User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,925
Cool2 Husaberg Rallye bikes

While not the most obvious choice for a rallye bike platform Husabergs have been used as rallye bikes now for the last 10 years by a small group of riders scattered over the globe.............all of which have been attracted to the brand by the light weight, excellent handling and great power the Bergs have always produced.

What has held the brand back from becoming more prominent in rallyes has been the reliablity issues experienced and dubious quality control at the factory in the past.

That said, since the takeover by KTM and with the gradual development of the basic design platform, the current model Husabergs are now as reliable, if not more so, as any comparable enduro based machine and certainly make an excllent basis for use as a rallye bike.

I thought I would share you some photos of the various bikes that I have been able to find and some of the results they have obtained hence this thread.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Andrew Coaker 7th outright in UAE Desert Challenge 2000

"The race is the last round of the World Championship for International Cross Country Rallies. I hadn't competed in enough races to be a contender for the championship, but I did finish 7th Outright (out of 116 starters). I also finished 2nd in the Production Class.

I had some problems with fuel during the race which cost me some time, but the biggest disadvantage was the lack of top speed compared to the factory BMW bikes (Twin cyclinder's capabale of over 200km/hr) I was riding a 600cc Husaberg, which is a fantastic bike but the top speed in the sand is more like 160km/hr so I had my work cut out trying to stay anywhere near the factory guys."

These shots of Coake really show the Berg advantages of light weight, power and handling

Andrew Coaker beginning his racing career in Australia, competing in local and national endurance and motorcross events from the age of 12, in 2001 was considered one of the brightest rising stars on the International Rally scene.

Coaker began his rallying career in 1996 when he remodelled his Endurance style motorbike himself and set off to compete in the Australian Safari. Being the youngest entrant at only 23, he came through to finish the race, with virtually no assistance, and impressive 8th outright. He was first in his class and winning 2 special stages during the event.

After his triumph in this event, Coaker decided to tackle the international rally scene. In January of 1997, he moved to the UK to be closer to the action. Since then he has participated in 15 international rallies and numerous national events. His rapid progress led Coaker to enter the prestigious Paris-Dakar Rally in 1998. From the 187 bikes that entered the event, only 55 passed the finish line (29% of the starting line up). Coaker was amongst this 29%, crossing an impressive 23rd, and first privateer.

His success in "The World's Toughest Motorsport Event", inspired Swedish motorcycle firm "HUSABERG" to offer the young Australian a 3 year factory sponsored deal. His inaugural season with Husaberg was one of frustration and celebration. His riding ability proved to be amongst the best and despite posting many top 10 stage times, Coaker was hampered by mechanical problems during Husaberg’s development year. These early problems have since been resolved, and Coaker’s latest results have once again confirmed his status as a World Class Rally rider.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Andrew Coaker UAE Challenge Rallye 1999

Servicing by Olle Ohlsson Team Manager for the Husaberg rallye team.

Andrew with Christos Tassoulis the other team rider.

SafariBerg screwed with this post 01-11-2008 at 06:30 PM
SafariBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Rainer Fink - Rally Elchott 2005

A 2005 Husaberg 550

SafariBerg screwed with this post 01-11-2008 at 06:19 PM
SafariBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Rainer Fink - Rallye Elchott 2003

I finished the year 2003 with the championship title "International rallye amateur". This success surely was essentially affected by my 2003 HUSABERG FE501e. Stage to stage I rode with a nearly complete standard equipment without any problems.

An enormous advantage in the Sahara dunes is definately the small weight as well as the perfectly balanced power development of the HUSABERG. Especially in complicated and heavy to ride dune stages it´s miles away from the fat parts of other manufacturers.

In the hardest Sahara dune stages of the last "ElChott", with more than 40° C, the "BERG" ran like hell! Even after several loops (Don´t jump over dunes, if you´re not sure what is waiting behind….!) every part on the bike was OK. Daily change of airfilter, fresh oil after 3 days…that´s it!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Thumb Vincente Benedict - Rallye dos Sertoes 2007

Vincente rode a 2006 Husaberg 550 in the 2007 Rallye dos Sertoes, he was running strongly in the upper mid-field until a crash and injury on Day 5 put him out.