ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2003, 04:45 AM   #1
Yamahauler OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question Trip to Mexico questions

Need to get the stupid questions out of the way, before asking the intellegent ones.
1. In riding a full dress street bike in Mexico, will I have a serious hard time with the lack of decent roads, or 3 ft deep mud roads issue?
2. Concerning saftey: Would I have to be worried about getting shot off of my bike for the purpose of the killer getting a little whiskey money, and should I, can I take a piece with me, or will the boarder patrol snatch it? Guess I've seen too many movies of the police being just as corrupt as the bandits down there. Like to hear that there is some law and order in existance down there.
3. Can any of ya'll point me to where I can get a detailed map of the named villages, so I can find where my Compassion International daughter lives.

TIA for your experienced advice.

Yamahauler screwed with this post 12-10-2003 at 05:11 AM
Yamahauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:46 AM   #2
Vetterfarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I,ve been though Baja to Cobo,also mainland as for as mazatlan, Creel , Durango on my Harley no problems sometime theres road construction the detours are a little worse than in the states DON"T BRING THE PIECE instant jail time..Chris
Old 12-10-2003, 08:07 AM   #3
pushrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I rode all through central Mexico last March. The Autopistas are good, but expensive. Highways and secondary roads are fine for a GS. I would have been concerned about some of the roads I rode on if I had been riding my Geezer Glide or my LT. Potholes and topes are the problem. A tope is kind of like a speed bump, but larger. The Mexicans don't mark all of them very well, and they come up unexpectedly. Slow down and watch for them in all populated areas.

I had no safety concerns in Mexico. The people were nice and the food and lodging were great. Our group even got stopped for running a red light and was let off with a warning.

Watch out for livestock on the roads. I encountered pigs, cows, goats, chickens, burrows and a horse at full gallop on my trip. It seemed to me that an accepted practice was to bring the livestock to the highway to eat the grass on the shoulder.

Mexico is a progressive society like some of our more advanced states on the east and west coasts. There, only criminals are allowed to have guns. Leave your gun at the house.

If you find a good map of Mexico, let me know. And forget about getting any assistance from a GPS. To my knowledge no one has undertaken a street-level GPS mapping of the place.

Tom
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:10 AM   #4
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,991
Don't even bring ammunition! Last winter while riding south of Veracruz, I passed a funny looking building on the side of the road. It looked like a fort of some kind. You know, square with tall walls with towers on the corners and lots of barbed wire. I think it was some kind of hotel or something. The kind I didn't want to stay in.

As for getting shot, once you get 100 miles south of the border, you're in a different country with friendly people. Just don't ride at night. And watch out for the speed bumps.

For more info check out www.horizonsunlimited.com

John
Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #5
Lee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Riding in Mexico

I've been going to Mexico on motorcycles for many years and feel safer than in many parts of the US. Crossing the border can be a serious pain. Do not even think of taking anything thats not legal into Mexico. Be sure to have all of the correct papers for both you and the bike. Make extra copies of everything. A passport, drivers license, current registration for the bike and Insurance valid in Mexico will be needed. You will also need a credit card. A duplicate drivers license can also be very handy. Requirements may change from time to time. Be sure to verify what is needed before starting for Mexico. Getting the necessary paper work done at the border has often been the most difficult part of the trip for me. Once past the border area the people tend to be great (this applies to both sides of the border).
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #6
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
I look at every map of Mexico I can find. I've not seen two that agree. Guia Roja are pretty good for getting places and seem to be the current standard of the industry. Widely available.

Meanwhile, you can find a pretty good resource online:
Maps of Mexico

Don't take a gun. Not even one bullet. They are quite serious about this.

I traveled to Guatemala from Texas this summer, with a buddy and his dogs, in a SUV. Hadn't been down that way in many years. Everybody was very friendly, the soldiers, police, and border guys were courteous and professional--more so than the US crew, by far. I feel much safer in Mexico than I do in, say, Houston.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #7
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,685
Re: Trip to Mexico questions

Quote:
Said Yamahauler:
Need to get the stupid questions out of the way, before asking the intellegent ones.
1. In riding a full dress street bike in Mexico, will I have a serious hard time with the lack of decent roads, or 3 ft deep mud roads issue?
2. Concerning saftey: Would I have to be worried about getting shot off of my bike for the purpose of the killer getting a little whiskey money, and should I, can I take a piece with me, or will the boarder patrol snatch it? Guess I've seen too many movies of the police being just as corrupt as the bandits down there. Like to hear that there is some law and order in existance down there.
3. Can any of ya'll point me to where I can get a detailed map of the named villages, so I can find where my Compassion International daughter lives.

TIA for your experienced advice.
Those are not stupid questions.

1.- No problem with a large bike, on the toll roads, just watch carefully the road on the secondary ones (libre).
2.- Use common sense, everybody recognizes a bad nbr'hood, park in lighted areas where there are people and so on. Travel during daylight hours. dont carry any weapon you'll get in deep trouble.
3.- The ebove mentioned site maps of mexico is good, also guia Roji maps.

If you tell me where are you heading, maybe I can help you more
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:20 PM   #8
Yamahauler OP
n00b

RE Pushrod

The Autopistas are good, but expensive. Highways and secondary roads are fine for a GS. I would have been concerned about some of the roads I rode on if I had been riding my Geezer Glide or my LT. Potholes and topes are the problem. A tope is kind of like a speed bump, but larger.
1. What's an Autopistas, not an automatic pizza?
2. Would the speed bumps scrape bottom of my bike if going over it at say, a couple mph?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:10 PM   #9
pushrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Re: RE Pushrod

Quote:
Said Yamahauler:
1. What's an Autopistas, not an automatic pizza?
2. Would the speed bumps scrape bottom of my bike if going over it at say, a couple mph?
Actually, Autopistas is plural. They do not resemble autopizzas. They are very much like parkways and other toll roads in the U.S., only with burros loose in the median. The tolls are so high that the locals cannot afford to use them, so they are largely free of traffic. I saved most of the receipts from the tolls on my trip and documented paying over 1,270 pesos ($127 U.S.) in tolls and really spent very little time on them. Use them only if you want to make time from one location to another.

Whether your scoot's going to drag on the topes depends on what you are riding. I would not recommend trying to navigate Mexico on a slammed Road King. Even if you could get over most of them at 3 mph, a few are going to sneak up on you and hurt you really bad.

Tom
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:17 PM   #10
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Do the proper paperwork, change all $ into pesos...and just go.

A beautiful country and the people are 'real' and very friendly. You'll love it.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:53 AM   #11
Yamahauler OP
n00b

While I've got your attention, just need to know what kind of bucks I'd need to stay about a week in Mexico. I'm thinking mabey a grand? I know almost anywhere in the states, that's the story. And can I get the exchange done at the boarder or should I do it somewhere else?

Yamahauler screwed with this post 12-11-2003 at 03:59 AM
Old 12-11-2003, 07:17 AM   #12
Vetterfarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I like to use an ATM card so as not to carry lot's of cash,withdrawing about 1500 peso each time. Today that's about $140.00 you get exact exchange rate no service fee.If the machine gives me 500 peso bill's I go into the bank to break down to smaller bills. I also carry some 1's and 5's US just in case I run out. you'l need to learn the lingo for the bank , Cambio, venta. cienta and so fourth
Old 12-11-2003, 10:59 AM   #13
Yamahauler OP
n00b

Re Pushrod

From what I've heard from previous owners of any Harleys on the Venturers site. I'd be lucky if I got to the Mexican boarder from Va. on one of them. With my Yamaha, I should have no problem, and with the Mexican speed bumps, hopefully pumping up my shocks to max air should provide me the clearance. Then, I figure on about a month getting down there and back. My dinasour aged bones can't see doing the iron butt routine. If anyone knows, about how many days would it take to get from 15 miles south of DC to the closest boarder crossing? If ya'll don't know, don't sweat it.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #14
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,991
Quote:
Said Yamahauler:
While I've got your attention, just need to know what kind of bucks I'd need to stay about a week in Mexico. I'm thinking mabey a grand?
Probably not near that much. Think more of in the neighborhood of $50 per day, depending on how frugal you are. You can get ten dollar rooms or fifty dollar rooms. Food is inexpensive, gas isn't bad and what else are you going to spend your money on?
John
Old 12-11-2003, 04:43 PM   #15
cbmwgs
Retired Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Washington DC to Del Rio

is about 1750 miles. If you were riding a BMW you could make it in 2 days. On a Yamaha, depends???

Del Rio is a good crossing point. From there it is only about 600 miles to Creel.
Lots of information on Mexico crossing
HERE

Good Med insurance info here

have a good trip !