ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Roeligan OP
Belgium power!!!

Oddometer: 504
G2Ergo throttle cam & 990 adventure

1 word for it: SMOOTH!!!!!

Installed the 400 cam a few days ago... Very smooth now...
Next week I'll try the 200 for onroad (think it will be little better for road only).
Roeligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
stanbloke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
I fitted one of these with a K300 cam, brilliant.

Best farkle ever, so much control on the throttle now. .
Old 03-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Cpt.Crashtastic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbloke
I fitted one of these with a K300 cam, brilliant.

Best farkle ever, so much control on the throttle now. .
I have the 200 in mine and the 300 in front of my kboard. I feel another experiment coming on as the 200 is still snatchy.
Cpt.Crashtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Scrotie
Chuck U Farley

Oddometer: 1,657
Has anyone tried the 300 and 400 back-to-back? If so, what are your thoughts?
I am about to install the 400, and was wondering if the 300 would be enough to relax the throttle a bit.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 630
My G2..

I bought the G2 that was private labeled by KTM hardparts, I guess it is the same. I installed the 400 cam on my 07, and all I can say is sweet! My bike was not terrible as some have posted, however the G2 added alot of control and finesse that I think will translate to better drivetrain wear and more traction on slippery conditions.

I paid like 95 bucks, but I can say it is a very well built piece. Nice install when you go to do heated grips, but be sure to install a plug on your wiring so that you can remove the heated element if you want to change cams. I like the 400.
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #6
Roeligan OP
Belgium power!!!

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom
Nice install when you go to do heated grips, but be sure to install a plug on your wiring so that you can remove the heated element if you want to change cams. I like the 400.
Will be installing heated grips late this week... thanks for the tip, hadn't thought of that yet
Roeligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
fridayn2
RFV Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Install

Installation was at most maybe a few minutes. I have the ktm heatead grips intalled and there is enough slack in the cord that I did not have to instal a plug as some have suggested. Switching cams is just as simple.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,775
So what are folks ordering/getting?

Is it the Throttle Cam System...
Item #: G2-40-300

or just the tube and cam of choice to save $$$....???
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
cool dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Mine

I have tried both the 300 and 400 cams on my 2006 Euro 990. The 300 does take the majority of the small throttle opening sensitivity away and the 400 improves it further. Obviously the sensitivity reduction is at the expense of throttle action. i.e. you have to give the throttle more of a twist to achieve the expected acceleration. At small to no throttle openings I still find that the it is sensitive to bumps and I can sense the surging at constant throttle.

When I fitted the throttle tube (with KTM heated grips) I found that the throttle tube was fairly loose around the bar. I then wrapped the bar with a single layer if insulating tape to try to remove some of the play. This worked fine for about 6 months until last week. The tape finally slipped, wrinkled up and took all of the slack out of the throttle, inducing positive friction. This made if VERY difficult to twist the throttle in either direction. It was so bad that my hand/wrist cramped half way through a 7 hour 2 up ride. On removing the tape the problem was solved but I did notice that the throttle response was far lighter. So much so that now find it difficult to ride smoothly.

The upshot is that I found that lightly wrapping the bar (under the throttle tube) provides just enough friction to further help smooth out the throttle action. All I have to do now is to find a thin tape (or heat shrink) that will provide the required level of friction without slipping and locking the throttle. Any suggestions would be welcome.
cool dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
wee tee cee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool dude
I have tried both the 300 and 400 cams on my 2006 Euro 990. The 300 does take the majority of the small throttle opening sensitivity away and the 400 improves it further. Obviously the sensitivity reduction is at the expense of throttle action. i.e. you have to give the throttle more of a twist to achieve the expected acceleration. At small to no throttle openings I still find that the it is sensitive to bumps and I can sense the surging at constant throttle.

When I fitted the throttle tube (with KTM heated grips) I found that the throttle tube was fairly loose around the bar. I then wrapped the bar with a single layer if insulating tape to try to remove some of the play. This worked fine for about 6 months until last week. The tape finally slipped, wrinkled up and took all of the slack out of the throttle, inducing positive friction. This made if VERY difficult to twist the throttle in either direction. It was so bad that my hand/wrist cramped half way through a 7 hour 2 up ride. On removing the tape the problem was solved but I did notice that the throttle response was far lighter. So much so that now find it difficult to ride smoothly.

The upshot is that I found that lightly wrapping the bar (under the throttle tube) provides just enough friction to further help smooth out the throttle action. All I have to do now is to find a thin tape (or heat shrink) that will provide the required level of friction without slipping and locking the throttle. Any suggestions would be welcome.
MECHANIC AT MY LOCAL DEALER WAS GREASING THE BAR AND INSTALLING THIN O RINGS,APPARENTLY ITS AN OLD MOTO CROSS TRICK.
wee tee cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:18 AM   #11
Triwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Installed G2 cam (400) then used a sheet of copper shim (Engineers supply store) full length of throttle tube and cut to wrap once round bar with edges meeting. Grease tube and have eliminated all play as well as grease damping the sensitive twist action. Vast improvement in low speed rough terrain control.
Hope this helps
Triwi
Triwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,775
I just installed the throttle tamer essentially just the tube with only the 400 CAM....its fantastic!!!
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote