ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,386
Facet #40171 Users Check In

I'm about to switch over from the earlier Facet (I forget the #).
Question: Hows the 40171 treating you ? Any flooding or hydro locking issues with the petcocks left open with this one ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Oddometer: 3,809
Please post!!!!

+1 this thread...

If it's any consolation, a friend of mine here in Ontario just finished up a weekend training ride down south and his 40171 worked perfect!

I'm planning to install my 40171 in the coming week.
Ooobah-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,311
So did Dennis post a ride report?

I have heard only good things of the Facet 171 you speak of - no worries - even with aqualine tanks on.

edit: correct model name

HappyGoLucky screwed with this post 02-29-2008 at 05:21 AM
HappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
So far so good. 2,000 miles on it using the 12 gal tanks and it holds the fuel back over night. It has been starting up much better than w/ my old facet. (I think it flooded the motor on start up)

Riding has slowed down around here w/ all the snow/ice, but hopefully it will get better soon.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

My Facet 40171 is working flawlessly.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,719
I have a Facet pump on my SE. I am not sure of the model. I think that it is the older one that allow for gas to flow when the 950 AVDs were on their side stand. It doesn't do this on the SE.

But I have noticed that my pump runs a lot. Even when it sounds like it is pushing on a serous pressure head.

Do these pump have a pressure swtich? Do they turn off for a while when the carb bowls are full?

I am having battery problems. It would be great if I could figure out if the pump is draining the battery.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,864
Mounting the 40171

mounting pump with tourtec bash plate. I have read the entire post on "another dead fuel pump" however I can't find the instructions for mounting the facet 40171 with the tourtec bash plate. I bolted mine under the battery carrier however there is not enough clearance to put the bash plate back on..... can some one point me in the right direction?

The good news is my bike fires up nice, yet to ride it though.

joe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
280racer
AKA: WrongTiredGuy

Oddometer: 187
pressure switch...

The instructions for the 40171 says that installing an OIL PRESSURE SWITCH inline with the pump is "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED" to prevent the pump from running if the engine stops and the ignition switch is on. That suggests to me that there is no "pressure switch" in the pump and also suggests there might be an issue leaving the pump wired the way we are long-term. Of course it might just be a paranoid safety-minded warning too... as in it would be uncool to be pumping fuel all over the place if something bad happens. Time will tell but it might be interesting if someone could track the location of the engine's oil pressure switch and figure out how to wire it into the fuel pump circuit...
Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Talking Don't go gettin' all paro noid on us now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280racer
The instructions for the 40171 says that installing an OIL PRESSURE SWITCH inline with the pump is "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED" to prevent the pump from running if the engine stops and the ignition switch is on. That suggests to me that there is no "pressure switch" in the pump and also suggests there might be an issue leaving the pump wired the way we are long-term. Of course it might just be a paranoid safety-minded warning too... as in it would be uncool to be pumping fuel all over the place if something bad happens. Time will tell but it might be interesting if someone could track the location of the engine's oil pressure switch and figure out how to wire it into the fuel pump circuit...
No oil pressure cut off switch is required if you connect the new pump (Facet or whatever) to the existing fuel pump wiring (black-blue and brown). The ECU controls the fuel pump through the fuel pump relay. The ECU is also what allows the fuel pump to run for a few seconds when the ignition switch is first turned on, butt the engine isn't running yet. Once the engine is running, the ECU provides power to the fuel pump relay continuously. When the engine quits running, the ECU shuts off power to the fuel pump relay, thus keeping the pump from pumping fuel and creating a hazard in the event of a crash.

The OEM Mitsubishi pumps use a contact point interrupt mechanism to regulate its duty cycles. The Facet 40xxx series fuel pumps run continuously as long as +12vdc is applied to their inputs. My 40171 draws 740 ma while running.

Facet's oil pressure switch warning is generic for all positive displacement electric fuel pumps 'cuz many are installed in "non ECU controlled" systems. Also, always install a fuel filter upstream with these type electric fuel pumps. They have precise clearances that will eventually be damaged by crud in the fuel system.
Just sayin'

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 04-01-2008 at 12:30 PM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Also, always install a fuel filter upstream with these type electric fuel pumps. They have precise clearances that will eventually be damaged by crud in the fuel system.
Just sayin'
you would think.. after tearing her apart to install the new pump I could have gone the extra step to install the filter upstream - it's a weird kind'of lazy I suffer from...
Old 04-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber-Moto
you would think.. after tearing her apart to install the new pump I could have gone the extra step to install the filter upstream - it's a weird kind'of lazy I suffer from...
I was thinking of just velcroing my engine to the frame next time. Quicker that way.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 AM   #12
Nillbymouth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
No oil pressure cut off switch is required if you connect the new pump (Facet or whatever) to the existing fuel pump wiring (black-blue and brown). The ECU controls the fuel pump through the fuel pump relay. The ECU is also what allows the fuel pump to run for a few seconds when the ignition switch is first turned on, butt the engine isn't running yet. Once the engine is running, the ECU provides power to the fuel pump relay continuously. When the engine quits running, the ECU shuts off power to the fuel pump relay, thus keeping the pump from pumping fuel and creating a hazard in the event of a crash.

The OEM Mitsubishi pumps use a contact point interrupt mechanism to regulate its duty cycles. The Facet 40xxx series fuel pumps run continuously as long as +12vdc is applied to their inputs. My 40171 draws 740 ma while running.

Facet's oil pressure switch warning is generic for all positive displacement electric fuel pumps 'cuz many are installed in "non ECU controlled" systems. Also, always install a fuel filter upstream with these type electric fuel pumps. They have precise clearances that will eventually be damaged by crud in the fuel system.
Just sayin'
Okay, I understand that the pump runs for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on and then continuously once the bike starts.

However, the OEM pump had a pressure switch so even if it had power it would not run unless required. When turning on the ignition I would only hear the OEM pump run approx 1 in 10 times. The 40171 runs EVERY time. In fact if I turn the ignition on/off/on/off/on... the 40171 runs every time. I then squeezed the fuel line to the carbs to block it and tried several more times and the 40171 still runs. Is this normal? I'm worried that it might be pumping too much fuel.

BTW, when I mean the 40171 runs, I mean I can hear it clicking, I've not checked to see if fuel is actually being pumped.
Nillbymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:48 AM   #13
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,767
Thumb Works great

I installed one on Ingrid's '05 950 a couple months ago. She has now done over 15,000kms using this pump since about April of this year. No problems what so ever.

She just got back from an 18 day/ 8000km ride in the States and the bike ran like a top whether idling through traffic in 100+F heat or cruising at 90 mph on the interstate in Montana.

Just install the bloody thing, quit worrying, and get out there and ride
Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #14
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillbymouth
Okay, I understand that the pump runs for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on and then continuously once the bike starts.

However, the OEM pump had a pressure switch so even if it had power it would not run unless required. When turning on the ignition I would only hear the OEM pump run approx 1 in 10 times. The 40171 runs EVERY time. In fact if I turn the ignition on/off/on/off/on... the 40171 runs every time. I then squeezed the fuel line to the carbs to block it and tried several more times and the 40171 still runs. Is this normal? I'm worried that it might be pumping too much fuel.

BTW, when I mean the 40171 runs, I mean I can hear it clicking, I've not checked to see if fuel is actually being pumped.
That's how it is suppose to work. If you checked the pressure in the fuel line between the pump and the carbs, you'd find it to be between 2 and 3 PSI (whatever the 40171 is rated at). There wouldn't be any flow, however, because the float valves in the carb hold the fuel back.

I believe that this is achieved by keeping a very specific, tight tolerance between the "piston" in the Facet pump and the sleeve it slides in. I put piston in quotes because it is actually more of a sliding pellet inside of a solenoid. So yes, the pump is pumping whenever it has power, but it has a built-in relief valve type system which kicks in when the specified pressure is achieved.

Clear as mud?

I have about 6000 miles on my Facet 40171 and it is plugging along just fine. No flooding issues and no fuel sarvation issues.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #15
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo
mounting pump with tourtec bash plate. I have read the entire post on "another dead fuel pump" however I can't find the instructions for mounting the facet 40171 with the tourtec bash plate. I bolted mine under the battery carrier however there is not enough clearance to put the bash plate back on..... can some one point me in the right direction?

The good news is my bike fires up nice, yet to ride it though.

joe
FYI, I read through the instructions and can confirm that Facet makes mention of there being a fuel filter required (specifically; mounted 'upstream', where it filters the fuel before it enters the pump). - just like 280racer did.

However, I installed my 40171 with the filter 'doin-it's-thang' once the fuel has already passed through the pump (i.e. downstream). I wanted to reuse the original fuel lines (mostly out of laziness!)... as such, fitting the filter before the pump would have resulted in the original fuel lines being too short.

Anyway, I have a TouraTech skid plate and had some trouble fitting the pump+filter under the bike. So, here are my suggestions (if you have a TT skid plate) - cut the tab's off the Facet pump and adhere it to the bottom of the battery box (via Velcro or something really sticky). Be sure to mount the pump as close to the rear of the bike as possible. In fact, there's a nook on the bottom of the motor, near the rear of the battery box - the corner of the pump will fit into that nook and allow JUST enough clearance for the TT plate.

IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about adhering the pump anyway; the TT skid plate will hold the pump in place. I didn't have anything to adhere the pump to the bottom of the bike with anyway, so I just left it hanging while I secured the TT plate into place - really tight fit!!!

Oh, one last thing.. brass/copper fittings (to achieve the 90 degree bend) work perfect! Just remember to use PTFE tape (yellow - resists chemical breakdown).

Overall,
So far so good.