Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
CETME OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
The adventures of a boy and his Nighthawk.

Well guys, I'm heading out again. This report will be slightly different than my other ones. How so might you ask? Well this RR starts off with a barely functional motorcycle, no luggage, and enough money to maybe buy a box of Goldfish and some string cheese. In addition, I haven't left yet, so this first part of it is me actually putting the whole thing together. Maybe you guys can get a glimpse of my rigorous planning in which no stone is left unturned and no girl is left unkissed.

So the basic plan is this:

First stop is Wisconsin, which is home to my buddy Crissi Lyn. Some of you guys might know her as a heroine in one of my previous ride reports in which she saved me from the grasp of despair and perhaps even sodomy.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237171

Here she is on the left:

I've been best buddies with her since I was 16. She was an All-American diver and has bailed me out of trouble one too many times. The best kind of friend, great laugh, very level headed and I'm going to be honest with you, she has a sweet pair of knockers too.

The second stop is somewhere in Arizona, I suppose around Flagstaff. My buddy Kelsey is there, and to some she needs very little introduction, but to many others she might be new. If you need some background info on her, then these two might help:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295462
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345323

Here she is:

Now...... Here is the biggest problem I have. My ride. You see, The decision would normally be easy on which bike to take. The venerable Nighthawk! But within the last couple weeks, the clutch has started to go out. I suppose 30,000 miles of burnouts, hot doggin', racing starts and saving babies that fall out tall buildings has been bad for the clutch.

Here is the offending contraption:

Now I have two options. I could buy a new clutch, OR I could "simply" install the extra engine I have which has a good clutch. What do you guys think?

This is where the ride report begins, you guys decide, and I'll do it. You guys are the puppet masters for this one. I'm merely at your beck and call.

CETME screwed with this post 07-06-2008 at 11:45 AM
CETME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,256
I vote for whatever gets you on the road the fastest, because I am looking forward to the report
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
punk_emo_tx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad
I vote for whatever gets you on the road the fastest, because I am looking forward to the report
+1
punk_emo_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,359
Keep it simple. Just replace the clutch.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Take a new clutch and let the adventure begin,...NOW

Wait for another great RR

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Kayakgk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Take the 'good clutch' out of the extra engine

and install it, this saves you a little money for emergencys.

Oh and Kelsey gets cuter every ride report.
Kayakgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
FrankS
...please wait...

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CETME
..This report will be slightly different than my other ones. How so might you ask? Well this RR starts off with a barely functional motorcycle, no luggage, and enough money to maybe buy a box of Goldfish and some string cheese. ...
So, and how exactly does this make this report different from your previous ones?
Im signed up anyway, lets get started
Regards

Frank
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
CETME OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok guys, I have sat down and pondered your demands, suggestions and wisdom. As per my initial post, I truly leave the decisions to you guys who are no doubt more clever, and vastly more experienced at traveling than I. I hate to put myself down that much without giving myself a compliment, so I will say that I am probably prettier.

That being said, here is the problem:

Honda, in all their omnipotent wisdom saw it fit to install this clutch locknut, instead of making it easy like everyone else's clutch.

This locknut requires a special tool. This special tool costs $110. Lookie here what I mean:

for a more close-up view:

So as I was saying $110 ? are you kidding me? couldn't Honda have just put a regular nut on there? Why oh why did they do this to me? All the times I've stuck up for you Honda, of all the times.......

Nevertheless, I went Googling on the Yahoo, and I found that some enterprising people had used a punch and a hammer to remove the nut. Simply place the punch in one of the notches and give it a hard bang and BAM! it cries to mom and lets go.

So I decided to give it a try with a make shift punch I made from one of those flat wood drill bits.

Thank you for your sacrifice Mr. Bit, you will always have a place in my heart:

I bet you guys know what happened.

Seriously, I'm sure you do.

Yeah, you were right....

It buggered up the nut and did absolutely nothing to loosen it.
"Damn!" I yelled as I shook my fist in the air.

So I went BACK on the Nethernets and found a place right by my house that had a tool for honda clutches.

Here it is! Oh boy I'm excited!

I said this out loud: "What do you mean you wont fit?!"

I sighed, and realized that this is how things go. And I just got off the phone from ordering a $110 tool, an $8 locknut, a $40 clutch..... and $10 springs. As of right now I'm not really sure I have enough money to even cover my gas for the whole trip.

This really doesn't affect things much I don't think. I'll get there one way or another I'm sure...... right?

According to promises from 4 different vendors, I should get everything by Wednesday or Thursday, so that seems to be the departing point. If everything is not here by Thursday, I will swap engines on Thursday evening and be off on Friday...........

God save the Nighthawk.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,038
$110 !!!!! Outageous. Last one of those i bought (at least 10 years ago) was less than $10. I would replace it with a regular nut. Use an impact wrench and you don't have to buy the (probably ridiculously overpriced) clutch holding tool. That's what most mechanics use.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Cool!! Another adventure with Lars!!

Whatever happened to the Ducati you took to Europe on your last report???

Old 07-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
oh hell yes!!!

i am really looking forward to this adventure!!!

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
I'm already a little disappointed with your planned ride.. c'mon dude.. you gotta get a babe on the bike with you.. like you did in your other reports! we're not keen on seeing just your mug posing with your bike here and there...
Old 07-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
CETME OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I do in fact have an impact wrench.... I will definitely use it to get that damn thing off.....

The Monster is in Denmark at my Uncle's house. It's in his cellar hanging out with his Harley, Suzuki and Honda...... No doubt that cellar is full of good jokes and colorful language.