place. Twelve days in Southern Africa all sounds pretty rushed, maybe a lack of indepth experiences?
Just a thought....

susieshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:17 AM   #9
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:

oh, goodee, i jus' love it when 2 wommin have cat fght!

Hey GS, i understand that as a sdeasoned traveller you don't take crap or like assumptions made. still, s statement that " am just looking forward to adding NZ to my list of places" is pretty uppity, wouldn't you say?

without wishing to tread on yer toes, from my limited experience riding over nz i would say this:
1. there are some brilliant rides out of auckland (try east along the cape for e.g.).
2. queenstown is nice, but per se another tourist trap for the well healed or pretentious. so many nice spots in nz, unless of course it's the lattés and night life you're after;
3. the passion is 2 wheels adv. to tour sans wheels is not the same, something else, at east for me (and i assume susie). i think that's what susuie might have been trying to say.

so, gs gal, please, do tell us where you've travelled your favourite places and why. come on....
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:34 AM   #10
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:

Auckland to Queenstown in a few days would be almost impossible, especially if you have to get the bike back to Auckland. You could rent a bike in Duneden or Christchurch. But remember, some of the passes could possibly still be covered in snow at that time of year, it will be COLD

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
Auckland to Queenstown in a few days would be almost impossible, especially if you have to get the bike back to Auckland. You could rent a bike in Duneden or Christchurch. But remember, some of the passes could possibly still be covered in snow at that time of year, it will be COLD
I would not ride Auckland - > Queenstown. I would fly to Queenstown and just hang out sans bike

Save $5! I did!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:56 AM   #12
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
I would not ride Auckland - > Queenstown. I would fly to Queenstown and just hang out sans bike
Ye... Queenstown is a favorite place for many... I prefer Wanaka just up the road. I have climbed most of the peaks in NZ including Tasman, Cook and Aspiring and spent some down time in both Q'town and Wanaka. Earlier this year I rode around NZ for 4 weeks including a week with my 11yo daughter. Still didn't get to see everything of course so will be heading back real soon. Met some great Kiwi riders and forged lasting friendships.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #13
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,532
Quote:

There are a lot of options that would be suitable.

A ride North to Cape Rienga via the Bay of Islands and returning through the Kauri Forest.

A loop around the East Cape, taking in Gisborne and Napier. There are a number of gravel options.

A loop around Mt Egmont taking in the forgotten Highway and maybe the Wanganui River Road.

Each of those can be done in 3-4 days, less if you don't stop much.

There is a company near Auckland called Swiss Travel Rent, they have the most reasonable hire rates for bikes. They don't have the latest bikes, but I haven't heard any complaints. They'd pick you up if needed.

My wife and I will probably do the East Cape run on labour weekend, that's October 20 to 22.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:48 AM   #14
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavemanyfleas
I'm looking for a place to rent a bike when I'm there. Any ideas?
Also, are there any must see places I need to hit while I'm there? I will be there in late Oct.

Hi Fleas and GSG

http://www.motorcyclesnewzealand.co.nz/ in Christchurch

attention Mike Hyde and say Shane sent ya.

I used to run tours here in NZ for a US based company - happy to help with itineraries etc!

Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 AM   #15
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie

http://www.motorcyclesnewzealand.co.nz/ in Christchurch

attention Mike Hyde and say Shane sent ya.

I used to run tours here in NZ for a US based company - happy to help with itineraries etc!

Shane
G/day all

A big thanks to you Shane and Peach for recommending
http://www.motorcyclesnewzealand.co.nz/ in Christchurch.

I have decided to spend 3 weeks over X-mas/New Year checking out the South Isle.

I have booked a F650GS and Mike has no problems with me doing as much dirt riding as I can.
He seems very helpful and said he will take the time when I collect the bike, to show me the besat back roads etc to see.

I would be very grateful Shane of any suggections you recommend.
(and anyone else for that matter)
I'm travelling solo, will be bringing my camping/cooking gear and will also be staying in pubs/caravan parks/motels.

I'm slighty familar with Christchurch and the South Isle. Spent 8 days mainly in a hire car a couple of years ago, but did manage to ride a mates 950S on the Rainbow track out of Hanmer Springs.

I enjoy good food, good wines/beers and good scenic dirt roads.

Now I have to start planning, especially want to do the Passes ride some of you people did earlier this year (Feb? 5day ride?)

Cheers

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote