User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Hair OP
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,368
Cam bolts stripping.

In the past I have had problems with the Allen part of the cam bolts rounding off.
So when I remove the bolts I make sure that my Allen tools are high quality with no ware.

But that didn't help me this time.

This is the second time that I have checked the valve clearance on my SE. This time I wanted to record the shim sizes so I could plan ahead for when I might have to change a shim.

I was using a brand new Allen tool. I held the ratchet head in place. But the Allen head stripped out anyway. The bolt didn't move from its factory setting.

So now I have a few months to figure out how to remove the bolt.

It really seems that the 950 cam bolts are unacceptably soft.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Sounds like you need to make a custom allen wrench. That's probably the best way to get out the bad one too. Take the next size up, grind each edge until you have to hit it to go in. Is there room to put the socket on an impact driver? Impact drivers are the only way to go for phillips and allen fasteners.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,748
Metric?

Metric allen wrenches?
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
ceeco
two wheels at a time

Oddometer: 194
Yeah...somethings wrong here?? I have not heard of this issue before. What size and brand of tool are you using??
ceeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
kkug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I wanted to remove my caps and then I noticed that I would have the same problem.

So my plan is to have a friend help me. As I am torquing on the bolt to loosen it up I will have him use a long punch of some type and rap it with a hammer.

I have been putting this off a very long time but I know that some day I will have to tackle it.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Hair OP
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,368
I use a new metric tool each time. The tool fits about as good as one can hope for. That is why this brothers me so much. Those bolts just don't seem hard enough.

I like the idea of tapping it with punch. Anything that would get it going would be a big help.

From what I have seen of air impact drivers leaves me to think that that is not the answer.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Valve grinding paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
In the past I have had problems with the Allen part of the cam bolts rounding off.
So when I remove the bolts I make sure that my Allen tools are high quality with no ware.

But that didn't help me this time.

This is the second time that I have checked the valve clearance on my SE. This time I wanted to record the shim sizes so I could plan ahead for when I might have to change a shim.

I was using a brand new Allen tool. I held the ratchet head in place. But the Allen head stripped out anyway. The bolt didn't move from its factory setting.

So now I have a few months to figure out how to remove the bolt.

It really seems that the 950 cam bolts are unacceptably soft.
When my allens show a little wear i will use air cutoff wheel and remove the worn area.I use an angle air sander and take off any burrs and make sure the end is flat. Try a very small dab of valve grinding paste on the end of the allen. Clean bolt head before re- stalling.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
borborygmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
had the same problem on the bikes first valve adj.(950 adv) I think Hans at the ktm factory can't hear the little click the torque wrench makes! I won't even tell you what I had to do to remove it!
borborygmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by veesquared View Post
When my allens show a little wear i will use air cutoff wheel and remove the worn area.I use an angle air sander and take off any burrs and make sure the end is flat. Try a very small dab of valve grinding paste on the end of the allen. Clean bolt head before re- stalling.
Good tip here - I think I my tools may be due for this treatment
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
One of the bolts holding the cam bridge down on my bike was bent. Obviously a factory defect bolt. Couldn't even fix it with a die. Apparently the person who did the first valve check didn't notice it and messed up more than one threaded hole. A couple helicoils later and a new bolt all is fine. Be sure everything fits together smooth. The bolts should screw-in all the way - pretty much by finger - then use a good torque wrench to snug them up. It's easy, once the bolt starts OK to want to go ahead and seat it- even if it's a little sticky feeling - but don't do it if it doesn't feel right.
GLRRA47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Just a thought, if there is enough meat around the hole ,, look at threadserts instead of heli colis.. They are installed like a helicoil but designed for aluminum, they use them on the head studs of heavy power VW cases. I found them once through an aircraft supplier. They have a special tap with them and the threads engage DEEP they are Iconal If I recall so really tough but match AL expansion ..

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I stripped a bolt aswell and that made me buy new bolts for the front and rear, just to be sure id never run into this.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...320_154706.jpg
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote