ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
P-nut OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Asheville
Oddometer: 75
DR650 Shock Rebuild

For those of you that are interested a friend has been developing a shock for the DR650. He is using the body and the spring of the stock shock. Everything else is new. It has compression, rebound, and ride height adjustments. I rode his bike last week and it was a huge improvement. I saw the biggest difference on washboards on gravel roads. I just removed my shock and we are going to rebuild it tomorrow night. He already has a completely new shock for the KLR and some Ducatis. We are going to take pictures of the whole thing. I may need some help posting them.
__________________
1996 DR 650
2006 S2R 1000
P-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
neepuk
Such a drag...
 
neepuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redstone, CO
Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-nut
For those of you that are interested a friend has been developing a shock for the DR650. He is using the body and the spring of the stock shock. Everything else is new. It has compression, rebound, and ride height adjustments. I rode his bike last week and it was a huge improvement. I saw the biggest difference on washboards on gravel roads. I just removed my shock and we are going to rebuild it tomorrow night. He already has a completely new shock for the KLR and some Ducatis. We are going to take pictures of the whole thing. I may need some help posting them.
Sounds cool. How much do you weigh? How are you using the stock spring with any success? Just seem to me that once a soft spring, always a soft spring... Try your new shock with a new spring too, unless you're very light.

Love to see those pix when you take them.
__________________
2014 KTM 150/200xc conversion 1993 BMW R100GS Paris Dakar 2001 BMW F650GS Dakar 1971 Yamaha CT-1 2007 Honda CRF150f 1977 Honda CT125 Chopper
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,256
I'm staying tuned to this one.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward
 
radguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: North East USA
Oddometer: 5,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
I'm staying tuned to this one.
Ditto...
__________________
________________________
Guzzis and Others...

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
DRinda505
I'm right behind you.
 
DRinda505's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Land Of Enchantment
Oddometer: 407
__________________
05 DR650....Yea I know.... but it was cheap, Couldn't afford the Trail 90 I wanted.
DRinda505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc
 
NC Rick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 598
It's less $$ than a poor condition Trail 90

I want one of those too1
__________________
Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc.
motocd.com
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
P-nut OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Asheville
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
Sounds cool. How much do you weigh? How are you using the stock spring with any success? Just seem to me that once a soft spring, always a soft spring... Try your new shock with a new spring too, unless you're very light.

Love to see those pix when you take them.
I weigh 175 lbs and the stock spring rate ( .470 kg/mm) is a little more than what is recommended (0.455 kg/mm)for my weight. I got these numbers from Race Tech's website. Keep in mind, I have already ridden a DR with this shock (using the stock spring). He was previously using the gold valve kit from Race Tech.
__________________
1996 DR 650
2006 S2R 1000
P-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
BurnieM
Nipple boy
 
BurnieM's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-nut
I weigh 175 lbs and the stock spring rate ( .470 kg/mm) is a little more than what is recommended (0.455 kg/mm)for my weight. I got these numbers from Race Tech's website. Keep in mind, I have already ridden a DR with this shock (using the stock spring). He was previously using the gold valve kit from Race Tech.
Are you sure that is right ?

They sound like the fork spring rates
.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:47 AM   #9
P-nut OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Asheville
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
Are you sure that is right ?

They sound like the fork spring rates
.
Your absolutely right. I checked again. 5.4 kg/mm is the measured stock and 5.32 kg/mm is the recommended spring.
__________________
1996 DR 650
2006 S2R 1000
P-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 AM   #10
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-nut
I weigh 175 lbs and the stock spring rate ( .470 kg/mm) is a little more than what is recommended (0.455 kg/mm)for my weight. I got these numbers from Race Tech's website. Keep in mind, I have already ridden a DR with this shock (using the stock spring). He was previously using the gold valve kit from Race Tech.
The stock spring rate is 6.5kg/mm for the rear shock.
Most of us in the 180lb range are using 7.6kg/mm rear.
0.47kg/mm is the recommended front spring rate for 180 odd lbs.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #11
P-nut OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Asheville
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
The stock spring rate is 6.5kg/mm for the rear shock.
Most of us in the 180lb range are using 7.6kg/mm rear.
0.47kg/mm is the recommended front spring rate for 180 odd lbs.
Can you direct me to where I can find these numbers. I've been looking at race tech's website.

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english
__________________
1996 DR 650
2006 S2R 1000

P-nut screwed with this post 01-15-2008 at 03:59 AM
P-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-nut
Can you direct me to where I can find these numbers. I've been looking at race tech's website.

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english
This was my e-mail from Jesse and when I went to the RaceTech site it came up with the same numbers.
I also wanted to see what weight you had to be to have them recommend the stock spring weight and it came out at 45kg

They must have changed the site as it now it comes up with your numbers above - Weird...

:EDIT: If you enter a 2001 bike it says it can't do shock springs and if you enter a 2000 year it comes up with my numbers.
Looks like they have different numbers in their database for different years but the actual springs on the bikes didn't change - Weirder and weirder.

Both Jesse Kientz and Norm Kouba recommended the same .47 fork and 7.6 shock springs to me.

NordieBoy screwed with this post 01-15-2008 at 11:47 AM
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Proteo_DR
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Lima PERU
Oddometer: 15
If I rebuild my shock, it is necesary to fill with nitrogen? here it is difficult to obtain it easily, could be compressed air only?
Regads
Proteo_DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 AM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,187
i'm interested but also thing your spring rate is wrong.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:08 AM   #15
P-nut OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Asheville
Oddometer: 75


The stock shock.
__________________
1996 DR 650
2006 S2R 1000
P-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014