User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
stormsearcher OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
dr650 vs wr250r

narrowed my choices to the dr or the wr250r.has anybody owned both ?can you pls post your feedback.

the dr-cheaper to buy but needs mods like forks/jetkit/handlebars etc.-jetting/tuning

the wr-needs an aftermarket pipe like the FMFq4-/no jetting nothing/

the dr ends up to be as expensive as the wr.
wr on daily commute returns about 25kmpl/
wr does trail very well/and commutes with ease.can be a bit of hoon toy as well
whats the max speed of the dr?what is comfortable cruising speed?

any feedback from owners or riders who have had both bikes very welcome. cheers
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher
narrowed my choices to the dr or the wr250r.has anybody owned both ?can you pls post your feedback.

the dr-cheaper to buy but needs mods like forks/jetkit/handlebars etc.-jetting/tuning

the wr-needs an aftermarket pipe like the FMFq4-/no jetting nothing/

the dr ends up to be as expensive as the wr.
wr on daily commute returns about 25kmpl/
wr does trail very well/and commutes with ease.can be a bit of hoon toy as well
whats the max speed of the dr?what is comfortable cruising speed?

any feedback from owners or riders who have had both bikes very welcome. cheers

Bone stock, the DR is good for 100 mph or so, and mine likes to cruise around 80 mph, and will do it all day. Fuel mileage will suffer at that pace, however. The stock tank only holds 3.4 gallons, so range is a factor, but the aftermarket can address that, too.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
I am just curious, how did you get to the dr650se vs wr250r as the two bikes that you are considering? They are so far at the opposite sides of the technology vs. displacement spectrum. Have you riden either of them? One is a small block chevy torque monster, and the other is a honda vtec 4 rev box.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
stormsearcher OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
ridden wr/had a yamaha 3aj tenere 600

test rode the wr. found it a scream. nimble,great performer,fast.great suspension.etc.-also i like FI and new technology.my last 4 bikes(1vfr800,3xgsxr1000)all had FI.cant do the carbies anymore.

the tenere 3aj dakar version was one of my fav bikes. a bit heavy.

the reason i like the wr is i can take it to more hardcore dirt roads,trails,jump it over logs etc.

the dr seems to need a lot of work on forks,carb jetting,tuning etc.
i am only 65kgs.and i want to hoon. my dailly commute will be tight twisty bumpy tramac.basically dirt roads with tarmac on them
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
lastmanout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I have owned two DR650SE, and they are dependable, cheap to keep, lower tech tractors of a dual-sport and a bit heavy. Better on the highway and for riding two up, etc. I have a 06 KLX250s, and it is a bunch better in the woods, but is down on top end speed when doing short hauls in heavy freeway traffic (scary). The WR250 has more juice, but a 250 will be short of the torque of a larger engine. You alone can decide.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
Sounds like you already made your decision. The DR guys will all say the same thing as lastmanout (torque, dependable, etc.) WR seems like a no brainer. Go for it!
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
jester1542
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
test rode the wr. found it a scream. nimble,great performer,fast.great suspension.etc.-also i like FI and new technology.my last 4 bikes(1vfr800,3xgsxr1000)all had FI.cant do the carbies anymore.

the reason i like the wr is i can take it to more hardcore dirt roads,trails,jump it over logs etc.

i am only 65kgs.and i want to hoon. my dailly commute will be tight twisty bumpy tramac.basically dirt roads with tarmac on them
If you only weight 65Kg then you probably won't need suspension work on the DR unless you are doing some serious trail riding. The Carb jetting/tuning doesn't really change the power available but more the throttle response and again may not be needed. If you go with the jetting and preliminary carb work (air box mods and the like) the cost is pretty minimial (less then $100). One consideration is the DR will probably be more stable on the highway in cross winds or gusty wind conditions. About the only real requirements for the DR would be a skid plate (if you want to do a lot of off road), possibly a seat, and maybe a larger fuel tank (which can be worked around by carrying extra fuel).
jester1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
twotired
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
spooky... thats my two current possibilties as well
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
- John Lennon
twotired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Dirtgrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I've considered them both, as well, along with the DRZ400, although I'm thinking I'd rather buy used to save money, which rules out the WR for now. I'm looking to do commuting (mostly 40-55 mph highway and dirt roads (if I want to take them), dirt road exploring, and trying a bit of offroad (I keep thinking about the Six Days of Michigan Ride), but I have no offroad experience. I have a 1991 DR350S, but I still have to work on it to get it in running condition (and I can't get it to kickstart--only bump starts), and then I don't know if I'd trust it for commuting.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,215
I've owned a DR250 and currently ride a DR650.

I sold the 250 a few years back, because it was a pain to commute on the Interstate (bid semis aren't supposed to pass you) .

Just last week I got the 650: great for commuting, and my initial worries about the weight in the dirt are unfounded - the bike is acctualy very easy to ride

But what do I know - I'm just a girl (ok middleaged women)
Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 AM   #11
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:

You only have to read your posts on the WR to see you are already in love with it.

I think what you're really asking is the WR an adventure bike? Can you be seen as an adv rider on it? The answer is... "Buy the best bike you can afford that suits you!" For me it would be the WR over the DR any day of the week.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #12
Giddy Goanna
Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
narrowed my choices to the dr or the wr250r.
My next two considered bike choices as well Stormy.
Likewise, I am also 65kg.

Both are broad focus, low maintenance trail bikes.
I think the WR250R does everything better than the DR650 except price.
Both are similar value for money.
From your intended usage, I think you'd have a ball on the WR250R.
You can lower the seat height by an inch via adjustment at base of shock.
Further lowering of seat height can be acheived by purchasing "Yama Link" for USD$165.

I think I'd develop a closer bond to the DR (simplicity, air cooling, range of accessories), but have more fun on the WR (hoonability, light weight, smooth but revvy motor.)

Waiting for RV Aqualine (Safari Tanks) to bring out larger capacity tank for the WR250R. Even without it, the WR is a great ride straight out of the crate.

Keep us informed
Giddy Goanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,076
I think a DR650 vs. WR250R comparison makes some sense. One of the main reasons dual sports have grown to over 600cc is for highway travel. Unfortunately, along the way they passed the 300 pound wet threshold and became less suitable for tough trails.

Now along comes the WR250R with several road tests and many threads on ADVrider and Thumpertalk all raving about the wide ratio 6-speed, the silky smooth engine, and the unusual horsepower for a 250. If we have a 300 pound wet motorcycle that rivals the 650 class for freeway comfort, it seems to me the discussion is worth having.

I guess the next question would be which would bother you more on a gnarly trail -- the Suzuki's extra 60-70 pounds of weight or the WR's 125 motocross bike style powerband? I don't think there's any question that a WR250R would spank a DR650 on a motocross track.

"I am used to people like you who like to hide on the internet" -- tHEtREV

Hiding on the internet since 2006!
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
Nick250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I would think the DR-Z400S might be in the mix here. By all reports it has more grunt and is more street friendly than the WR250, but lighter and more dirt friendly than the DR650. Just a passing thought.

NG

Old Rides:'77 Kawa KZ650, '79 Yamaha IT175, '79 Suz GS1000, '80 Suz PE175, '82 Honda XR200, '83 Honda 750 Interceptor, '84 Husky WR250, '86 Husky WR250, '87 Husky WR400.
Nick250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick250
I would think the DR-Z400S might be in the mix here. By all reports it has more grunt and is more street friendly than the WR250, but lighter and more dirt friendly than the DR650. Just a passing thought.

NG
It certainly should be in the mix, but unfortunately the DRZ has one of the narrowest ratio 5-speed transmissions in the dual sport world. Gearing suffers against either the DR or the WR.

"I am used to people like you who like to hide on the internet" -- tHEtREV

Hiding on the internet since 2006!
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote