User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Oddometer: 65
Question XT225 vs. XT250?

I have searched and searched many forums and threads. I've been lurking here a while, liked the info and members, and finally joined. I have it narrowed down to 2 bikes - the above and below mentioned models.

I can get a new '07 XT225 for $4075 OTD. Have not haggled on the XT250 yet, but early quotes are in the $4500 range.

From reading other posts, I figure I should give some background info.

--I have never owned (and I've only barely ridden) a motorbike before
--I am about 5'10" and 170 lbs.
--This bike will be mostly (~90%) for commuting back and forth to work and going back in the sticks to hunting camp. NO freeway, but some state highways (55mph)
--MPG is of paramount importance
--Being able to ride comfortably (for me and the bike) on the state roads and not be a traffic hazard is critical, too

Based on these criteria, can anyone opine for me which of these 2 bikes would be better?

I know the basic differences: 6 vs. 5 speed, 25cc's or so, color, cost. But can anyone tell me if there are tangible differences between the two for the useage I detailed above? Comfortable top speed, MPG, etc?

Sorry so long, but I don't want to make you ask too many Q's in your replies.

Great site and thanks in advance!
DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
Hey....another Yooper!

I can't tell you much about the new 250, but I do know the 225 has been out for years (if not decades), and has been a super reliable bike. The 6 speed is a plus.

I haven't heard much about the new 250's, but I did check one out today at BSA in Marquette, and they look pretty sharp. If they are like all other Yamaha products, should be reliable.

I would go for the 250 as it is a new design and as your skills progress, you will be able to take advantage of that extra 25cc's!

Come join the Yooper thread in the regional forum...
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I just sold my 2006 XT225 after owning it a few months. It was fine for what you describe, very bulletproof and lightweight to handle, high mpg, 80-90. Great to putter around on, and I actually liked the soft suspension.

I just wanted something more powerful for longer trips and such. The XT was a bit short for me too.

Personally I'd rather buy a used XT, save some $$ and taxes, and have the very large following of parts, etc. I bought this one for half of what you're about to pay. That's a LOT of gas.

Mark
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Thanks for the replies fellas.

WOW, another Yooper! This newfangled internet deal is pretty cool, bringing us together and all. Ever since it was invented last week, I've been using it a lot. I'm in Brimley, near the Soo, FWIW. Had many a good time in Marquette while visiting a buddy at NMU.

I should also mention I've ridden quads and sleds almost 20 years, so while a bike is for sure different, I'm not a total neophyte when it comes to big boy toys.

So is it pretty much a toss-up? I'm kind of leaning toward the 2008 XT250. I don't want the bike to strain at 60 or 65 if I have to hit I-75. I don't want to go on freeways, but you just never know. Is the 6-speed able to make up for the fewer cc's or is it a wash?

DCUP screwed with this post 04-11-2008 at 06:52 PM
Old 04-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
For your purposes and size, why not a DRZ400S? A good used one would be way less expensive than a new XT.

As for the two you've mentioned, the 250 will no doubt hold its value better and the extra 10% displacement would be worth having.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
norvegicus
waiting for spring...

Oddometer: 220
Another yooper here!

You can get an XT225 cheaper than that if you shop around. I've seen new 2007s for around $3600 on eBay, being advertised by dealers in Wisconsin and downstate MI.

I am in Marquette. I JUST bought my first motorcycle, a 2006 XT225 with 121 miles on it, for $2400 from The Fish and Hunt Shop in Curtis! I got the tip on that bike from yooperbikemike in this forum! Mike is selling a DR350SE if you're thinking of starting cheaper: http://up.craigslist.org/mcy/629875349.html

I was considering an XT250 too. I like the round headlight better and it has a better frame design.

What's really nice about the XT225 is that the model has not been changed hardly at all for 10 years, so there is a lot of knowledge out there about it and a lot of aftermarket parts available, things like wide footpegs and nice cargo racks, that won't be available for the XT250 for some time.

I'm looking forward to all this late snow melting so I can ride....I'm taking the NMU MSF course the first weekend in May...

The other thing is hardly anyone here has an XT250 so there just isn't much riding experience so far...so it's hard to get much comparison info...
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
Congrats amigo, these bikes are fun and give great MPG. I don't have either bike but a Tornado (250 cc HOnda) and love it, ride it almost everyday, I also have a KLR 650 but only use it for when I am doing the Interstate in the US.

The more you use it, the more you will love it. go to www.turbocity.com to see what they got. They have some great customer service..

See you

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Thanks for the input, gents!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Xandat
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Marquette here, planning on getting a xt250.
Xandat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
norvegicus
waiting for spring...

Oddometer: 220
I'm in Marquette, very much enjoying my XT225...

There seem to be quite a few yoopers here...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Yeah, all 6 of us post here.

My XT250 got just under 70mpg on the last tank, which was only my third fill up. I will fill up again tomorrow and try to post the mileage if it's significantly better.

Just passed 600 miles and changed the oil tonight. Maybe that'll be good for a few more mpg?

BTW, it's definitely true that the speedo and odo are off. I have it at about a 5% overage, thus giving a false mpg reading. The above figure is with my own personal adjustment factored it. Anyone else do any calculations regarding the mph error?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
Winterfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Thumb Ex Yooper Here

I was born and raised on Mackinac Island ( parents still live there)... yes for real... Now I live in Colorado. Last week I bought 2 TTR 250's at auction for the dealer I work for. Dual Sports are the big rage since gas went up.

I use to snowmobile to Paradise, the SOO, Grand Marais, and all over the U.P., now I enjoy the steep and deep of the Mountains here in CO. The off roading isn't all to shabby either.
Winterfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,728
I think YAMAHA is putting out some very fine products across the board. I got a 07 XT225 last May for my wife and did higher bars, pumper carb, bigger footpegs, and Turbo City rack and a spitfire windshield along with MT21 tires. The bike is awesome. I would literally take it anywhere and be completely happy and confident with it in anything except for hurricane force winds. The bang for the buck is definitely strong for the 250 or 225.
You can buy this thing, leave it like a pussycat, stock, and never do 1 modification or improve it and have a fine trail/adventure tool. Wow.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfreak
I was born and raised on Mackinac Island ( parents still live there)... yes for real... Now I live in Colorado. Last week I bought 2 TTR 250's at auction for the dealer I work for. Dual Sports are the big rage since gas went up.

I use to snowmobile to Paradise, the SOO, Grand Marais, and all over the U.P., now I enjoy the steep and deep of the Mountains here in CO. The off roading isn't all to shabby either.
Been to the island many times. Born and raised in Brimley. Moved to Jackson for a few years, then came back 2 years ago.

Your hunting is pretty good in CO, too, if you are a hunter. I'd love to chase elk there!

DCUP screwed with this post 05-16-2008 at 06:10 PM