User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Sparkdaddy OP
aventurero

Oddometer: 926
Denver to Copper Canyon to Baja & back HELP

Out of all the cycle sites I check out this one always seems to have the best stuff. Thanks in advance for taking time to read my post. Hopefully you will have some advice, tips, or your .02 for the trip I am trying to plan.

The plan so far:
Leave Denver mid to late April for Elpaso, TX.
Head to Copper Canyon and then head South West until I hit water.
Jump on a ferry to Baja and then ride north back to the USA.
Basically a little loop.
&
Crash at cheap hotels, eat lots of tacos and have a few beers.
Will be riding my KLR650 with GPS (What paper maps?)
Put on new treads in Elpaso (Brand?)
Bring some spare parts (Top 5?)
Spare fuel?
How long will it take, or should it take & still have fun while covering some ground?
Guesstimates on mileage?
I have training in desert survival but really don't want to call on that if at all possible.
May be going solo, waiting for a couple of answers from other riders who have never been by bike either.

I probably have a thousand more questions but and I am reading anything I can find that has to do with Mexico. This will be my first international adventure on a motorcycle. I know, not much but this is hopefully a warm up ride for Panama.

I really want to head to the caribe side of Mexico but I think this may be better riding and less time??? It would also be more tempting to keep riding south if I went that way. I have to work sometime.

Thanks

Sparkdaddy screwed with this post 02-18-2008 at 09:06 AM
Sparkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Map: Guia Roji (map book)
Tires: 80/20 (street/dirt) unless you plan much off road
Miles per day: Similar to USA, mountains and canyons mean curves, do not ride after dark
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Sparkdaddy OP
aventurero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Map: Guia Roji (map book)
Tires: 80/20 (street/dirt) unless you plan much off road
Miles per day: Similar to USA, mountains and canyons mean curves, do not ride after dark
Check, check & check.

Thanks LoneRider

I just saw they have a new GPS map for Mexico being released this week that works for Garmin.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
BCRides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Doing the same basic route March 8-17thish so it will be short notice once we're back but if you'd like feedback, just pm me after that.

Here's a few trip reports you can review for some ideas. Many more on ADV Rider if you search.

Husky 610... about 2 weeks?
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=53019

KLR ... 9 days from Dallas back to Dallas

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...er+canyon+baja

Also, google copper canyon baja trips and look at different adventure tour company itineraries. Looked at a few yesterday. Most do it in 12-15 days but usually have 1-3 days of "layovers".

I'll be riding a 525 EXC with 3 others on 990/950/and 530 EXC.

Haven't been to CC or Baja on bikes yet but live in El Paso and have been to CC twice. If you plan to slab it from El Paso through Chihuahua City for the fastest route down to the "good stuff" cross at Santa Teresa, NM just west of El Paso. Will be faster and easier. If you want to avoid the Autopiste (Interstate) route, head 60 miles west from El Paso to Columbus and head south. Will take a little longer to ride down to CC but you may very well enjoy the ride down more. The crossing should also be easier/faster than in El Paso.

Feel free to pm me for more info or call me 915-526-2404.
www.BarryCookRealEstate.com
BCRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
Highwayman
Saddle Up

Oddometer: 179
I'm planning on crosssing at Presidio around mid-April, doing the canyon and Bato and coming back. I purchased the Mexcio GPS maps for $190 and they sent me the upgraded 2.0 version the other day...seems to be great for my garmin 2720. I'm riding solo from Mississippi if you want to meet on the road--my first trip also-just PM me. I've studied Spanish a good bit and would recommend you get the Pimsleur CD's from a good book store, if you don't speak any...that or Rosetta Stone.

Mike
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
SunnySideUp
O hell, I'll do it!

Oddometer: 700
I'm planning on doing the same/similar route, only in reverse (South from AZ, north through TX) in early May. If there is flexibility in your schedule maybe we could meet on the road. If not I hope to get some good beta from you on your way back!
SunnySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Sparkdaddy OP
aventurero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRides
Doing the same basic route March 8-17thish so it will be short notice once we're back but if you'd like feedback, just pm me after that.

Here's a few trip reports you can review for some ideas. Many more on ADV Rider if you search.

Husky 610... about 2 weeks?
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=53019

KLR ... 9 days from Dallas back to Dallas

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...er+canyon+baja

Also, google copper canyon baja trips and look at different adventure tour company itineraries. Looked at a few yesterday. Most do it in 12-15 days but usually have 1-3 days of "layovers".

I'll be riding a 525 EXC with 3 others on 990/950/and 530 EXC.

Haven't been to CC or Baja on bikes yet but live in El Paso and have been to CC twice. If you plan to slab it from El Paso through Chihuahua City for the fastest route down to the "good stuff" cross at Santa Teresa, NM just west of El Paso. Will be faster and easier. If you want to avoid the Autopiste (Interstate) route, head 60 miles west from El Paso to Columbus and head south. Will take a little longer to ride down to CC but you may very well enjoy the ride down more. The crossing should also be easier/faster than in El Paso.

Feel free to pm me for more info or call me 915-526-2404.
Thanks BC! I can't freaking wait to go. I was stationed in El Paso back in the day and havn't been back through since 1990 or so.

I was reading Gaspipe's web site and some of his travels through dirt to CC. Good info here for guys going in through AZ. http://www.whiskythrottle.net/

Still waiting on my mapas from Mapsco. They are a little slow and had to order the map due to being sold out. May send you a PM later.

Thanks, Todd
Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Sparkdaddy OP
aventurero

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will be riding with a buddy of mine AKA: Froman, the Chili King of Colorado. Our tenative date of Departure is 04/17 from Denver. I'll post later on and maybe some of us can meet up.