User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
Josh69 OP
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
Eek Easter Mekong Tour, Vietnam

Hello everybody, this is my first trip report.

I've been working in Ho Chi Minh City aka Saigon, Vietnam for the last year and 4 months.

A while back I bought a Chinese made 125cc road bike - actually 125cc is big for Vietnam. The most common motorbike is the 97cc Honda Wave. Up until quite recently, bikes over 175cc were illegal. They are now legal again, but with almost 100% import duty, they are (i) hard to find (ii) double the price of anywhere else. I learned to ride a bike in Vietnam. At home in Australia about 10 years ago, I got a motorcycle learners permit and had a few lessons, but I never got around to getting a bike license. I day rented a bike elsewhere in Asia (sans license) a few times, but it was only when I arrived here, that I got a Vietnamese motorbike license. The Vietnamese transferred my overseas car license straight over, but I had to do a practial test for the bike.

Everybody in Vietnam rides bikes, I would guess that 90% of the vehicles on the road are motorbikes.

They are used to transport all sorts of stuff:

Like a bit of pottery :
Attached Images

Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Josh69 OP
Uhhh

Or some random vegetation:
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Josh69 OP
Uhhh

Or just some boxes around downtown Ho Chi Minh City - aka Saigon:

(note these three pics are just randoms from my time in Vietnam, not from the main subject of my thread, my Easter Tour around the Mekong Delta).
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Josh69 OP
Uhhh

With increasing incomes in Vietnam, particularly in the big cities and what with it being quite problematic buying a bike over 175cc* a lot of people are buying imported scooters.

Here's a random hot girl with a scooter!!

* above (there is also a different class of license for >175cc which is harder to get - although I know several Vietnamese who have been riding for a decade or more and still haven't bothered to get a license)

Attached Images

Old 04-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Josh69 OP
Uhhh

Anyway, I'm only in Vietnam for a limited time so I decided to stick to a cheap starter bike:

Here it is, a Guangdong (China) made Haojue 125cc road bike which I bought new for 20 million VN Dong, or about US$1250, including the Givi tail box. You can get them cheaper than this in China, however Vietnam has 10% VAT + 90% or 70% (think it went down recently) import duty, so this jacked the price up.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
Mr Baggins
Stinky Feet

Oddometer: 1,035

I notice everybody is wearing helmets.
Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white. -
Mr Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
Josh69 OP
Uhhh

A mandatory helmet law came into force in Vietnam in December 2007. Helmet use went from about 10% to about 99% overnight. Everybody wears helmets now, only in the countryside you occasionally see some people riding with no helmet.

====

On Good Friday, I checked into a hotel in My Tho. This is part of the Mekong Delta region of Vietnam. The Mekong goes through Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos but in the delta it splits into loads of smaller rivers which lead to the coast. Here you can see a view from the hotel room, looking down on a market with the river in the background.
Attached Images