User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
My Mexican non-adventure.... adventure.... or something like that

With big plans of exploring Northeast Mexico, I set out on my well equipped 1997 Honda XR650L.

First off, you've got to say goodbye to the family.

Then the boring roads...

... And being bored

Welcome to Texas. Where the roads are friendly, and people drive on the shoulder of the road for you to pass them.

Good food and good people.

Problem number one.

I knew I smelt something burning...... Well... i did a bad packing job. I used my bike cover as a backrest... well, when it became uncomfortable... i flipped it up.... and onto the exhaust. I reckon it sat on the pipe for 2 hours...: I'm just glad it didnt catch fire.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Thanks to Tourmeister for hosting the TWTex BBQ. I'm glad I got to meet the folks that I did.

After leaving Scott's house I continued west, aiming for Lake Corpus Christi for another TWTexan's house to spend the night. "I'll leave the bottom floor unlocked for you." :trust:

Well, soon after leaving Huntsville, its like someone told the big boss man up stairs to paint a different landscape. I went from pineywoods to scrubby, desert-ier, terrain full of cattle and my first cactuses. What I didnt notice, while enjoying the landscape was the piece of paneling in the road.... that the car in front of me kicked up.

Kicked up, meaning, I drove through a 4ft x8ft x 1/4" piece of brown wall paneling that was standing on its side.... I didnt know what the freak that was..... I thought I might need to check my shorts after that, but I just pissed myself.:-P I didnt get a picture of this event, unfortunately.... but a couple miles down the road, i tried to use my HWY pegs. turns out i picked up a hitch-hiker... a 1ft square-ish piece I kicked it off and watched it land square across the hood the the car tailgating me... they backed off.

Then, after seeing several pieces of paneling on the road, I caught up to the source.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,340

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Bruce, I dont want to dissappoint you.... stop reading now....
Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

I passed through a few little towns that seemed pretty cool. Round Top and a little town called La Grange.... did ZZ name the song after this town?

And, there must be a bunch of Checks? cheqs? chex? Czechs? In this town... I saw all sorts of Czech items for sale and vendors on the sides of the road...

Now... the funishly SUCKY part. The next 200 miles of rain.

By the way... the first rain shot where I am wearing the bandana... It works great until saturated, where then it becomes a Highspeed death trap torture device.... You cant breath through wet cloth! I almost panicked because I had the bottom going under the chin strap....
Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

In the last shot above, I stopped at a gas station hoping the rain would slack....... nope. I musterd up, left the store clerk a $1 tip to have to mop up after me.... and hit the road again.

I was blessed with a big rays of sunshine after the rain stopped.

I grew closer to Mike's place on Lake Corpus Christi. But, because I didnt have detailed maps of the area in the GPS, I had to search for it like a geocache. After being unsucessful and the sun going down, I stopped in Sandia, Texas, to ask a sheriff where I needed to go. Him--"Down the road, the first pavement to your right, take a right at the quickstop." Me---"Thanks, take it easy, write the next guy a ticket!" Him---"You be careful on that thing" Me "Yes-sir, trying to get off the road before the road rats (deer) get out!"

So, just incase you were wondering. I was still looking for a geocache'd house. Geo-referencing and encoding has a problem with addresses. It takes a lot of math to try and get an address transferred into a nice healthy lat/long waypoint.... well, mine was off by about a mile. I had the address but no phone number. I think i find it so I go to knock on the door. Sure enough there is a dual sport bike tire on a trailer out front, and a KLR under the carport. Must be the right place. Hmmmm downstairs, lets go see if the door's unlocked. Yep. Hmmm more bikes!

The View

Host and Hostess. Thanks again guys! Mike and his wife let me borrow their bottom floor. I joined them at a friend's house for BBQ later that evening, giving my clothes time to dry out after the evening's time in the rain.

The next morning, I woke up to an ominous sky.... soon to be rain. Late start.

We ate breakfast, my first time to have breakfast tacos. Very nice. Saddled up, said my thank-yous and good-byes, headed south. The road away from my hosts' house was nice and curvey for a change.... until I got to Hwy 281 which is a whole lot of nothingness for and flatness for 150 miles or so.

But, the mesquite trees divided the hwys and cacti lined the ditches.

Sunflower fields.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
bongodave
Legalize it, already

Oddometer: 39,122
Rain sucks.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Streeter
Has Coping Skills

Oddometer: 245
[QUOTE=

By the way... the first rain shot where I am wearing the bandana... It works great until saturated, where then it becomes a Highspeed death trap torture device.... You cant breath through wet cloth! ..[/QUOTE]

Long ago before full face helmets I always kept an old silk handkerchief in my jacket pocket. You can still breathe through the silk when it gets wet.
Streeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
Don't Mess With Texas!
I'm going to hang around and see what happens next.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

I got the chance to make a smart ass comment today.... a guy asked what I got to see in Mexico.... "Mexicans".... Of course I got that from Queintin Tarantino's From Dusk til Dawn....
Old 07-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
kpick
Free Range Human

Oddometer: 700
Outback,
Glad to hear you are still up for the ride.
Here are a few tips that I used riding and living down here.

Make copies of everything, ID, Passport, registration and title to the bike.
I purchased Mexican Insurance online prior to leaving my house:
http://www.mexadventure.com/
You can pay on line and print it out right then and there. They also seem to have the best rates.

I spent four months riding down to Central American and always carried a dummy wallet.

Keep an expired drivers license, a couple of expired credit cards and $50 to $100
of cash in it.
The rest of the money is well hidden on me and the bike.
Also tape a spare key somewhere hidden on the bike as well.

My experience is that ALL boarder towns are shit boxes. Get 50 miles past and its a whole new ride.
In fact, grab the paper work and use an ATM for pesos then get the hell out on the road.

You will find the Mexican people amazingly friendly and helpful.
Keep a big smile, some humility and try the language (every really badly) and you will have a blast.

While on my trip I had no problems, nada, zero.

Im fact, I was pulled over twice. Once over doing 90MPH in a 40MPH zone and once riding the wrong way down a one way road. Both times I was let off with a warning.
That would NEVER happen here in California.

Keep an open mind and you will come back with a slightly enriched soul.
Travel well,
K

www.NationalCPRCertification.com
kpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #12
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Howdy Kpick,

Yeah... I had copies of all my stuff. I didnt want to get insurance before I got to the border because I didnt know how long it would take to get down there.... I had no schedule for this trip.... So, no need to pay for an extra day or have to wait an extra day. I didnt even think about the seguros stands being closed on Sunday.

Dummy wallet. I always carry a dummy wallet on bike trips or international trips. Although i only use about $20 bucks and a couple bucks in the local currency. I still have about $10 in Colones (Costa Rican Currency) from my first trip down there, and about $5 in cordobas (Nicaraguan currency) too.
I have a few of those "This is not a credit card" fake credit cards that they send in the mail.

Looks pretty real. I dont think they would be trying to go through the wallet when you give it to them....

I knew the process that i needed to do to cross... but was extremely confused especially when I had about 20 different guys wave me through.... the military guys with assault rifles were quite convincing when they wave me on with the guns.

I knew I messed up as soon as I crossed and was immediately faced with a town. I tell you I was scared slightly shitless... whenever I realized my mistake...

I have found that all the Latin American folks i've run across to be extremely helpful and friendly. Its the people that draws me to the countries as much as the climate and topography.

I learn more spanish almost every day.... I can speak nearly fluent spainglish and can get my point across quickly con las palabras that I know.

I am a generally open minded individual all together.... why else would I have traveled to Mexico? Or Costa Rica or Nicaragua? I hear more bad stuff coming from people who have absolutely no clue what they are talking about, and absolute encouragement from those who do know what the are talking about. I try to listen to the latter more often than the other.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Wicked

A good place to enter Mexico is Piedras Negras Coah. Sometimes they check veh. entering right there at the bridge . Then its a quick ride thru town and approx. 25 -30 mile
ride into the interior until u reach the checkpoint . There one can get his or her permit/visa usually very quickly (non holiday season). Its further north on the border than Reynosa, Matamoros or Laredo.

Another crossing is Miguel Aleman Tamps. (across from Roma Tx. )
We crossed there last year on the way to Galeana .

Hey kpick , what about that Mex -Guate crossing or Guate to Honduras @ Florida . My favorite is Guatemala to El Salvador . Its the route i use from now on.

Have fun !!!!

ChangoGS screwed with this post 07-10-2008 at 07:35 PM
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS
A good place to enter Mexico is Piedras Negras Coah. Sometimes they check veh. entering right there at the bridge . Then its a quick ride thru town and approx. 25 -30 mile
ride into the interior until u reach the checkpoint . There one can get his or her permit/visa usually very quickly (non holiday season). Its further north on the border than Reynosa, Matamoros or Laredo.

Another crossing is Miguel Aleman Tamps. (across from Roma Tx. )
We crossed there last year on the way to Galeana .

Hey kpick , what about that Mex -Guate crossing or Guate to Honduras @ Florida . My favorite is Guatemala to El Salvador . Its the route i use from now on.

Have fun !!!!
Yeah, I wanted to do the Los Ebanos crossing east of Mission, Tx. There is a hand drawn ferry there. But, was advised against it because it was sunday... I'm thinking about driving the car down there with the wife soon.... gets similar gas mileage as my bike.... and has AC....
Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,270
My first motorcycle trip to Mexico I thought I was going to die. I only spent one night. I thought I was going to die. The second day, I slept till noon, then rode like I stole something, from Tampico to New Orleans. Something like 1500 miles in 31 hours- not on purpose, but because I was scared.

Next time it'll be a kazillion times easier.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote