User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Wozzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Wee-strom vs new F650GS for an ex-SVS'er

Just sold my SV650S, I liked it but the ergos absolutely killed me. Tried out a KLR for 30 mins, adored the upright position and the wind protection compared to the SV. I was very comfortable except for the bars being a little high (I have long arms, so they would have been more comfy a little lower).

Now I'm deciding between a wee-strom or a new F650GS (the twin), any thoughts? Mostly on-road (80% at least) with occasional off-road excursions, comfort is king for me...
Wozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzer
comfort is king for me...
get a car
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Wozzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk
get a car
I tried that but I couldn't figure out how to lean it.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
get a goldwing, its a car with 2 wheels that can lean .....

seriously tho, wait for the 650GS twin, it's worth it, mine is just around the corner and I went thru a similar decision process as yours
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
mcftw
hxc n33b

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
I tried that but I couldn't figure out how to lean it.
+1
mcftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,382
I've had almost every flavor of GS that BMW has ever made, and even a G650X. I just picked up a VStrom and I gotta say, for use as 90% road bike, I'm impressed.

I'd give an inexpensive, used V a try before dishing out big bucks for a Beemer.

Of course I can't hear BMW now without hearing "You did what? A fucking GS?... I'm really fucked now"

Now if you really want to ride it off road, leave them both behind and get a KTM
Old 04-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #7
Wozzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I'll take y'alls advice, try out a used wee, use it for the next few months and when the bmw 650/800 twins are here, give those a go and possibly switch.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
robobiker
NewRoundHere

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk
get a car
Bit of a myopic view there amk. No doubt made to provoke so I'm catching your bate ;)

Why bikes HAVE to be uncomfortable to be valid is beyond me. Personally I think most bikers who ride sports bikes on the road are either very young, or desperate to excude an image or they are lying about their back ache, wrist ache and excruciating pain in their knee joints.

Why punish yourself for the sake of being on two wheels. No-one expects, or desires a hermitically sealed, plush ride, but there IS a middle way.
robobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
F650GS not on BMW NA web site

The BMW web site has the F650 listed but not the new F800/650GS?

I wanted to see what the US list price will be.

I purchased a 2008 Wee Strom in Dec. '07 for $6450 because BMW was not going to bring the F800/650GS into the US and I'm totally delighted with the Wee Strom. The Wee is one of the few great Values available. It does everything very well, fun to ride, and the price just makes me grin from ear to ear
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
I'm kinda surprised to see some posts on this thread bashing bmw reliability. I thought that was one of the things their famed for... they are the only ones that give a 3 year warranty, afaik. Others are 1.

I've had a f650gs for a few years now that I bought used and it's never been in the shop. I've put on a new chain, gotten new rubber and done countless oil changes and that's been it. It's been abused and it's been bulletproof.

I was thinking of a wee but was surprised at what used ones were going for locally. When I realized the msrp was the same it's got me thinking of the 650 twin. The wee has a track record but the beemer is about 30 pounds lighter, makes a bit more power and a lot more torque. Pretty compelling in my books.
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo5
I was thinking of a wee but was surprised at what used ones were going for locally. When I realized the msrp was the same it's got me thinking of the 650 twin. The wee has a track record but the beemer is about 30 pounds lighter, makes a bit more power and a lot more torque. Pretty compelling in my books.
Go get the 650Twin I guarantee you won't regret it and I can vouch that the lighter weight is real and so is more horsepower .......
Old 04-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #12
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Now I'm deciding between a wee-strom or a new F650GS (the twin), any thoughts? Mostly on-road (80% at least) with occasional off-road excursions, comfort is king for me...
You are contemplating buying a grossly overpriced first year BMW against a proven, reliable, inexpensive Wee?
Good luck, at least your bank manager will put you on his Christmas card list.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote