ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
papihijo OP
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 8
Laugh Versys vs F650gs

hi, I am looking to buy one of these two bikes, will do must street and longtrip riding, no offroad. come from a honda backround back home XL250cc...but in the US seems like 250s are too small. Honda does not offer anything like this except for the 919....(I like it but not so sure about riding position for long trips). Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated. Glad I found this site! will see you around.
papihijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by papihijo
hi, I am looking to buy one of these two bikes, will do must street and longtrip riding, no offroad. come from a honda backround back home XL250cc...but in the US seems like 250s are too small. Honda does not offer anything like this except for the 919....(I like it but not so sure about riding position for long trips). Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated. Glad I found this site! will see you around.
If you're going road only, the Versys would be the way to go. The Fgs is a great bike, but it's a thumper. With thumpers come vibrations - that you're willing to accept if you need one bike to do everything, but why bother if your riding is to be road only.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Jutta
Into the remote places
 
Jutta's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Logan, Australia
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
If you're going road only, the Versys would be the way to go. The Fgs is a great bike, but it's a thumper. With thumpers come vibrations - that you're willing to accept if you need one bike to do everything, but why bother if your riding is to be road only.
I have ridden 50,000ks on my twin spark Dakar. I wish to make it clear that it does not vibrate and is a comfortable long distance all roads tourer. Here's the good and the bad.

Good

Powerful, reliable, smooth and economical motor
Great handling
Comfortable
Great styling
ABS

Bad

Too heavy
Routine servicing is a pain
notchy gear box
no helmet lock
indicators not flexible
Jutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante
 
Gustavo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sometimes in Hillsburrito
Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutta
I wish to make it clear that it does not vibrate and is a comfortable long distance all roads tourer.
Everything is relative and also biased based on what you are comparing it to...


Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:17 AM   #5
Jutta
Into the remote places
 
Jutta's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Logan, Australia
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
Everything is relative and also biased based on what you are comparing it to...


Gustavo
Compared to other dual purpose 650s .

Would you have expected me to compare it with an R1?
Jutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante
 
Gustavo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sometimes in Hillsburrito
Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutta
Would you have expected me to compare it with an R1?
A Versys? I thought that was the question...


Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
Everything is relative and also biased based on what you are comparing it to...


Gustavo
Agreed. My wife's F650gs (2001) puts my hands to sleep in the exact short period of time and distance as my KLR650 does. She says she feels no vibrations on her Fgs and would be willing to ride the bike to the moon. A friend of mine says my KLR650 has the least vibrations of any KLR he's ridden, but it puts my hands to sleep. Different people, different frequencies, different affects from the bikes vibes.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
spanker
bada bing, capiche?
 
spanker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North Stonington, CT
Oddometer: 825
I just did a 5000 mile, 11-day TAT/asphalt ride on my 06 F650 GS. I agree with one of the posters here; it does not vibrate in a traditional, buzzy, make your hands numb sense. At 4500 RPM (75 mph with a 44T rear sproket), the bike likes it there. As with all D/S bikes, the GS is a compromise. I commute 100 miles a day on it and its perfect for that. 62-65 mpg, smooth, agile and competent. If you want to off-road, the trouble starts. The fat 19 in front tire does not belong off road and if you start loading up with camp gear, clothing etc. you'd better lower your expectations if you think you're going to do powerslides in the dirt. You will find yourself on your butt. BTW, the new '08 KLR has gained 50 lbs, the new Beemer 650 cross country has lost 50 lbs as compared to the GS, but also has lost 2 gallons of gas capacity, now only 3 gal's on board instead of 5.
__________________
2010 BMW R1200RT, a sweet scooter for my daily 100 mile commute.
'08 Husqvarna TE-610, sold
waiting till I retire to get a new adv bike. meanwhile........
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
papihijo OP
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 8
Thanks, so far so good for the versys. i think i will stay away from the BMW; the older style, and the extra money.....not worth it for me...... have not heard bad reviews except some people disliking the style....I particularly like it.

Hopefully will come back with my own reviews after my first ride....
papihijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #10
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante
 
Gustavo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sometimes in Hillsburrito
Oddometer: 2,289
Papi, there are several threads here with reviews of the Versys as well as on Road Warriors. And, if you read more, go to this site:

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op..._smf&Itemid=31



Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
papihijo OP
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
Papi, there are several threads here with reviews of the Versys as well as on Road Warriors. And, if you read more, go to this site:

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op..._smf&Itemid=31



Gustavo
Thanks, I have read the great one where you and pilot exchange reviews. I am just waiting for my dealer to get some in. how much did you pay for yours? the dealer is talking the usual crap that many people are waiting for it and that there are no discounts below the msrp....what do you think?
papihijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante
 
Gustavo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sometimes in Hillsburrito
Oddometer: 2,289
It depends where you are at. Yes, there is a lot of interest, and it didn't help that Kawasaki is slowly releasing the bikes (most dealers in my area didn't even order one initially, so only a few dealers got bikes in the first shipment that showed up around here). But, despite that, I got a bike at a nice discount (and a rear rack) from a dealer than only had one bike (and the only bike at that time in the Portland metro area).

In the last few days I have been getting calls from all the dealers that just got bikes in, so there are more bikes out there now.


Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
papihijo OP
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
It depends where you are at. Yes, there is a lot of interest, and it didn't help that Kawasaki is slowly releasing the bikes (most dealers in my area didn't even order one initially, so only a few dealers got bikes in the first shipment that showed up around here). But, despite that, I got a bike at a nice discount (and a rear rack) from a dealer than only had one bike (and the only bike at that time in the Portland metro area).

In the last few days I have been getting calls from all the dealers that just got bikes in, so there are more bikes out there now.


Gustavo
I am in Miami, FL. Around here only one dealer has it, it is an exclusive KAWA dealer, the other dealers some don't even know about the bike...there is a kawa dealer show this upcoming week...let's hope they get some more in...
papihijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer
 
ctfz1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 1,132
kAWI.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp
 
Jack Daniel's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Oddometer: 12,011
WTF, I know I already posted in this thread while it was in the cellar

"Buy The Kawi"

I guess the mods cleared out all the BS and took mine with it
__________________
Only he that has traveled the road knows where the holes are deep

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014