User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 541
Detroit to San Diego, Zen and the art of motorcycle negligence,

First off I would like to thank all the people at advrider for making me feel like there was a group I fit in. I was an Indian without a tribe, a soldier without an army, a dork without a marching band (relax I was in band I can say that).

THE BIG IDEA:

The Set Up

I am a middle aged man who sits in a cubicle. I design car parts. I have done it long enough to see the parts that where so important to the suits (management) that they made me miss a large part of my childrens lives, end up, rusty, powering crystal meth addicts around the mean streets of New Jersey on reruns of COPS. In short, I have put the whole thing in perspective. I spend 51 weeks per year scheming about next excellent adventure.

My history, I presume is shared by most people on this forum. My mother begrudgingly let me have a 3 hp mini bike when I was 11. She claimed it was like marijuana in that it was an entry drug. I thought she was crazy, she wasn’t, I have ridden nearly every piece of crap motorcycle that would start over the last 38 years. I have always wondered “what’s over there?”

Thanks to an understanding wife, I was able over the years, to pilot my assorted and sundry hunks of crap motorcycles throughout 46* of the contiguous United States with a vibrant assortment of good hearted ne’er do wells.

Having conquered most of the United States I began to notice a pattern forming, as my real life only allows one week of absence every other year or so I would ride like hell for 3 days away from home, go to as many states as I could, slowly wistfully turn around put my tail between my legs and ride home. This turned the last half of every vacation/adventure into a very long commute to a job that I have long since lost my enthusiasm for.

This summer as I plotted my next exit scenario I stumbled upon “The Big Idea”.
Instead of running out to the end of my leash, jerking up short and dejectedly heading back to the doghouse I figured out a way to double the leash and finally bite the mailman. I WOULDN’T TURN AROUND.

I would go straight out for my whole vacation and abandon my recent nearly used up rat bike and fly home.

To add an element of excitement to the trip my 13 year old son (drifter) expressed an interest in tagging along.

Aye Karumba!

*Rhode Island and Delaware remain elusive dreams, no real compelling interest in either except that George Thorogood and the Destroyers are from Delaware. What gnaws at me is that I know that information but still occasionally spell my wife’s name wrong.
The Trip

Detroit to San Diego
San Diego was a logical destination as it was the farthest I could get from Detroit and I have in-laws there that could help facilitate. The theory being if I could leave the bike at the in-law’s pole barn I could return next year and continue the trip maybe down to Costa Rica, maybe cruise across central Mexico and pop back out into Texas and re abandon the bike or maybe take the Missus up to Seattle. The world is my oyster.

The Bike

My weapon of choice is my beloved Honda PC800. It was Hondas answer to a question no one in the 1990s was asking. It is a pretty dang good all round bike with a copious amount of luggage and as reliable as the monkey bars at school. The only draw back is that if you have any more testosterone than Pee Wee Herman you may be embarrassed to be seen on it. It has followed the path of my last few bikes general neglect and a flair for the practical use of cable ties, dry wall screws and duct tape has created a monster.

Note:

Lawn mower handle/barbeque legs luggage rack
Lowes $19 toolbox luggage
Bus turn signals
Pine stick lid prop

For those interested Drifters account is at

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289782

Bless his pea pickin heart

vermin screwed with this post 12-16-2007 at 10:52 AM
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
Bad Company
Don't call me Shirley

Oddometer: 1,300
This thread has promise. I predict two run ins with the law, three maxed out credit cards, and I'll give even odds that the 13 year old winds up with a tattoo leaving the op on the couch for a month.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,935
This should be good.

Another Detroiter's story of escape. I made the break 20 years ago, go back once a year, and that's enough.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
You guys don't know what you're in for!

Here's a pic of the Tupperware Torpedo in all its glory this time last year at Deal's Gap:

There is absolutely no reason that bike should still be running. Honda should buy this bike back just to do a teardown.

-Tom
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,554
Roll the Pacific Coast gypsy wagon

Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

the posse

The Players Left to right

Big Bad Biker Buddy Bruce- Human GPS. A long term buddy who can always be counted on to roll I mean ROLL. Distance is nothing but math to Bruce. We started riding dirt bikes together in the mid seventies so we have history. Now he is riding Electra Glide number 4 he puts 100k on them and buys another one. I bought my first motorcycle off him in 1974 (TS250 Suzuki). We have hit most of the states together. Rock solid riding buddy and all around guy.

Drifter- my 13 year old son wants to grow up to be a writer so I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to flash some cool sights, smells, feelings past the boy to create fodder for his fertile imagination. It was his last week before school starts and a trip like this is just what he might need to help him stare out the window and let his mind wander for the next 9 months while his grades falter. I have no small amount of personal experience with this.

Chip- Next gen. excellent adventurer. Neighbor of Bruce’s as a child, turned ‘hey Bruce watch this” into an early reality series. Has been a reliable co conspirator since the early 90’s. He is rolling on a 1985 E-Glide (Bruce’s number 2 AKA Blue) that he has resurrected from a rusting rattle canned barn ornament status to a new looking and running touring bike. Most impressive feat to date was 4,000 mile tour to the 4 corners on a Suzahamasocki impaler (250lb man, deli sandwich sized seat). Will go anywhere and do any thing on a moments notice. I have known him for 10+ years and never knew his real name or needed to until last year.

ME- AKA Vermin, behind the camera, grumpy middle age man since birth according to my wife.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #7
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,596
Out-frak'n-standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8APEX

Here's a pic of the Tupperware Torpedo in all its glory this time last year at Deal's Gap:

There is absolutely no reason that bike should still be running. Honda should buy this bike back just to do a teardown.

-Tom

Great report!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #8
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

grammer

I have been informed that I confuse the words where and were using them inappropriately. I apologize. I have calcified arteries in the region of the brain that remembers that and I can't relearn it. Please forgive me.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8APEX

-Tom

Can''t believe I missed this the 1st time around!

FWIW, that pic is saved in my favorites.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Thumb

Thanks for posting the "required reading" link For once I followed instructions and am glad of it. Great report! I really like your style and you certainly have a way with words.

Onward to the next installment...thanks for taking the time & if you ever pass through Paducah again the beer's on me.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Just great. Glad this found it's way back up. Well done, sir.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,571
The images need to be linked to a picture hosting site. This site no longer allows direct downloading.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

cackaphonic updayt

Cack is still motoring around the countryside. I tried to fix the stator and only caused a oil leak. So now I don't change the oil I just add it.

Looking at the pictures Boulderbeemerguy put on the site i was gobsmacked by how much shittier the bike has become in the ensuing 5 years.

I recently did a circumcision of lake michigan with a band of ne'er do wells and ended up in Manitowac Wisc. The thing ran like a top for the whole twelve hundred miles. My posse now informs me that the bike has added "stink" to its many attributes. My buddy rotney claims he can smell it at 75mph on the freeway a half a mile back.

Chicks dig Cack

The guy on the right is Secret Asian Man. Nobody knew his story till the Cack pried it out of him. Come to find out his mom and dad fled the Khmer Rouge and had two sisters die in the jungle. One of lead poisoning during an ambush and one of mumps. The guy on the left was a retired paint wholesaler from Peoria. Blondie and Dagwood signing the bike kept to themselves.
If you are ever in Manitowoc Wisconsin there is no tavern finer then the "Shoot the Bull".

Can you find the cacktrunk in this picture.

Cack moved out west

Cack puts the color in colorado
Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Are those from angina jollies one woman show?

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Uhmerikan engine-uity

FUCK YEAH!

JJ

WingMakers.com