User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Yard Sale OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Bali

I'm toying with the idea of going to Bali in late October. Are there any riding opportunities in Bali? Ideally, off-road. Bring my gear, rent a bike, follow a guide (or not). My schedule would give me only half-days. But I could pad my trip with a few days before and/or after my event.
Yard Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
manfish
Ulysses Handler

Oddometer: 22
I've been to Bali 5 or 6 times in the last 4 or 5 years. Awesome place, but I go for the scuba diving and the people. They are some of the friendliest people around based on the travels I've made to Asia, Europe and Africa.

That being said, I'd never consider riding a motorcycle there. If their are laws, they surely aren't enforced, the lanes mean nothing. If you can fit a truck, a car and 2 motorcycles all going past each other on a 2 lane road, Go for it! Unless you have experience driving in Asian or European countries, I'd avoid driving and leave it to the locals.

But if you want to try, I'm betting there wouldn't be any good riding down around Denpasar, it's just to crowded, but if you go to the northern end of the island around Tulamben, or west to Lovina there may be some good rides.

I've dealt with Grand Komodo Tours a few times in the country and they are great to deal with and might be able to answer some of your questions about motorcycle riding. One other thing to keep in mind is that almost all the motorcycles I've seen there are scooter type with 125 cc engines or so... I have seen a few small dirt bike style bikes though.

Have a great trip, you'll love the country. I'll close with a few common scene photos around Bali.

manfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
PIklr
Adventure Guide

Oddometer: 81
I have raced Supercross and went riding around Bali, and then Jakarta, But we had to ship in and out our bikes, a group of us racers on a day off did rent the local available scooters had a blast racing around kuda, sanur and Nusa dua, you need a international drivers permit to rent, and a valid drivers license, but no need for an endorsement. No big bikes at all that I seen. if you ride, its the rule of tonnage there, if its bigger get out of the way!

Bryan

http://www.philippinemotorcycletours.com/
PIklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
if you ride, its the rule of tonnage there, if its bigger get out of the way!

Bryan
/[/quote]

Yes the sientific equation for determining right of way over there should always be kept in mind. F=MA (force= mass X acceleration)

petefromberkeley screwed with this post 02-13-2008 at 01:53 PM
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 AM   #5
Ujow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Rent a bike and go off road?

Its been years since my visit to Bali. But as far i remember, there are lot of scooter rentals. If you lucky enough, you'll find a 125cc dirt bike to rent. But dont imagine it like the KTM looks.The Suzuki TS-125 its like 80's dirt bike. Well, there's a big bike rental in Bali if i'm not mistaken. They provide H-D and other bike.

Have a nice visit.
Ujow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
h17
Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer: 747
yes, if youre looking for a big bike only cruiser like HD that you can rent, other than that only small mopeds and scooters that are available.
h17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Rodrigofernandes
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Dirt Bike Renthal in Bali

Hi All,

I'm looking to rent a dirt bike in Bali or in Jakarta for 10 days of usage.
Do you know any Company who I can contact?

Thank you,
Rodrigofernandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
rxp23au
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi guys,

Also interested in hiring a dirt bike in Bali for 14 days or so. Does anyone know of any names/contacts?

Cheers
rxp23au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
eatingdust
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Renting a Bike in Bali

I've lived in Bali for 4 years - the riding here is spectacular. The prior comments about the traffic - particularly in the Capital and tourist areas are true - you need to be an experienced and have a small area of personal space. Lots of people ride here without helmets - and go home in plaster casts or worse. But with care, Bali is motorcycle paradise.

Renting off road bikes is tricky. I see old Suzuki 125's sitting outside workshops in the towns and villages and guess that the owners may be renting them out - but there is no organised rental of these bikes. I know of no new trail bikes being rented out here. Bali has almost no Bikes over 200 cc for tax/registration/legal/political reasons.

For routes - look to the mountains (volcano's). The further up the volcano's you get, the worse (read better, less sealed, more trail like) the roads get. There are also interesting trails in some of the rice fields, but be wary. I landed upside down in a wet rice field last week - the trails can get very narrow...Google Maps/Google Earth is the place to look for trails - stay away from towns and villages and the roads are excellent...

Good luck.
eatingdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
balitripservice
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Bali Dirt Bike Rental and Bali Dirt Bike Adventure Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp23au View Post
Hi guys,

Also interested in hiring a dirt bike in Bali for 14 days or so. Does anyone know of any names/contacts?

Cheers
Hi guys, we providing online booking for Dirt Bike Rental with engine size 150 and 250 Trail Bike with KAWASAKI Brand.
Check out our website at http://www.balitripservice.com/bali-...il-bike-rental for further info.

Regard,

Bali Trip Rider
balitripservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
iSAW
Whats this lever do?

Oddometer: 156
Bump!!

Just booked some time in bali for next year,
Am planning on hiring a bike and maybe hopping to another island for a quick squirt and look around for a week. If anyknow can point me in the direction of a place that rents a decent bike, and some maps/places to check out, or a 6-8 day loop I'm all ears!

Cheers

My Philippine Adventure!
iSAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
YamahaXT600
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSAW View Post
Just booked some time in bali for next year,
Am planning on hiring a bike and maybe hopping to another island for a quick squirt and look around for a week. If anyknow can point me in the direction of a place that rents a decent bike, and some maps/places to check out, or a 6-8 day loop I'm all ears!

Cheers
just check some posts here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....44&postcount=8

I guess you could just visit the volcanos and the big tourist atractions by bike (check lonely planet) ... The riding in Bali is a pleasure in itself.

Also: And I can advise this to anyone: BUY an indonesian simcard with credit and let a local hook you up with internet. You'll have navigation if u have GPS on ur phone...
YamahaXT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
gozell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Check http://www.archipelago-adventure.com tours (maybe rental too) with Kawa KLX 250 in Bali

Click top right for english ;)

The latest: Amsterdam to Japan / Australia / Indonesie 2007 - 20??

http://picasaweb.google.com/mbaars99
gozell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
iSAW
Whats this lever do?

Oddometer: 156
Thanks,

I've messaged the guy from the link above, but it sounds like hes only got one bike.. I'm chasing another for my mate to ride with me. I'll do the walk down the street and hopefully we find something.

My Philippine Adventure!
iSAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
griffin146
Coming in Hot.....

Oddometer: 139
Just back from Bali.
Rode a softail for a day ride.270 km in 9 hours.
Really nice, but average speed 60-70km/h, due to traffic and twisties.
pics here - www.ninja650tourer.blogspot.com.