ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
rwamf OP
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
New Delorme PN-40

Looks like they made some serious improvements,

click the photo for the specs

* NEW! Super high-sensitivity 32-channel Cartesio chipset by STMicroelectronics delivers near-instantaneous signal acquisition and ConstantLock™ satellite retention
* NEW! Dual-core processor for rapid screen re-draws, even with large aerial imagery files
* NEW! 500 MB of onboard Flash memory (1 GB total hard drive)
* NEW! 3-axis electronic compass with included accelerometer performs when held in any position—while in motion or standing still
* NEW! Sensitive barometric altimeter for reliably accurate altitude readings
* NEW! Supports SDHC high-capacity SD cards—32 GB or higher
* NEW! Fast USB 2.0 data transfer to internal memory or SD card in device
* NEW! More detailed onboard base map data for the U.S., now with secondary and connector roads (along with major highways and thoroughfares for the entire world)
* 65K-color daylight-readable TFT screen for clarity in any light conditions
* WAAS-enabled for accuracy within 3 meters
* Topo USA 7.0 software with complete U.S topo and street maps included—no extra purchase required. Also displays USGS 7.5-min quads, aerial imagery, and NOAA nautical charts via online download from DeLorme
* PN-40 scheduled for Fall 2008 release

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 12-12-2008 at 12:12 PM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,136
Anybody out there in ADV world have one of these? I'm curious to see if it's faster than the PN-20 and how it compares to the Garmin 60csx. I like the Delorme maps but I wish the PN-20 had faster screen redraws and routing capabilities.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
rwamf OP
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z
Anybody out there in ADV world have one of these? I'm curious to see if it's faster than the PN-20 and how it compares to the Garmin 60csx. I like the Delorme maps but I wish the PN-20 had faster screen redraws and routing capabilities.
Still not released, should be in my hands by the end of the month.
The reviews I have read say it is almost instantaneous on the screen redraws even with high resolution color imagery, and it also keeps you centered on the screen now , so is it faster than the 20, it is WAY FASTER. also the screen scrolling is very fast too.
I will give a review once I have time to test it out.,
The subscription service for high resolution imagery is online and is fantastic ( $30 year) I have already download a bunch of stuff I plan on riding next year, very neat.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Still not released, should be in my hands by the end of the month.
The reviews I have read say it is almost instantaneous on the screen redraws even with high resolution color imagery, and it also keeps you centered on the screen now , so is it faster than the 20, it is WAY FASTER. also the screen scrolling is very fast too.
I will give a review once I have time to test it out.,
The subscription service for high resolution imagery is online and is fantastic ( $30 year) I have already download a bunch of stuff I plan on riding next year, very neat.
Great! Thanks. I went to their website and it looks like they are shipping the new units. Just didn't know if anybody played around with one yet. I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the 40 until I read some positive feedback. BTW, the PN-20 was the first GPS that I bought and never checked Garmin or other units before I bought the 20. The Garmin 60CSX is blazing fast on the screen redraws and auto route when compared with the 20.

I'm looking forward to your review of the 40!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
bombarde
DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Great! Thanks. I went to their website and it looks like they are shipping the new units.
Nope. Still taking pre-orders.
bombarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Ship date is close at hand. I preordered a PN-40SE in October.

http://forum.delorme.com/viewforum.p...6fb36a319ef999

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,476
Quote:
Great! Thanks. I went to their website and it looks like they are shipping the new units. Just didn't know if anybody played around with one yet. I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the 40 until I read some positive feedback. BTW, the PN-20 was the first GPS that I bought and never checked Garmin or other units before I bought the 20. The Garmin 60CSX is blazing fast on the screen redraws and auto route when compared with the 20.

I'm looking forward to your review of the 40!
But the PN20 is much better at keeping tracks and for me I like having a record of where I've been more than autorouting.

I'm also keeping a strong eye on the PN40, especially since I already have the cradle, travel kit, etc from the 20.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,476
Just a heads up:

http://thegpsstore.com has the PN 40 for 349.95, $50 bucks off retail.

I just ordered one with $9.95 second day air UPS shipping.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
JBAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The PN-20 with Xmap Professional has routing capabilities. The most exspensive part of a GPS is not tereciever it is the software on the desktop. The PN-40 with x-map 6.0 professional is solid. I have the 20 and it is good just small. For mapping and off road navigation the Delorme products are hardd to beat.
my .02
Quote:
JBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf

* NEW! 500 MB of onboard Flash memory (1 GB total hard drive)

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Price drop?

Just picked one up at Amazon for $260+$10 shipping.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Just picked one up at Amazon for $260+$10 shipping.
I'm only seeing it for $299 at Amazon. Am I missing something?
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
You are right. I guess the deal I got is gone. I have been looking for the last two weeks at it was always at $299, then I just happened to look this past week and they had it for $260, but it was through one of their subsidiary stores.

Same thing happened with the 60cx I was looking at a few months ago. When I first looked at it, price was $229. Thought that was normal and didn't get it, only to find a few days later it was up at $260 and hasn't dropped down.

J&R now have the PN-40 on their website for $340! Wow.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter
I'm only seeing it for $299 at Amazon. Am I missing something?
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Skooter
people suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
You are right. I guess the deal I got is gone. I have been looking for the last two weeks at it was always at $299, then I just happened to look this past week and they had it for $260, but it was through one of their subsidiary stores.

Same thing happened with the 60cx I was looking at a few months ago. When I first looked at it, price was $229. Thought that was normal and didn't get it, only to find a few days later it was up at $260 and hasn't dropped down.

J&R now have the PN-40 on their website for $340! Wow.

Jim
Found it $299 at Crutchfield, free shipping, no tax. Good enough. Order placed.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Skooter
people suck

Any new PN-40 users out there?

Got mine about 3 weeks ago and I'm pleased overall, except for the steep learning curve and having to refer to the manual every time I wanna do simple stuff. Topo 8 software has a big learning curve too, but I'm getting the hang of it and it appears quite powerful. The small screen aint so bad, because it's easy to find the perfect zoom level for the speed you happen to be traveling (whether you're hiking trails or riding freeway).