User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Gedjack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Which High Fender.

As it says, which is the best high fender mod to go for. I am just about to do the 19" 17" wheel conversion and i think it looks better with the fender conversion. So which one is the best, and easiest to fit ????

Regards Gedjack
Gedjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
the stock fender helps the bike run cooler. A high fender is for offroad. I love all you posers
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,278
Ged - I'll give you an opinion without attitude. You don't need a high fender with a 19/17 combo. The only reason to install a high fender is to provide more clearance for the front wheel in sticky mud. With the 19 front, you've got enough clearance that this won't happen.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc
the stock fender helps the bike run cooler. A high fender is for offroad. I love all you posers
My stock fender is sitting in a field after I finished unbolting what was left of it.

19" tires would probably not have caused the mud to clog up so much, but it's tough to tell. Never experienced clay and black dirt build up like I did yesterday. The D606 was not helpful in this case.
Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
highlandcycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I broke my stock fender in about 1000 miles and decided to go with a high fender because I spend a lot of time offroad. I used a Super Moto Universal fender and cut the fork protectors off of the stock one. Looks alright and works well. I will probably use different fork protectors at some point, it was just faster to cut the original than fab something up. If you aren't going to spend much time offroad then I would use the stock one, it works really well and I think it looks good.

Just my 2 cents

VIVA LOS MTNADS

www.highland-cycles.com
Highland Cycles
Montrose, CO
970-240-2197
highlandcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:28 AM   #6
rubbercow80
Confused & Disorientated

Oddometer: 244
Its not just the fender that is the issue. The brake lines were also caught in the mud and were in danger of braking. Taping the right hand caliper to the left hand forkleg fixed the problem. It was the first time i had been caught in the mud on this bike and it may cause me to raise my original front guard a bit and replumb my brakelines.

rubbercow80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
I went for the KTM high gaurd kit. It comes with everything you need, right hand brake line, fork protectors and the same gaurd as used on the 625 sxc. I cut off the the front section because it flops around a bit and looks like crap. The only problem is on wet tracks a bit mud flicks off the front tyre and covers the headlight. That shouldn't be a problem with a 19 inch front though.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc
the stock fender helps the bike run cooler. A high fender is for offroad.
My 950 spends most of its time on the road, but I have gotten stuck in the mud due to the front wheel gluing itself to the fender, so I'm interested in this mod. Does the bike run significantly hotter? Does a vented fender help? Other downsides (noise/handling/susceptibility to cross winds)?

Oh, and is this mod compatible with fork seal savers? I would assume "yes" but I'm a thorough fork newbie.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:00 AM   #9
alpheus
Italian Carrot

Oddometer: 80
alpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
Does the bike run significantly hotter? Does a vented fender help? Other downsides (noise/handling/susceptibility to cross winds)?

Oh, and is this mod compatible with fork seal savers? I would assume "yes" but I'm a thorough fork newbie.
My bike runs no different, temp or handling, after the mod.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #11
howl
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 94

Hi I fitted the std KTM MX high guard with vent holes drilled in it and the std brace , SX80 fork guards and had no problems with over heating or handeling up to 130 mph ( cloed road ect )
Attached Images

howl screwed with this post 08-24-2008 at 02:11 AM Reason: I can not see the the second pic . Help !
howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Help with High Fender install 990 Adv

I started my high fender install today. The fender went on fine but I can't seem to get a handle on how to modify the left fork guard to work in conjunction with the ABS sensor. Do you end up cuting off the plastic arm that retains the wire to the ABS sensor so that you can get this guard to fit behind it? Which bolt holes on the guard did you use and which did you modify? If someone has a close up picture it would be really appreciated!!

Other options.... Has anyone use something like a rubber tube type cover for the fork instead (like they used on the KLR)? Or has tried cutting the OEM fender off and trim it down to leave the original sides as the fork guard portion? My big concern with this is that it may be to flimsy then.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Good shit in this thread for the 990 conversion, many different configs. Thanks for all the good pics of the abs sensor chop and different routings.

I need to find a fender that doesn't restrict the air flow to the radiator, trying the Acerbis SM next, the one i have now totally fuks the air flow.

Thanks to all, the closeup pics are wonderful...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
Good shit in this thread for the 990 conversion, many different configs. Thanks for all the good pics of the abs sensor chop and different routings.

I need to find a fender that doesn't restrict the air flow to the radiator, trying the Acerbis SM next, the one i have now totally fuks the air flow.

Thanks to all, the closeup pics are wonderful...
I followed the great instruction http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...ender_kit.html (btw: Thanks!)
Here's the closeup of the horizontal fins that allow a good airflow and offer very good protection of the radiator against mud and stones
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie025 View Post
I followed the great instruction http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...ender_kit.html (btw: Thanks!)
Here's the closeup of the horizontal fins that allow a good airflow and offer very good protection of the radiator against mud and stones
That's the fender to use IMHO speaking from zero personal experience of course, if it flows well enough for an SE it will be fine here I'm sure. Plus there's the upside of it actually looking like it might belong on that bike unlike the round lines of an RFS/EXC or stubby SM fender.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote